250 homes to be demolished for 650 new ones

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Sparks
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: 250 homes to be demolished for 650 new ones

#16 Post by Sparks » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:12 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:01 am
More ticky tacky shoeboxes with thin walls :roll:
:applause:
I agree. It'll be a concrete cancer not unlike that which killed Glenelgs quiet beauty and turned into a tourist trap of restaurants and high rise sea side apartments that block the view of the sea. Ugly and grotesque. Trumps wall exists on the foreshore.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by dbl96 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:05 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:52 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:24 pm
So let's bulldoze 250 run down homes, that if renovated might actually have some character in favour of building 650 shit looking shoeboxes that in twenty years will look terrible. Great idea.
These developments all depend on the quality of the landscaping and public shared treatments. If the housing departments just bungs these up, scatters a few tiny trees and grass plants around, it will look terrible within no time. It always seems landscaping is an afterthought with designing these projects, but it is such a critical component. There is unfortunately also a distinct tendency in SA for people not to even look after what is right outside their own front gate. If this starts off with the usual lazy landscape design, and a begrudging twice a year leaf blow and street sweep by the council...this WILL look terrible-and hot. If however the relevant department within state government came to an arrangement for funding councils specifically to maintain these areas with a high proportion of low income/public housing, it would mean a better outcome all round. Areas with a high visibility of council workers on a regular basis would reduce street crime/ drug dealing/ prostitution, petty property damage and theft. We are having an explosion of unemployment-especially young and those with lower education. It is the perfect time to put these people into proper paid work which will also increase pride in the community.
The current fashion with landscaping in public spaces is to do plantings rather than lawns. This is a good thing. If properly maintained, plantings are often much more interesting and attractive than lawn. They also tend to be more water efficient than lawn. However, public plantings in Adelaide are rarely maintained. They look great when they are first planted, but because government and councils are unwilling to invest money in regular maintenance, they quickly become overgrown and infested with weeds. If we are going to do landscaping in this way, it needs to be accompanied by a proper maintenance program. Singapore is a good example of where this is done well.

HBSPYDA
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#18 Post by HBSPYDA » Mon May 15, 2023 7:56 pm

Firstly, I would like to know what streets in Morphettville have been flagged for demolition. Are there any plans that are available for viewing? To date, I have not officially been notified of this, other than rumor. I have been in my home for 24 years and have proudly maintained it with renovations, landscaping and beautiful street appeal. Having 25% ownership with SA Housing Trust, I have invested a lot in my home. If my property is marked for demolition, you will see me on Current Affair and Today Tonight. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my property as with a lot of others in my street. Some properties would simply benefit from a makeover rather than a bulldoze, saving thousands of dollars to increase number of dwellings.
On another note, there are a lot of properties under Junction and SA Housing that look like no no-one lives there. The front gardens are not maintained, overgrown with weeds or littered with rubbish. These tenants are not going to all of a sudden become keen gardeners or take pride in their place whether the property is 20 years old or brand new. Perhaps we need to look at how these properties are going to be maintained and take this into consideration when allocating homes and determining rent.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#19 Post by claybro » Tue May 16, 2023 11:40 am

HBSPYDA wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 7:56 pm
Firstly, I would like to know what streets in Morphettville have been flagged for demolition. Are there any plans that are available for viewing? To date, I have not officially been notified of this, other than rumor. I have been in my home for 24 years and have proudly maintained it with renovations, landscaping and beautiful street appeal. Having 25% ownership with SA Housing Trust, I have invested a lot in my home. If my property is marked for demolition, you will see me on Current Affair and Today Tonight. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my property as with a lot of others in my street. Some properties would simply benefit from a makeover rather than a bulldoze, saving thousands of dollars to increase number of dwellings.
On another note, there are a lot of properties under Junction and SA Housing that look like no no-one lives there. The front gardens are not maintained, overgrown with weeds or littered with rubbish. These tenants are not going to all of a sudden become keen gardeners or take pride in their place whether the property is 20 years old or brand new. Perhaps we need to look at how these properties are going to be maintained and take this into consideration when allocating homes and determining rent.
Its sad for the long term residents like yourself with pride in their homes that get disguarded. Unfortunately, groups like Junction Housing- dump marginal groups in state housing- without any oversight, or requirement to maintain their properties. I feel for you. Just bulldozing the lot, and creating eve higher density is an easy out for the government.. the 700 odd thousand immigrants coming into Australia in the next two years all need somewhere to live. the concept is ok, but will be poorly executed, and the residents will be poorly policed/ supported. The local council- with all that extra greenspace to maintain-instead of it being in peoples front gardens-will not even try to keep up. Welcome to the UN 15 minute city plan folks.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue May 16, 2023 1:19 pm

