News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#5086 Post by Joelmark » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:42 am

On a side note, looking carefully through the budget papers $10 million has been allocated in the next two financial years to “retrofit energy storage and recovery systems to diesel rail cars to reduce fuel consumption and improve performance” ( p58 of the Budget Measures Statement). That would mean I guess making the 3000 class as “green” as possible, probably to see them through to their end life not long after 2030. The first 3000 cars were introduced in 1987, so 43 odd years wouldn’t be a bad run.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#5087 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:37 pm

Joelmark wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:42 am
On a side note, looking carefully through the budget papers $10 million has been allocated in the next two financial years to “retrofit energy storage and recovery systems to diesel rail cars to reduce fuel consumption and improve performance” ( p58 of the Budget Measures Statement). That would mean I guess making the 3000 class as “green” as possible, probably to see them through to their end life not long after 2030. The first 3000 cars were introduced in 1987, so 43 odd years wouldn’t be a bad run.
The railcars are diesel-electric, so does that mean they are fitting batteries to them? Does anyone have more information on this?

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5088 Post by claybro » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:36 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:37 pm
Joelmark wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:42 am
The railcars are diesel-electric, so does that mean they are fitting batteries to them? Does anyone have more information on this?
This confused me as well. I understood the 3000 series were always diesel electric which by definition means they already have energy storage and recovery systems..This sounds more like required upgrade maintenance to old systems to keep these old bangers going, making it sound like a green program while they keep ignoring electrification of the remaining lines.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5089 Post by Spotto » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:58 pm

Not sure if these have been posted but somebody in the marketing department knows their stuff. Clean and simple posters that tells you what you need to know, and more detailed timetables for Seaford and Belair are also around if needed. Plus a good use of the new mode symbols.

Only criticism would be not using the new standard font. Otherwise these are leagues above what Adelaide usually receives.
2C71106D-BB4D-4C76-B749-A39C53A9D9BF.jpeg
B83FC1C1-21EF-44F7-8204-C3879E41FECB.jpeg
CD059879-9FBF-4FD4-9B99-0F4880D863C4.jpeg

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#5090 Post by PD2/20 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:06 pm

Spotto wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:58 pm
Not sure if these have been posted but somebody in the marketing department knows their stuff. Clean and simple posters that tells you what you need to know, and more detailed timetables for Seaford and Belair are also around if needed. Plus a good use of the new mode symbols.

Only criticism would be not using the new standard font. Otherwise these are leagues above what Adelaide usually receives.

2C71106D-BB4D-4C76-B749-A39C53A9D9BF.jpegB83FC1C1-21EF-44F7-8204-C3879E41FECB.jpeg
CD059879-9FBF-4FD4-9B99-0F4880D863C4.jpeg
However the Belair line notice does not tally with the information currently on the website at https://adelaidemetro.com.au/Announceme ... e-closures. The website indicates trains will be running between Goodwood and Belair with buses between Mitcham and the City. Connections will be possible to the Seaford trains running from Showgrounds.
Section of rail line: The Belair line will be closed between Adelaide Railway Station and Goodwood Station.

When:

Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 July 2021
Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 July 2021
Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 July 2021

Passenger services: Trains will be operating between Belair and Goodwood Station, with substitute buses operating between Mitcham Station and Adelaide Railway Station. Substitute buses will service the substitute bus stops for Unley Park, Millswood, Goodwood and Adelaide Showgrounds. Passengers traveling from Goodwood to the City can access the Seaford line service.
Unlike the April closures when only Brighton - Seaford was running, the forthcoming will see Showgrounds - Seaford and Goodwood - Belair trains running over the weekends.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#5091 Post by PD2/20 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:48 pm

claybro wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:36 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:

This confused me as well. I understood the 3000 series were always diesel electric which by definition means they already have energy storage and recovery systems..This sounds more like required upgrade maintenance to old systems to keep these old bangers going, making it sound like a green program while they keep ignoring electrification of the remaining lines.
Historically diesel electric railcars and locomotives had generators and DC motors. Once power semicoductors became available aleternators and AC motors were used. In neither case was storage used for traction current. Batteries were only used for auxiliary supplies such as engine starting, control equipment and lighting. The 3000s are in this category with AC equipment. Modern battery developments have made possible hybrid electric automotives and light rail in recent years but traction batteries have not been widely adopted yet for heavy rail. The main benefit of energy recovery would be for frequently stopping services although such services are prime candidates for electrification.

