News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4756 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:37 pm

Adelaide Metro finally come clean on the full Gawler line closure being extended to April 2021

https://adelaidemetro.com.au/Announceme ... e-closures

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#4757 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:04 am

I have some photos to share with you guys but have no idea how to upload them to this site. Its some photos of masts being done looking south from Mawson Lakes, even some work in the city with the rail yard having work done.

Can someone help me? :D

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4758 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:20 am

When you reply to a post, you will see a section below the text box with the label Attachments. Click that and then click add file. That should upload your image.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210104-111811_Chrome.jpg
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

PeFe

#4759 Post by PeFe » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:54 am

Or you can upload all your photos to free hosting site like Imgur.

Each photo will be assigned an individual upload code (it actually says "code for forums" etc) and copy and paste that code into the Sensational Adelaide reply.

In Imgur at the the bottom of the page you can choose the thumbnail size ie medium, large etc....this changes the size of the photos on the destination page ie Sensational Adelaide.

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#4760 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:11 pm

PeFe wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:54 am
Or you can upload all your photos to free hosting site like Imgur.

Each photo will be assigned an individual upload code (it actually says "code for forums" etc) and copy and paste that code into the Sensational Adelaide reply.

In Imgur at the the bottom of the page you can choose the thumbnail size ie medium, large etc....this changes the size of the photos on the destination page ie Sensational Adelaide.
Thanks for that.

Here are some photos are got of Adelaide and Mawson Lakes.
Attachments
20201217_191805.jpg
20201217_155716.jpg
20201219_091451_resized.jpg

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#4761 Post by PD2/20 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:23 pm

Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:11 pm

Thanks for that.

Thanks for the photos which show recent progress in the electrification work. When exactly were the photos taken? The second photo shows insulator assemblies for a section switch which were installed during the weekend closure on 12/13 December. Were the overhead fixtures in the first photo on the underside of the Morphett St bridge installed at the same time. Roof anchorages for the overhead had been installed at Platforms 5-9 from September onwards.

The final photo at Mawson Lakes is already a historic view. It shows both recently installed overhead masts S of Mawson Interchange but also the now removed bridge section over Dry Creek. On 15th Dec a large crane was on site and sandbags were in place to divert the creek flow to the multichannel culvert between the bridge and the station platform. On Boxing Day work started to remove the track and bridge structure including the concrete piers and foundation slab from the creek bed. Hard core was then laid and yesterday a new foundation slab was being poured. The summer months are the best time of year to be doing this work as the creek flow is pretty minimal unlike in the winter months.

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#4762 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:39 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:23 pm
Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:11 pm

Thanks for that.

Thanks for the photos which show recent progress in the electrification work. When exactly were the photos taken? The second photo shows insulator assemblies for a section switch which were installed during the weekend closure on 12/13 December. Were the overhead fixtures in the first photo on the underside of the Morphett St bridge installed at the same time. Roof anchorages for the overhead had been installed at Platforms 5-9 from September onwards.

The final photo at Mawson Lakes is already a historic view. It shows both recently installed overhead masts S of Mawson Interchange but also the now removed bridge section over Dry Creek. On 15th Dec a large crane was on site and sandbags were in place to divert the creek flow to the multichannel culvert between the bridge and the station platform. On Boxing Day work started to remove the track and bridge structure including the concrete piers and foundation slab from the creek bed. Hard core was then laid and yesterday a new foundation slab was being poured. The summer months are the best time of year to be doing this work as the creek flow is pretty minimal unlike in the winter months.
I took these photos on the 17th December. I was trying to figure out how to upload them hence why they are this late. But shows how much work they have done in December.

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#4763 Post by RetroGamer87 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:58 am

Here is a recent photo of the replacement bridge under construction at Mawson Lakes InterchangeImage

ChillyPhilly

#4764 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:56 pm

Article about the ARS refresh. Entrances getting an overhaul.

https://renewalsa.sa.gov.au/news/a-new- ... ain-goers/
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4765 Post by Spotto » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:11 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:56 pm
Article about the ARS refresh. Entrances getting an overhaul.

https://renewalsa.sa.gov.au/news/a-new- ... ain-goers/
Love the idea of the new doors! It’s always the little details and embellishments like this that give heritage restorations that little extra something.

