News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4921 Post by adelaide transport » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:31 pm

It was made last week by Corey Wingard-Transport and Infrastructure Minister.
Also by CEO of DTI/SAPTA Tony Braxton-Smith at a Parliamentary hearing.(he referred to Structural Steel which was calling in the Liquidators.)

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#4922 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:24 am

If there's any extension to the full line closure, Adelaide Metro will wait until the absolute last minute to announce it.

They did that with the full line closure being extended from January to April, despite the media reporting on it for the weeks leading up to it.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#4923 Post by PD2/20 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:00 pm

Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:24 pm

Where abouts on Churchill Road N is the site. I was driving over Port Wakefield road today (22nd March) and they were stringing into the Dry Creek rail depot, atleast to that point. That was at 10am this morning. Don't know where that ended but I can assume we now have wires between dry creek and halfway to Mawson lakes. They have put the hanging structures up between Mawson I/C and Greenfields now so not long.

I cannot wait for the 26th April to come around. Then the line will be open to Mawson Lakes and everybody on this forum I believe will be on the train wanting to take photos and etc. Am I right?? 😎

Could you possibly share the aerial photographs you have? If it is where I think it is outside cormack road level crossing that area is fenced off, 25kmh speed limit applies and trucks everywhere
The electrification yard on Churchhill Rd Nth I referred to is where the old Northfield branch crossed the road although it is now difficult to spot the alignment of the branch. The yard is on the west side of the road immediately N of the Fulton Hogan depot (corner of Dean Harvey Dr). The concrete masts have been visible in Google Earth historic imagery since 2012 at lat/long -34.832367°,138.592228°. The yard is also used for storage of mast fittings and concrete sleepers. There is a further yard to the north before Bradford Way that is used for storage and laying out of trackwork.

The stringing at the weekend under Pt Wakefield is a half section (~600m) that extends S on the main line to the N gate of the railcar depot. There will be two sections from there down to behind Veolia S of Cormack.

The yard NE of Cormack Rd LX that you noticed was being used for temporary storage of masts and construction machinery. A yard on the N side of Henschke St has also been used for mast strorage, as has the south yard at Islington Works.

As to reopening on 26th April, it looks as if the overhead work to Mawson I/C will be substantially complete. The critical work looks to be track maintenance N Adelaide - Islington (LX closures this weekend), continuing pedestrian crossing work at Ovingham and Islington and signalling cabling and installation from N Adelaide to Greenfields.

The SA Structural administration does not seem to have unduly affected the mast erection as only a handful of masts remain to be erected between Torrens Bri and Salisbury all at locations where the foundations have recently been poured. Indeed steel masts N of Salisbury in the vicinity of the siding are now being erected.

A series of notices relating to cabling or construction work at Smithfield, Tambelin, Gawler and the King St bridge have just appeared on the project website.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#4924 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:35 pm

I've noticed that graffiti on trains has been quite prevalent of late, with tags remaining on rail cars for quite a few days before being removed. In the past graffiti has been removed quite quickly.

Is security and graffiti removal now the responsibility of Keolis Downer? If so, they seem to have dropped the ball a tad.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#4925 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:49 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:00 pm
Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:24 pm

Where abouts on Churchill Road N is the site. I was driving over Port Wakefield road today (22nd March) and they were stringing into the Dry Creek rail depot, atleast to that point. That was at 10am this morning. Don't know where that ended but I can assume we now have wires between dry creek and halfway to Mawson lakes. They have put the hanging structures up between Mawson I/C and Greenfields now so not long.

I cannot wait for the 26th April to come around. Then the line will be open to Mawson Lakes and everybody on this forum I believe will be on the train wanting to take photos and etc. Am I right?? 😎

Could you possibly share the aerial photographs you have? If it is where I think it is outside cormack road level crossing that area is fenced off, 25kmh speed limit applies and trucks everywhere
The electrification yard on Churchhill Rd Nth I referred to is where the old Northfield branch crossed the road although it is now difficult to spot the alignment of the branch. The yard is on the west side of the road immediately N of the Fulton Hogan depot (corner of Dean Harvey Dr). The concrete masts have been visible in Google Earth historic imagery since 2012 at lat/long -34.832367°,138.592228°. The yard is also used for storage of mast fittings and concrete sleepers. There is a further yard to the north before Bradford Way that is used for storage and laying out of trackwork.

The stringing at the weekend under Pt Wakefield is a half section (~600m) that extends S on the main line to the N gate of the railcar depot. There will be two sections from there down to behind Veolia S of Cormack.

