[U/C] Westfield Tea Tree Plaza (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: Marion upgrade

#16 Post by crawf » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:04 pm

Mants wrote:
gregrogers257 wrote:Also how are they going to fit in another 200 stores there ????
3rd level?
thats what i reacon they will do. Tho could Adelaide handly a mega shopping centre with 620 shops?

beamer. Bondi Junction is not the biggest, Parramatta is

from the westfield site

Paramatta - 562 stores
Southland - 506 stores
Bondi Junction - 455 stores

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#17 Post by Ben » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:10 pm

Number of stores isn't a real indication I am talking about square metres as in actual size but yes Parramatta was the one I was thinking of (5 levels)

tidus0
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C]

#18 Post by tidus0 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:51 pm

ahh no shopping center at the moment is going to over beat marion the office tower is apart of the complex it is like way big the megaplex has like 22 cinema's it has been for a while the southern hemishper's largest shopping centre (although collonades is the same walking length it is still too much smaller) westfield will not make tea tree plaza bigger then marion. Marion is the biggest landmark away from the city and glenelg and it brings in a couple of thousand of customers a day. The fact it has around 456 stores it is hard to beat that it has just under the amount of stores in the worlds largest shopping centre. If they were to extend the 3rd floor to go over the rest of the mall that would put in another 200 odd stores and if they put in a standford hotel at one end a theme park and another cinema complex it would more likely be announced the worlds largest shopping centre.

Have you noticed the tags above the shops? over 2000 if they had one store per shop we would already have 2000 odd shops.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#19 Post by AG » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:07 pm

Westfield Marion has never held the title of the southern hemisphere's largest shopping centre. It is certainly up there as amongst one of Australia's largest though. Chadstone in Melbourne holds the title of Australia's largest AFAIK.

I did remember reading somewhere that claimed that Tea Tree Plaza was the largest in Australia at the time of its construction some 30-40 years ago. I'm not sure if this is true or not.

There is one massive shopping centre under construction in Kowloon Bay in Hong Kong that will top 19 floors, called the Mega Box, and each floor seems to cover a reasonable amount of space.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#20 Post by AtD » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:34 pm

tidus0 wrote:Marion is the biggest landmark away from the city and glenelg and it brings in a couple of thousand of customers a day
It'd be fuckloads more than that, probably closer to a hundred thousand per day in December.

According to their website, there's 421 stores in Marion and 5500 car parks.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#21 Post by Ben » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:15 pm

According to my mates mum who works for Westfield says that early next year the Marion redevelopment will start. It will be in stages and the food court will be the first stage to get upgraded. After this the new carpark is to go on top of the existing one behind target and the additional shops will be in a new mall near ANZ from what she understands it will be an exclusive area similar to Chadstone with upmarket brands but will be even more "upmarket" with carpeted malls and "special" services, what they are she does not know at this stage.

And Tidus. No offence but you are not even close. Marion is big in Adelaide's standards and even Australia but would be lucky to make the top 30 worldwide. You should hear of the ones through Asia, America and Canada. For the record the worlds largest shopping centre is West Edmonton in Canada. Over 900 stores, 2 theme parks, a theatre, worlds largest cinema complex, imax, two hotels, swimming centre and water park, ice skating rink, bowling alley, 110 eateries including a china town section, a mini zoo (including daily shows with seals and sea lions). Doeasn't quite compare....
Last edited by Ben on Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#22 Post by Howie » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:18 pm

Sounds promising, i was down this way with my partner today.. looks like they've already relocated the toilets around the food courts. Perhaps they're moving quicker than expected on this.

So that's two westfield shopping centers being upgraded simultaneously in adelaide next year.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#23 Post by Ben » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:35 pm

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C]

#24 Post by crawf » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:43 am

beamer85 wrote:exclusive area similar to Chadstone with upmarket brands but will be even more "upmarket" with carpeted malls and "special" services, what they are she does not know at this stage.
Im a bit confused why Westfield are going to do this, because Modbury is far from a rich area.
For the record the worlds largest shopping centre is West Edmonton in Canada. Over 900 stores, 2 theme parks, a theatre, worlds largest cinema complex, imax, two hotels, swimming centre and water park, ice skating rink, bowling alley, 110 eateries including a china town section, a mini zoo (including daily shows with seals and sea lions). Doeasn't quite compare....
Is that complex in the actually CBD?? ,or in the suburbs

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#25 Post by AG » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:23 am

Out in the suburbs of Edmonton. It's certainly a bit of a killer of action in downtown Edmonton though.

tidus0
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C]

#26 Post by tidus0 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:18 am

i don't mean to break it to you but west edminton only has just over 800 stores and less then 900 stores so whoever told you the over 900 is lying.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#27 Post by Ben » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:13 pm

Hey Tidus I got the info straight off the website... it was upgraded at the start of 2006 so maybe your info is old?

...and Crawf the upmarket mall I was talking about is to be built at Marion not TTP.

tidus0
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C]

#28 Post by tidus0 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:35 pm

??? i can read i never said anything about TTP

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#29 Post by Ben » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:42 am

tidus0 wrote:??? i can read i never said anything about TTP
Tidus I was talking to Crawf.