U/C: [Adelaide Entertainment Centre] Carpark | $11m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #U/C : Ent. Centre Upgrade | $50m | (2,500) | Hindmarsh

#166 Post by Pants » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:56 pm

Forgot about the pics on Design Inc's site. Came across them late last year and meant to put them up - thanks for the reminder:

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#167 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:50 pm

All-day park, tram ride - for $2

A $2-a-day "park'n'ride" facility at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre is expected to take about 700 cars off city streets daily.

Premier Mike Rann today announced that drivers parking at the facility would be able to travel by tram to the city for free.

With city workers typically paying up to $50 a week for parking, the government will provide the 700 cheap car spaces on the city fringe.

"This is a way to encourage people back to public transport," Premier Mike Rann told journalists in the Entertainment Centre car park this morning.

The new tram service linking the Port Road centre to the city begins operating at the end of February.

"This park `n' ride is part of our plan to make Adelaide a more sustainable and liveable city - it will reduce car numbers in the CBD and encourage people to use public transport," Mr Rann said.

The government has also purchased six new trams to increase capacity on the tram service.

The Entertainment Centre is undergoing a $52 million upgrade.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#168 Post by skyliner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:22 am

Norman wrote:
skyliner wrote:Norman, another statement from ignorance - if this new Ent. Cent. is an adjunct or addition to THE Ent. Cent., where is the original? (Nth. Tce?). :mrgreen:

SA - STATE ON TYHE MOVE
There is no 'new' Entertainment Centre. This new Warehouse venue simply sits in front of the current Entertainment Centre, located on Port Road, Hindmarsh. Hope the map below helps (thanks to nearmap for the imagery).
Thanks Norman - VERY helpful.

BTW - Pants - excellent renders - esp the last one. Saw the complex on my tour of 'inspection of Works' on 7/1/10 - will look every bit as good as the renders IMO.

Sorry I missed the opening of thetramline.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Xaragmata

#169 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:17 am

From Thursday - LED panels being installed on the illuminated display across the new entertainment venue:

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#170 Post by SRW » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:58 pm

Was at the Governor Hindmarsh last week and noticed the dome lit up in changing colours. I'm rather pleased -- a huge improvement on what was.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Xaragmata

#171 Post by Xaragmata » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:39 pm

From Friday - LED panels installed on the new venue:

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#172 Post by Shuz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:46 pm

I still stand by my statement; this is the ugliest, most wasteful expense of taxpayers money I have ever seen in the Rann Labor Government's lifetime.

Epic fail.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#173 Post by Will » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:30 pm

Shuz wrote:I still stand by my statement; this is the ugliest, most wasteful expense of taxpayers money I have ever seen in the Rann Labor Government's lifetime.

Epic fail.
Please explain.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#174 Post by Shuz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:57 pm

First of all, location, location, location! It should not in the suburbia, not "near the city", but in the city!

To justify spending $50m constructing a poorly designed and rather useless warehouse entertainment facility, at a lesser capacity, without any consideration for improving, or better yet, rebuilding the main entertainment venue up to scratch of today's standards.

Let alone adding on some wanky dome thing so hideously ugly, and it literally looks like a white elephant, for the sake of what? So people can gaze at the skies for ten minutes before they go inside. These people are spending their money inside the venue, on the show they are seeing, in the facilities they are using. If any money's going to be thrown around, spend it where it matters! Improved lighting, better seating, new bathrooms, etc. Things that matter!

And then spending another $100m on a tramline extension to the venue, taking up space on one of the city's busiest arterial roads, adjacent the urban fabric, rather than within it - did DTEI even review potential passenger numbers of this extension? I fail to see where the numbers would lie, other than those gathered at events, held once every week at most.

I would have much rathered spend $150m on acquiring underutilized city land to have built a world class entertainment venue, in the heart of the CBD, accessible to all forms of transport, to the standards of 21st century technology and facilities. Hell, more money could have been raised by selling off the land at the Entertainment Centre site which would have been good potential for urban infill.

So, to further my statement this and the tramline extension are the most wasteful expense of taxpayers money by this Rann Labor Government. And if I'm to believe anything of the story on the desalination plant, that too.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#175 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:56 pm

shuz that is shocking. Your post looks like a letter to the Advertiser editor or something posted on Adelaide now :lol:

If you dont spend money on making the city look slightly lavish, you end up a fairly dull boring city. Just look at your beloved Melbourne with the huge amount of 'wanky', unneccesary projects such as street art and sculptures, promenades, even southern cross station. There's no need for them but look what it does to the vibe of the city. Spencer St station was perfectly ok as a railway station, but it 'looked daggy'. Now look at it after a billion $ later. It shows a city on the move

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#176 Post by Shuz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:36 pm

Useful wankiness is okay. The SX station is actually good on the inside, so deservingly, it should look just as good on the outside.

The Entertainment Centre (if you can call it that) is not. It's not good inside, it doesn't even look good on the outside either. It's just shit, with more shit added on.

And please tell me, how is there going to be "vibe"... in Hindmarsh, of all places? Noone goes there, they just drive by there.

I'm all for a city's progress. Just not in the middle of suburbia and becoming monolithic white elephants.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#177 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:46 pm

bear(bare I think) in mind a very large housing TOD development will occur on the other side of Port Rd in the next few (hopefully) years. Could be a bustling area in years to come

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#178 Post by crawf » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:56 pm

Aswell as the Port Road tramline extension which will open the area up for development. You only need to look at southern King William Street and overseas to what light rail can do for rundown part of a city.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#179 Post by Shuz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:53 pm

crawf wrote:Aswell as the Port Road tramline extension which will open the area up for development. You only need to look at southern King William Street and overseas to what light rail can do for rundown part of a city.
I'm all for the expansion of Adelaide's tram network, and to a great extent, but you just do not place a light rail corridor in the middle of a road with traffic volumes upwards of 64,500 vpd.

To put into comparision, the busiest road in the whole of Adelaide is believed to be the apex of the South Road/Goodwood Road intersection at Darlington, which carries 69,400 vpd. Would you place a light rail corridor there? I think not!

Figures taken from the DTEI - http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/transpor ... olumes.asp if you want to take a look.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#180 Post by AtD » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:37 am

So Port Rd is too narrow...?