claybro wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 11:40 am
HBSPYDA wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 7:56 pm
Its sad for the long term residents like yourself with pride in their homes that get disguarded. Unfortunately, groups like Junction Housing- dump marginal groups in state housing- without any oversight, or requirement to maintain their properties. I feel for you. Just bulldozing the lot, and creating eve higher density is an easy out for the government.. the 700 odd thousand immigrants coming into Australia in the next two years all need somewhere to live. the concept is ok, but will be poorly executed, and the residents will be poorly policed/ supported. The local council- with all that extra greenspace to maintain-instead of it being in peoples front gardens-will not even try to keep up. Welcome to the UN 15 minute city plan folks.
The “UN 15 minute city plan” it’s comical how a fairly beige long standing urban planning concept of pedestrian friendly cities has turned into some utterly braindead conspiracy theory.

claybro

#21 Post by claybro » Tue May 16, 2023 6:47 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 1:19 pm
[quote=claybro post_id=210799 time=<a href="tel:1684203053">1684203053</a> user_id=5463]
[quote=HBSPYDA post_id=210786 time=<a href="tel:1684146381">1684146381</a> user_id=9607]
[/quote]

The “UN 15 minute city plan” it’s comical how a fairly beige long standing urban planning concept of pedestrian friendly cities has turned into some utterly braindead conspiracy theory.
[/quote]

Given that 15 minute cities are a widely publicised program internationally, it’s hardly a “ conspiracy theory’ . And given we are about to receive 700000 new citizens Australia wide, it’s obviously well underway. I have no problems with appropriate density. It’s shoddy cheap develooements, in middle suburbia, that cram somewhat disadvantaged people together that I have issues with.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue May 16, 2023 7:42 pm

It isn't some "UN" conspiracy though, is it? It's a long-held urban planning concept. There's also certainly a conspiracy theory now attached to it since it became more broadly known: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-27/ ... /102015446

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#23 Post by SRW » Tue May 16, 2023 7:56 pm

claybro wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:47 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 1:19 pm
claybro wrote: Its sad for the long term residents like yourself with pride in their homes that get disguarded. Unfortunately, groups like Junction Housing- dump marginal groups in state housing- without any oversight, or requirement to maintain their properties. I feel for you. Just bulldozing the lot, and creating eve higher density is an easy out for the government.. the 700 odd thousand immigrants coming into Australia in the next two years all need somewhere to live. the concept is ok, but will be poorly executed, and the residents will be poorly policed/ supported. The local council- with all that extra greenspace to maintain-instead of it being in peoples front gardens-will not even try to keep up. Welcome to the UN 15 minute city plan folks.
Given that 15 minute cities are a widely publicised program internationally, it’s hardly a “ conspiracy theory’ . And given we are about to receive 700000 new citizens Australia wide, it’s obviously well underway. I have no problems with appropriate density. It’s shoddy cheap develooements, in middle suburbia, that cram somewhat disadvantaged people together that I have issues with.
Connect the dots for me here. What on earth do any of your grievances have to do with some supposed 'UN 15 minute city plan'?

The people who spout this 'conspiracy' possess a lot less good sense than you generally show. And funnily enough, Adelaide has long been (erroneously) glorified as a 20-minute city by many of the same.
Keep Adelaide Weird

[Shuz]