SBD

#5092 Post by SBD » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:32 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:48 pm
claybro wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:36 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:

Historically diesel electric railcars and locomotives had generators and DC motors. Once power semicoductors became available aleternators and AC motors were used. In neither case was storage used for traction current. Batteries were only used for auxiliary supplies such as engine starting, control equipment and lighting. The 3000s are in this category with AC equipment. Modern battery developments have made possible hybrid electric automotives and light rail in recent years but traction batteries have not been widely adopted yet for heavy rail. The main benefit of energy recovery would be for frequently stopping services although such services are prime candidates for electrification.
Downhill from Belair should be able to recover significant energy. Is that energy that currently dissipates as heat and worn brakepads? If the recovery efficiency can be reasonably high, that could become an argument for electrifying the standard gauge between Adelaide and Monarto. It could become an electric asynchronous equivalent to a funicular with two tracks connected by a cable so that the full car descending hauls the empty one up. Descending trains could provide the electricity to lift another train to MT Lofty, without having to carry their own batteries.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#5093 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:23 am

Remember when we had the idea for this sign to be restored with neon and lit up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

claybro

#5094 Post by claybro » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:23 am

Thanks Andy! I just love how the station has turned out. Well done to all involved! :applause:

Llessur2002

#5095 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:22 pm

Woo hoo :banana:

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5096 Post by Spotto » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:37 pm

Was at Showground station yesterday on Platforms 2 & 3 waiting to head into town when a lady came down the stairs onto the platform; both the inbound Belair and Seaford trains were both due on Platforms 2 & 3 at the same time so both screens said "Adelaide, next train in 5 minutes". She took a while looking between both screens slightly confused so I asked her where she was going and she said "Blackwood, but I don't know what platform, both screens say Adelaide." She doesn't take the trains often, so I explained that the Belair line platforms go both directions and told her what she needed to know.

This is about the third time recently I've helped some poor soul who's been confused by our poorly-designed departure screens. If the section with departures after the next train wasn't in small print, shoved into the bottom corner and not clearly labeled people might actually be able to find their train easier. Melbourne and Sydney both have well-designed departure screen layouts that are easy to follow, taking some inspiration from those would be a good starting point.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#5097 Post by Eurostar » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:41 am

Spotto wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:37 pm
Was at Showground station yesterday on Platforms 2 & 3 waiting to head into town when a lady came down the stairs onto the platform; both the inbound Belair and Seaford trains were both due on Platforms 2 & 3 at the same time so both screens said "Adelaide, next train in 5 minutes". She took a while looking between both screens slightly confused so I asked her where she was going and she said "Blackwood, but I don't know what platform, both screens say Adelaide." She doesn't take the trains often, so I explained that the Belair line platforms go both directions and told her what she needed to know.

This is about the third time recently I've helped some poor soul who's been confused by our poorly-designed departure screens. If the section with departures after the next train wasn't in small print, shoved into the bottom corner and not clearly labeled people might actually be able to find their train easier. Melbourne and Sydney both have well-designed departure screen layouts that are easy to follow, taking some inspiration from those would be a good starting point.
5 minutes before the train arrives there should be audio announcements

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5098 Post by Spotto » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:38 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:41 am
Spotto wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:37 pm

5 minutes before the train arrives there should be audio announcements
She was waiting for the next-next train so she would’ve been left not knowing for longer than that.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5099 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:42 pm

This is definitely a case where a station departures screen, not just platform departures screens would be useful. A good pickup, maybe someone should send some feedback to Adelaide Metro/DIT.

SBD

#5100 Post by SBD » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:20 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:42 pm
This is definitely a case where a station departures screen, not just platform departures screens would be useful. A good pickup, maybe someone should send some feedback to Adelaide Metro/DIT.
I suspect that this is one of very few stations on the Adelaide network that has trains going to destinations in both directions from one platform, and has trains on another platform. That probably means it needs a different destination board solution than almost every other station. Maybe the single-track non-terminus sign just needs a bit of a layout change to make it show the "other" direction a bit larger and more obvious.