[COM] Coles Norwood Redevelopment | 8 Lvls

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: PRO: Coles Norwood Redevelopment | 8 Lvls

#46 Post by crawf » Wed May 28, 2014 2:51 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Probably the most exciting point I noticed was that Adelaide's very first GRILL'D Fresh Burger restaurant :banana: will be opening there in the coming months (where Billy Baxters was), their application for a liquor license went through the May 5 NP&SP Council Meeting and seemingly was approved, their staff have all been hired and are in training. Amongst the agenda I managed to find a floor-plan for the store, which I'll post with this...
:banana:

Vee
Legendary Member!

#47 Post by Vee » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:28 pm

Coles redevelopment of its Norwood supermarket, Norwood Mall and car park stalled?

The number of empty shops in the Norwood Mall has increased. Some traders have already gone and others have relocated (eg Travel Agent to the vibrant Norwood Place opposite).
Some remain in a state of limbo amidst the deserted shops.

A report in Messenger Press suggests that ...
COLES has refused to commit to a start date for its $50 million revamp of Norwood Mall, a year after plans for the upgrade were approved.
And traders say the uncertainty surrounding the project is driving customers away.
NPSP Council has given Coles a 12 month extension.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#48 Post by Vee » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:20 pm

Several new "pop up" / short lease shops have appeared in the Norwood Mall in recent weeks. This has partially helped to stem the gloom for remaining traders by adding a bit more life to the precinct, but the uncertainty continues.

"Will we ever get the $50 million new (Coles) Norwood Village?
Parade Magazine:
http://www.parademagazine.com.au/will-w ... od-village

I think the location (towards the rear) opposite James Coke Park and adjacent Edward St is ideal for some residential development to be integrated into a scaled-down proposal. (Supermarket, underground parking, fewer shops/cafés - replaced by apartments). Norwood has an abundance of cafés, restaurants and shops already and I would rather see apartments overlooking the park.

Café culture is more suited to the "passing parade" with alfresco style outdoor areas which complement passing cosmopolitan pedestrian traffic and a mix of shops and local business.

This is a great site. An injection of more residents along the Parade eg the Nuova and Bath Hotel developments, and in this vicinity, would add to the Parade's day/night time population and viability of local business.

Is it too late for a re-think by Coles to go back to the original idea of a mixed development with a residential component?

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#49 Post by Waewick » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Vee wrote:Several new "pop up" / short lease shops have appeared in the Norwood Mall in recent weeks. This has partially helped to stem the gloom for remaining traders by adding a bit more life to the precinct, but the uncertainty continues.

"Will we ever get the $50 million new (Coles) Norwood Village?
Parade Magazine:
http://www.parademagazine.com.au/will-w ... od-village

I think the location (towards the rear) opposite James Coke Park and adjacent Edward St is ideal for some residential development to be integrated into a scaled-down proposal. (Supermarket, underground parking, fewer shops/cafés - replaced by apartments). Norwood has an abundance of cafés, restaurants and shops already and I would rather see apartments overlooking the park.

Café culture is more suited to the "passing parade" with alfresco style outdoor areas which complement passing cosmopolitan pedestrian traffic and a mix of shops and local business.

This is a great site. An injection of more residents along the Parade eg the Nuova and Bath Hotel developments, and in this vicinity, would add to the Parade's day/night time population and viability of local business.

Is it too late for a re-think by Coles to go back to the original idea of a mixed development with a residential component?
memory is lame, but didn't the council knock it back?

but still, something needs to be done - it is an eye sore in what should be a prime location.

Ho Really

#50 Post by Ho Really » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:14 pm

I had a brief chat with the departing manager of Coles on Monday regarding this development. He said it's still on the cards and should get a start at the end of the year barring any issues. He has seen the plans and mentioned an underground car park and apartments above the shopping centre. He also said it would be great if they included a Liquorland, which is not part of the plan.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by how good is he » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:51 am

Well if that start date is likely they would need to submit some plans and get an approval pretty quickly.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#52 Post by how good is he » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:55 am

I heard a deal here is imminent. Would be good to finally see some plans and get it underway.

Ho Really

#53 Post by Ho Really » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:27 pm

Noticed yesterday (21 FEB) surveyors marking the floor of the mall with spray cans. I guess they were marking where the utilities and conduits are located. Could this be a prelude to site works before demolition?

Cheers

Jamminmelo15
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#54 Post by Jamminmelo15 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:37 am

Hey guys,
I work at Coles Norwood :D Back in January upper management told us that development and store closure was around 12 months away - early 2020. So it's totally possible that surveying and utilities inspections are already underway!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by Ben » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:57 pm

Application has been lodged
Demolition of supermarket, ancillary shop buildings and removal of three significant trees, and construction of an eight-storey mixed use development, incorporating supermarket, shops, commercial tenancies, residential flat buildings, and ancillary car parking - to be undertaken in stages.
https://saplanningportal.sa.gov.au/publ ... w-4612-LUA

Ho Really

#56 Post by Ho Really » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:24 pm

I was hoping they'd do this in stages so it would allow shoppers to continue to shop at the supermarket, but now I am uncertain. Not enough info, besides I'm overseas so can't ask any questions yet to management. If someone else can please post.

Cheers

Levesque
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#57 Post by Levesque » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Plans lodged for $110m, eight-storey Norwood Mall upgrade with expanded Coles supermarket

Plans have been lodged for a $110 million plan to transform Norwood Mall into a contemporary retail and residential complex.

Australasian Property Developments has applied to the State Government’s assessment panel to build four towers on land bounded by Edward St, George St and The Parade.

It includes an expanded Coles supermarket, new retail outlets and two levels of offices, which could include medical services, in an eight-storey building.

The upper levels would house 24 two-storey townhouses and there would be 387 car spaces across the ground, first and second floors.

Two five-storey towers would be home to 40 apartments and four penthouses.

In addition, nine apartments – and a further 18 parking spaces – are proposed for a three-storey complex facing George St.

Seven trees would be removed to make way for the development but a 127-year-old cork tree and a large river red gum will be retained.
Colliers retail manager Lauren Smith, who is in charge of leasing the retail outlets and office space, described it as an “amazing” development opportunity for Norwood.

“It will be fantastic to finally have something happening on this site,” she said“We expect strong demand (for the retail spaces) on the doorstep of the latest Coles supermarket.”

Miss Smith envisaged a similar level of demand for the medical and allied health elements.
APD managing director Pep Rocca said in January the project would deliver an “enhanced shopping precinct” for the local community.

“We’re trying to complement the other shops in the area and I think this will centralise the heart of Norwood and bring it back to where it was 10 or 15 years ago,” Mr Rocca said.

“We’re trying to make the townhouses very spacious and liveable, targeting owner-occupiers – retirees, young families, professionals.”

Construction is expected to start towards the end of next year and take two years to complete.
Attachments
norwood coles.jpg

Ho Really

#58 Post by Ho Really » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:17 pm

Anyone have the plans (a link) for this development now that it has been approved?

Cheers

P.S. Anyone know whether some of the trees to be removed can be replanted. I'm referring to the plane trees.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#59 Post by Norman » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:07 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:17 pm
Anyone have the plans (a link) for this development now that it has been approved?

Cheers

P.S. Anyone know whether some of the trees to be removed can be replanted. I'm referring to the plane trees.
Here's the link:
https://www.saplanningcommission.sa.gov ... hments.pdf

ChillyPhilly

[COM] Re: Coles Norwood Redevelopment | 8 Lvls

#60 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:19 pm

I work at the edge of the Edward Street carpark. Looking forward to this development. At least this will be easy to provide updates on!
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.