#24 Post by [Shuz] » Tue May 16, 2023 9:54 pm

Claybro, if you're going to engage in ridiculous conspiracy theories, I suggest you take your comments elsewhere and peddle them on other web forums. But they are not welcome here.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

claybro

#25 Post by claybro » Tue May 16, 2023 10:50 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:54 pm
Claybro, if you're going to engage in ridiculous conspiracy theories, I suggest you take your comments elsewhere and peddle them on other web forums. But they are not welcome here.
15 minute cities are not a conspiracy theory. Just Google it. It is being spoken about and rolled out by town planners and local councils worldwide. It is not me peddling a conspiracy theory.. but I’m puzzled why some here are so triggered by the mere mention of it. Why is it not relevant in a discussion of demolishing 250 dwellings, and tripling that number? Does anyone here honestly think this development will turn out well given its location and the lack of maintenance that SA local councils are renowned for?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by SRW » Wed May 17, 2023 8:47 am

claybro wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:50 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
15 minute cities are not a conspiracy theory. Just Google it. It is being spoken about and rolled out by town planners and local councils worldwide. It is not me peddling a conspiracy theory.. but I’m puzzled why some here are so triggered by the mere mention of it. Why is it not relevant in a discussion of demolishing 250 dwellings, and tripling that number? Does anyone here honestly think this development will turn out well given its location and the lack of maintenance that SA local councils are renowned for?
It looks conspiracist because you're throwing out a reactionary catchphrase without actually demonstrating how it relates to your grievances.

In other words, the conspiracy is not that the 15 minute city planning concept exists but rather that it relates to anything you're talking about.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nort

#27 Post by Nort » Wed May 17, 2023 8:58 am

SRW wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:47 am
claybro wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
It looks conspiracist because you're throwing out a reactionary catchphrase without actually demonstrating how it relates to your grievances.

In other words, the conspiracy is not that the 15 minute city planning concept exists but rather that it relates to anything you're talking about.
THIS.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Will » Wed May 17, 2023 10:26 am

claybro wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
Sounds like you may not be familiar with the conspiracy theory surrounding the 15 minute cities. The concept itself is logical urban planning, whereupon cities are made pedestrian friendly and accessible. More recently, the anti-vaxx/right wing extremist crowd has embellished this urban planning principle with their delusional belief system. They believe the 15 minute cities is part of the New World Order/One World Government headed by the underground paedophile/satanic/reptile people to control humanity. Essentially you will be forced to live within 15 minutes of your house. Travel outside the 15 minute perimeter will be monitored by extensive surveillance systems and possibly the microchips inserted into your body via covid vaccines or the fluoride in the water or possibly through the chemtrails. You will not be allowed to travel or drive outside your allocated perimeter. It has something to do with control and making you eat insects.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#29 Post by rev » Wed May 17, 2023 9:48 pm

claybro wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
Most probably haven't noticed the trend towards smaller and smaller allotments yet even though it's been happening for over 20 years in Adelaide.

The footprint of suburban blocks should be preserved, not diminished to make way for smaller and smaller blocks to cram more people in.
High density development should happen only in appropriate areas that are well served by adequate public transport options. The majority of Adelaide can not be described that way though, and it never will be.

South Australia can't even maintain it's road network let alone build an adequate public transport system.

Algernon

#30 Post by Algernon » Fri May 19, 2023 12:08 am

Will wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 10:26 am
claybro wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
Sounds like you may not be familiar with the conspiracy theory surrounding the 15 minute cities. The concept itself is logical urban planning, whereupon cities are made pedestrian friendly and accessible. More recently, the anti-vaxx/right wing extremist crowd has embellished this urban planning principle with their delusional belief system. They believe the 15 minute cities is part of the New World Order/One World Government headed by the underground paedophile/satanic/reptile people to control humanity. Essentially you will be forced to live within 15 minutes of your house. Travel outside the 15 minute perimeter will be monitored by extensive surveillance systems and possibly the microchips inserted into your body via covid vaccines or the fluoride in the water or possibly through the chemtrails. You will not be allowed to travel or drive outside your allocated perimeter. It has something to do with control and making you eat insects.
Criticism of 15-minute cities as a principle has been around a long time and claybro's grievance appears organised along the traditional lines. Usually it comes down to 2 issues: economics (gentrification and potential to push economic groups to the fringes or out of cities) and 2: the whole list of arguments mirrored by anti post modernist groups from the 90s onwards.

It was hijacked very recently to become a fully fledged conspiracy theory which 1) doesn't really resemble any of the urban planning princple based arguments and 2) entertains all of the bat-shittery that you have listed here. I'd also add 5G, Bill Gates and George Soros. It is a product of social media, a place where stupid ideas are formed in basements and diseminated at industrial scale.