News & Developments: Glenelg

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Is it the end of major development at Glenelg ???

#46 Post by gregrogers257 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:00 pm

Will wrote:
gregrogers257 wrote: Unfortunately Platinum will probably be the last 'high-rise' building built in Glenelg for the next generation. I say this because in the Messenger there was a profile for all the 10 candidates running for the Glenelg ward, and all of them are opposed to more 'high-rise', and two of them even suggested that they would ban all type of new development (even houses) in Glenelg because the 'character' of the region is under attack. The current council has some modern, progress-loving members, however with the council election later on this year, they will all be replaced by relics from the 1890's. And the race for the mayoralty has suffered a blow from our point of view with former Holdfast Bay mayor, Brian Nadilo (the man who helped Holdfast Shores come to fruition) deciding not to contest the poll. This leaves the incumbent Dr. Rollond, another anti-progress person and a candidate who wants to build a 20 storey call centre in Brighton and who has been in jail.
:cry:
Actually I think it might be a good thing if development stopped at glenelg as we don't want it to become a trashy surfers paradise suburb.....
I hate the gold coast.......

I notice there are some developments going on in other coastal suburbs.... In west lakes there's two 7 to 8 storey apartment buildings
going up not far from the lakes hotel..... and also there's the Newport Quays development going up in Port adelaide........

In 10 or 15 years there could be quite a few coastal suburbs like glenelg.........that would be good...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#47 Post by crawf » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:09 am

Mants wrote:
crawf wrote:
that is so bloody pathetic, far out i wish the state government would get rid of holdfast bay and ACC.
umm... :?
what do you mean umm?. I'm talking about the City of Holdfast Bay, not the actually bay :roll:
Will wrote:Crawf, this is simply just the candidate's idea. He as a person does not have the finance to build such a building and I doubt it would be permitted anyway or be economically feasable. And this person does not have a realistic chance in winning the mayoralty, as the Messenger has pretty much made him out to be an 'un-balanced' person. I think Dr. Rollond will be re-elected.
oh okay

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by Will » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:41 am

gregrogers257 wrote:
Will wrote:
gregrogers257 wrote: Unfortunately Platinum will probably be the last 'high-rise' building built in Glenelg for the next generation. I say this because in the Messenger there was a profile for all the 10 candidates running for the Glenelg ward, and all of them are opposed to more 'high-rise', and two of them even suggested that they would ban all type of new development (even houses) in Glenelg because the 'character' of the region is under attack. The current council has some modern, progress-loving members, however with the council election later on this year, they will all be replaced by relics from the 1890's. And the race for the mayoralty has suffered a blow from our point of view with former Holdfast Bay mayor, Brian Nadilo (the man who helped Holdfast Shores come to fruition) deciding not to contest the poll. This leaves the incumbent Dr. Rollond, another anti-progress person and a candidate who wants to build a 20 storey call centre in Brighton and who has been in jail.
:cry:
Actually I think it might be a good thing if development stopped at glenelg as we don't want it to become a trashy surfers paradise suburb.....
I hate the gold coast.......

I notice there are some developments going on in other coastal suburbs.... In west lakes there's two 7 to 8 storey apartment buildings
going up not far from the lakes hotel..... and also there's the Newport Quays development going up in Port adelaide........

In 10 or 15 years there could be quite a few coastal suburbs like glenelg.........that would be good...
The Gold Coast has more high-rise buildings than all of Soth Australia put together, so comparing it to Glenelg is very innacurate and sensationalist. We have to keep in mind that Glenelg only has 8-10 buildings which could be called high-rise. The Gold Coast has like 400 or so.

tidus0
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#49 Post by tidus0 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:29 pm

the reason is because there isn't much left for families all it is turning into is a large precint of either hotel or appartment buildings that people don't want to go see going to one of the cities best areas for families well that is what it used to be.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by AtD » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:39 pm

Well all the new hotels and apartments in Holdfast Shores were built on what used to just be car park. There's actually -more- green space now.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#51 Post by JAKJ » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:54 pm

tidus0 wrote:the reason is because there isn't much left for families all it is turning into is a large precint of either hotel or appartment buildings that people don't want to go see going to one of the cities best areas for families well that is what it used to be.
well there is 80km + of underveloped coastline for families... birghton for instance (only 5-10 min from glenelg! and a better beach too)

We need at least one properly developed costal area!