Glad that this whole project is giving ARS some much deserved love. Hopefully once the heritage restoration is done the dark and dim platforms will get a makeover too to complete the station.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4766 Post by Spotto » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:45 pm

I've got a question and I can't seem to see it being asked on the forum before so here I am.

Footy Park was opened at West Lakes in 1974. The Hendon branch line was still running, albeit infrequently for factory workers, up until 1980 at which point it was demolished and West Lakes Boulevard (WLB) extended from Tapleys Hill Road along the corridor to just south of Albert Park station.

My question is, why was the Hendon branch line never extended to meet Footy Park? Between Tapleys Hill Road and Frederick Road there's a wide nature strip on the south side of WLB that could've taken a single track line, and east of Frederick Road (where the housing development now is) the land immediately south of WLB was clear enough to continue the tracks and maybe add a passing loop and then pass the bus interchange (rotated to sit north-south beside the eastern entrance instead of parallel to the road). They could've possibly continued past the northside of the stadium (pink or orange) to serve the shopping centre and run as a regular service instead of event days only.
westlakes.png

[Shuz]

#4767 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:17 pm

Name a single public transport project that got delivered in the 1970s anywhere in the world.

Car was king then.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SBD

#4768 Post by SBD » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:09 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:17 pm
Name a single public transport project that got delivered in the 1970s anywhere in the world.

Car was king then.
The O-Bahn was delivered in the 1980s so doesn't quite meet your question, but planning started in the 1970s.

Several London Underground lines were extended or opened in the 1970s too.

The idea of extending the Hendon line and running the new 2000-class railcars on it is an interesting thought that could have been a selling point for West Lakes.

PeFe

#4769 Post by PeFe » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:59 pm

Spotto wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:45 pm
I've got a question and I can't seem to see it being asked on the forum before so here I am.

Footy Park was opened at West Lakes in 1974. The Hendon branch line was still running, albeit infrequently for factory workers, up until 1980 at which point it was demolished and West Lakes Boulevard (WLB) extended from Tapleys Hill Road along the corridor to just south of Albert Park station.

My question is, why was the Hendon branch line never extended to meet Footy Park? Between Tapleys Hill Road and Frederick Road there's a wide nature strip on the south side of WLB that could've taken a single track line, and east of Frederick Road (where the housing development now is) the land immediately south of WLB was clear enough to continue the tracks and maybe add a passing loop and then pass the bus interchange (rotated to sit north-south beside the eastern entrance instead of parallel to the road). They could've possibly continued past the northside of the stadium (pink or orange) to serve the shopping centre and run as a regular service instead of event days only.

westlakes.png
This question has been asked and answered at least 5 times in the last 10 years so here we go again......

West Lakes Boulevard was built in the 1970's with the intention of running a train line (heavy rail) right down the centre of the road to West Lakes.

The shopping centre owners told the state government that they didn't want or need that public transport filth near their shopping centre....

West Lakes was conceived and marketed as an upmarket suburb, having good public transport to nearby suburbs was definitely not on the agenda.....these suburbs were much more working class/housing trust back then.

The concept of transit orientated development did not exist then.......the 70's was all about cars, cars, and more cars.

Even Football Park was conceived as a sport stadium where everyone would be able to drive their car there (express buses only came later. I am pretty sure the first couple of years only has regular scheduled buses leaving from Football Park on game days)

I remember leaving Football Park in 1976 in a mate's car and we had trouble getting out of the car park because of the dust being spewed into the air by the thousands of cars trying to leave at the same time driving through the dirt car parks.......this went on for 20 minutes......what a shithole it was....

ChillyPhilly

#4770 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:47 am

It does make sense but the Hendon line went in a different direction.

Urban planning failed hardcore in most places in the world in the 60s and 70s.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.