News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4621 Post by Ho Really » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:04 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:53 pm
EBG wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:14 pm
if you really want to see something rare check out this Adelaide rail map from 1974 .it still shows the line through Woodville north to North Arm Rd . Although this was a freight route, it did have a limited peak hour service operated by single carriage red hens.
Am I reading it correctly that you couldn't catch a train directly from Adelaide to Outer Harbor, rather you would need to go via Dry Creek and Gillman?
I remember catching trains in the mid sixties Adelaide to Outer Harbor and vice versa. There was always a direct route. So no you didn't need to go through Dry Creek and Gillman.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#4622 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:58 am

Haso wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:51 pm

I found this by chance – State Transport Authority, Rail Map, 1980. It’s interesting to see how it was 40 years ago.

http://www.railmaps.com.au/historic_rai ... e_1980.htm

Let me show you two more from that era! (RIP your scroll-wheel :mrgreen: )

https://www.transitmap.net/adelaide-1978/

https://www.transitmap.net/adelaide-rail-1985/

In the 1978 map, there are three more railway lines that were removed by the time of your 1980 map: Semaphore, Hendon and Finsbury.

In the 1985 map, the trains have numbers, such as 54, which was the train that went from Outer Harbor to GMH Elizabeth. It looks like this was the only route that used the Port Adelaide-Dry Creek railway line. Did the numbers appear on the trains, like how buses have signs at the top?

It's so good that the complicated fare structure was removed! I'd hate to work in those ticket offices back then.
Spotto wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:29 pm
On the topic of a restored Port Adelaide to Dry Creek service. If/when the Northern Connector rail component (green line) is built the Dry Creek to Port Adelaide line will effectively be made redundant (unless access is maintained for the Bluescope Steel sidings). I'd like to see one of two uses for the line:

1) The line is handed to DPTI and converted to BG for a diesel service between Glanville (has a bay platform) and Mawson Lakes (better/convenient integration with train and bus, Dry Creek is too isolated). Stopping Glanville, Ethelton, Port Adelaide, Rosewater (Eric Sutton Reserve) or Grand Junction Road, Eastern Parade, Dry Creek, Mawson Lakes.

2) The line is handed to the Railway Museum and converted to BG (state funding assist) for heritage rides between Jacketts Siding and Dry Creek. A connection between heritage and metro trains would be invaluable to make it easy for people to come for a visit and a ride. Its proximity to the city and suburbs is also an advantage. Dry Creek Platform 1 helps keep it isolated from the metro network.

Creek NC.png
With 1) you would have a level crossing at Grand Junction Road and that will generate complaints. It would be less disruptive than the Port Rd crossing for the Grange line, but people don't like change.

What would be really good is to re-lay the Semaphore and Northfield lines. Then there could be a diesel service between Semaphore and Northfield via the Port Adelaide-Dry Creek railway line.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#4623 Post by NTRabbit » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:39 pm

Joelmark wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:51 pm
Many of the stations had ticket offices / kiosks incorporated into their concrete central shelters. From the Gawler line in the mid 1980s I can remember Broadmeadows, Womma, Elizabeth and Elizabeth South all had these.
In about 1987-88, the STA embarked upon a "station improvement programme" which saw many of the shelters replaced with the larger olive green bus stop style ones you see at Nurlutta for example. Some like Salisbury had their historic ones demolished and replaced with the current interchange type ones. Others like Womma simply had the staffed ticket office either demolished or sealed off, with the original 1960s style concrete structure remnant.
My former "local" Smithfield once had a beautiful building similar to the one at North Adelaide that was replaced around 1987 - surprisingly late in terms of heritage consciousness. I'm sure others on here can recount similar stories from other lines.
Clarence Park is another old station that still has an original but sealed off ticket office structure in the middle of the platform, as is Woodlands Park. Oaklands, Marion, and Ascot Park had theirs replaced with the orange bus shelters, which was Oaklands short lived 'middle-era', at the same time about 15 or so years back now.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#4624 Post by TorrensSA » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:07 am

Where was South Brighton Station? - It's on the 1974 map and was demolished when the new Brighton Station was built in 1976. Brighton Station was moved 200m south. Seacliff station is only 1km from Brighton, maybe 1.5km max before the rebuilds in 1976. South Brighton would have been very close to Seacliff ad Brighton stations.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#4625 Post by TorrensSA » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:07 am

Where was South Brighton Station? - It's on the 1974 map and was demolished when the new Brighton Station was built in 1976. Brighton Station was moved 200m south. Seacliff station is only 1km from Brighton, maybe 1.5km max before the rebuilds in 1976. South Brighton would have been very close to Seacliff ad Brighton stations.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#4626 Post by TorrensSA » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:15 am

I found this image http://sar.4mg.com/brighton/sth_brighton.JPG My best guess is the station was just south of Shoreham Road.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#4627 Post by OlympusAnt » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:20 pm

TorrensSA wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:07 am
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#4628 Post by NTRabbit » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:31 pm

TorrensSA wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:15 am
I found this image http://sar.4mg.com/brighton/sth_brighton.JPG My best guess is the station was just south of Shoreham Road.
Looks like just north of Shoreham Rd to me, the image on that site is looking south, which would make it as far away from old Brighton station and Seacliff as Marino and Marino Rocks are from each other.