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

#52 Post by gregrogers257 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:02 pm

Will wrote:
The Gold Coast has more high-rise buildings than all of Soth Australia put together, so comparing it to Glenelg is very innacurate and sensationalist. We have to keep in mind that Glenelg only has 8-10 buildings which could be called high-rise. The Gold Coast has like 400 or so.
What you say here is correct, but look at how many buildings have gone up in glenelg over the last 10 years......if the same number were to go up
in the next 10 yrs, then we would have a mini surfers paradies.........none of us would want that....

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#53 Post by AtD » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:36 am

Yeah, who would want a booming tourist economy?

What is with the phobia of Queensland?

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#54 Post by Pistol » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:43 pm

AtD wrote:Yeah, who would want a booming tourist economy?

Maybe its the development at any cost ideal of Queensland that we are afraid of. Those people on the beaches of the Gold Coast must be glad that the sun sets on the beach at 2PM! I think that there is smart development and then there is Queensland.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by Will » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:03 pm

gregrogers257 wrote:
Will wrote:
What you say here is correct, but look at how many buildings have gone up in glenelg over the last 10 years......if the same number were to go up
in the next 10 yrs, then we would have a mini surfers paradies.........none of us would want that....
What I don't want to happen is for Glenelg to become stagnated. If the council is succesful in banning development at Glenelg I think that, that will send a very negative message for potential investors. The council will be saying, "Glenelg is closed for business, except nursing homes and Devonshire Tea parlours"
Leaving Glenelg as it is today may not appear that bad, but lets move forward to say the year 2026. If Glenelg looks exactly the same in 2026 as it does today it will become irrelevant, and embarrassing. As Glenelg will always be our premier coastal destination if it remains stagnated it will send a very negative message to the youth, visitors and progress-loving members of our society and reflect badly on Adelaide as a whole. Just like the old airport was a symbol of the perceived backwardness of Adelaide, a stagnated Glenelg will also become such a symbol. Just imagine how irrelevant Glenelg would look like today if none of the developments carried out in the last 10 years had not occurred. If development is banned, the people of the future will say the same thing.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#56 Post by Pistol » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:57 pm

Will wrote:
gregrogers257 wrote:
Will wrote:
What I don't want to happen is for Glenelg to become stagnated. If the council is succesful in banning development at Glenelg I think that, that will send a very negative message for potential investors. The council will be saying, "Glenelg is closed for business, except nursing homes and Devonshire Tea parlours"
Leaving Glenelg as it is today may not appear that bad, but lets move forward to say the year 2026. If Glenelg looks exactly the same in 2026 as it does today it will become irrelevant, and embarrassing. As Glenelg will always be our premier coastal destination if it remains stagnated it will send a very negative message to the youth, visitors and progress-loving members of our society and reflect badly on Adelaide as a whole. Just like the old airport was a symbol of the perceived backwardness of Adelaide, a stagnated Glenelg will also become such a symbol. Just imagine how irrelevant Glenelg would look like today if none of the developments carried out in the last 10 years had not occurred. If development is banned, the people of the future will say the same thing.
Completely agree Will. We cannot let this city stay stagnant for any period (like in the 90s) and we definatley cannot let Glenelg stagnate. Bring back Mayor Nadilo.

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

no gold coast

#57 Post by gregrogers257 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:19 pm

AtD wrote:Yeah, who would want a booming tourist economy?

The phobia is not with queensland its with the gold coast.
The gold coast is trashy........ The beauty of the place has been ruined with all the buildings. The sunsets at 2pm in the afternoon. We dont want that here.......

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: no gold coast

#58 Post by AtD » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:54 pm

gregrogers257 wrote:The sunsets at 2pm in the afternoon. We dont want that here.......
There'd have to be some bloody tall buildings on the Yorke Peninsula for that to happen in Glenelg.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

Re: no gold coast

#59 Post by JAKJ » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:19 pm

AtD wrote:
gregrogers257 wrote:The sunsets at 2pm in the afternoon. We dont want that here.......
There'd have to be some bloody tall buildings on the Yorke Peninsula for that to happen in Glenelg.
haha yeah that is a good point, no overshadowing issues for Adelaide beaches in the afternoon (and who goes to the beach early morning to sun/tan anyway??)

East facing beaches suck.. they have a fairly big issue with overshadowing in cairns aswell as there is a mountain range right next to the ocean, and the sun sets behind it... so you lose the sun fairly early in the evening in some places

lindsay
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#60 Post by lindsay » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:26 am

Well at least there is one positive action to improve council unity and start to develop Glenelg for the whole community.

The Broadway Kiosk fiasco has at least one mayoral candidate talking some sense about future action. http://forums.rewards-club.com/showthread.php?t=93