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#4629 Post by Alyx » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:06 pm

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#4630 Post by Bob » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:03 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:58 am
Haso wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:51 pm

I found this by chance – State Transport Authority, Rail Map, 1980. It’s interesting to see how it was 40 years ago.

http://www.railmaps.com.au/historic_rai ... e_1980.htm

Let me show you two more from that era! (RIP your scroll-wheel :mrgreen: )

https://www.transitmap.net/adelaide-1978/

https://www.transitmap.net/adelaide-rail-1985/

In the 1978 map, there are three more railway lines that were removed by the time of your 1980 map: Semaphore, Hendon and Finsbury.

In the 1985 map, the trains have numbers, such as 54, which was the train that went from Outer Harbor to GMH Elizabeth. It looks like this was the only route that used the Port Adelaide-Dry Creek railway line. Did the numbers appear on the trains, like how buses have signs at the top?

It's so good that the complicated fare structure was removed! I'd hate to work in those ticket offices back then.
Spotto wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:29 pm
On the topic of a restored Port Adelaide to Dry Creek service. If/when the Northern Connector rail component (green line) is built the Dry Creek to Port Adelaide line will effectively be made redundant (unless access is maintained for the Bluescope Steel sidings). I'd like to see one of two uses for the line:

1) The line is handed to DPTI and converted to BG for a diesel service between Glanville (has a bay platform) and Mawson Lakes (better/convenient integration with train and bus, Dry Creek is too isolated). Stopping Glanville, Ethelton, Port Adelaide, Rosewater (Eric Sutton Reserve) or Grand Junction Road, Eastern Parade, Dry Creek, Mawson Lakes.

2) The line is handed to the Railway Museum and converted to BG (state funding assist) for heritage rides between Jacketts Siding and Dry Creek. A connection between heritage and metro trains would be invaluable to make it easy for people to come for a visit and a ride. Its proximity to the city and suburbs is also an advantage. Dry Creek Platform 1 helps keep it isolated from the metro network.

Creek NC.png
With 1) you would have a level crossing at Grand Junction Road and that will generate complaints. It would be less disruptive than the Port Rd crossing for the Grange line, but people don't like change.

What would be really good is to re-lay the Semaphore and Northfield lines. Then there could be a diesel service between Semaphore and Northfield via the Port Adelaide-Dry Creek railway line.
I’m going from memory of fifty years ago (late 60s and early 70’s), but the line from Salisbury to Virginia on this map of 1978 was for fare calculating purposes only, there was never a suburban train on that line. Any passenger wanting to use that section had to catch the Port Pirie train, which was all country stops including Salisbury and Virginia, plus any of the ‘halts’ listed on the map above in between those two stations. This was possible because all rail in SA be it suburban, country or interstate was operated by the S.A.R at the time however that was about to change when the suburban network got separated soon after and become STA and country lines went under AN. Within a few years the remaining country services were gone.

From memory there were two trains a day in each direction from Port Pirie to Adelaide, an all stops train and an express. The all stops left ARS I think at around 6PM with a scheduled time to Salisbury of either 20 or 25 minutes, the express left around lunch time, I think it was 1230PM. City workers would crowd the Port Pire 6PM service by standing in aisles and alight at Salisbury in considerable numbers.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4631 Post by Eurostar » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 am

I imagine a full adelaide yard closure will need to be done later this year to put the wires up

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4632 Post by Spotto » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:15 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 am
I imagine a full adelaide yard closure will need to be done later this year to put the wires up
Will they need to close the whole yard or can they get away with leaving the Seaford and Belair lines open? Is Adelaide Yard powered separately from the railway lines?

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#4633 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:10 pm

First week of Jan seems like a good time
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4634 Post by Eurostar » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:12 pm

Spotto wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:15 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 am
Will they need to close the whole yard or can they get away with leaving the Seaford and Belair lines open? Is Adelaide Yard powered separately from the railway lines?
By yard i mean tracks that access platforms 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9, also the sidings. I hope the track infrastructure is done better this time, the 4000s sway a fair bit along the Seaford/Clovelly line especially between Mile End and Goodwood, i have not experienced swaying to same extent on Melbourne and Sydney trains

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#4635 Post by Haso » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:48 am

Islington Railway Station. Two photos this morning (1/8/2020).

Toward the city

Toward Kilburn Railway Station

Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.