The yard NE of Cormack Rd LX that you noticed was being used for temporary storage of masts and construction machinery. A yard on the N side of Henschke St has also been used for mast strorage, as has the south yard at Islington Works.

As to reopening on 26th April, it looks as if the overhead work to Mawson I/C will be substantially complete. The critical work looks to be track maintenance N Adelaide - Islington (LX closures this weekend), continuing pedestrian crossing work at Ovingham and Islington and signalling cabling and installation from N Adelaide to Greenfields.

The SA Structural administration does not seem to have unduly affected the mast erection as only a handful of masts remain to be erected between Torrens Bri and Salisbury all at locations where the foundations have recently been poured. Indeed steel masts N of Salisbury in the vicinity of the siding are now being erected.

A series of notices relating to cabling or construction work at Smithfield, Tambelin, Gawler and the King St bridge have just appeared on the project website.
Ah yes now I can see on google maps. Thanks for the coordinates. :). You mentioned they filled in the gaps at elizabeth south and south of womma station. Theres enough concrete masts there to do the entire Stage 2 section between Salisbury and Gawler Central. That image on google maps shows atleast a couple of hundred of the concrete masts in multiple locations. It would be a waste if they didnt use those.

With the amount of closures they require out at Smithfield, Tambelin, Gawler and Salisbury car parks, wont surprise me that they are filling in the portal structures at tambelin that have been there since 2012, and perhaps the footings along the smithfield -> broadmeadows run, filled in gaps at tambelin -> kudla as well as putting footings down and modifying the stations at Salisbury and Smithfield and maybe Gawler for the portal or twin track structures.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#4926 Post by PD2/20 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:57 pm

Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:49 pm
Ah yes now I can see on google maps. Thanks for the coordinates. :). You mentioned they filled in the gaps at elizabeth south and south of womma station. Theres enough concrete masts there to do the entire Stage 2 section between Salisbury and Gawler Central. That image on google maps shows atleast a couple of hundred of the concrete masts in multiple locations. It would be a waste if they didnt use those.

With the amount of closures they require out at Smithfield, Tambelin, Gawler and Salisbury car parks, wont surprise me that they are filling in the portal structures at tambelin that have been there since 2012, and perhaps the footings along the smithfield -> broadmeadows run, filled in gaps at tambelin -> kudla as well as putting footings down and modifying the stations at Salisbury and Smithfield and maybe Gawler for the portal or twin track structures.
The closures at Smithfield and Gawler car parks are just a matter of weeks and are for service trench works. However the closures at Gawler Central and Tambelin are until the end of the project. The King St bridge work would explain the Gawler Central closure. I suspect that at Tambelin they would establish a work compound in the car park which would have easy access for hi-rail vehicles to the track at the level crossing.

In the last couple of days, tension weights and stays have been installed at the end of the Dry Ck Nth Yard - Mawson I/C and Mawson I/C - Parafield Gdns overhead sections suggesting that stringing of these sections is imminent. Steel mast footings are visible beyond Salisbury Siding to Commercial Rd.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4927 Post by Spotto » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:24 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:57 pm
The King St bridge work would explain the Gawler Central closure.
When is the bridge scheduled to be demolished?

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#4928 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:35 pm

It would seem that your right that overhead stringing could occur soon. I believe that they have already started the Parafield gdns -> Greenfields stretch already or starting at segment atleast, this was today (25th March).

2 twin track cantilevers aren't even properly setup at Mawson Lakes. There is a new twin track setup but without hanging structures south-west of the platform, and a twin track structure isn't even in place north of the platforms as well.

I was told that the elizabeth turnback track is being modified and connected to the main line finally after it was dumped in 2012. Apparently the track has been lifted when you go over the winterslow Rd bridge and look to the north and is being connected. So the elizabeth line is looking like a reality at this point.

There are now portal legs in the torrens Junction area which is a sign that between Adelaide and nth Adelaide is getting somewhere.

I also have a theory. Don't know if this is going to be true or not or whether I have mentioned this before.

If and when they open the line up to Mawson lakes, what's the possibility it is going to be an electric train running and not the diesel fleet? And then when the line opens to Salisbury, will electrics run then? It's only a theory but hypothetically if they are stringing upto and including Mawson lakes by April 25th and between Mawson lakes and Salisbury not having overhead wire complete yet but getting somewhere.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4929 Post by Spotto » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 am

Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:35 pm
I was told that the elizabeth turnback track is being modified and connected to the main line finally after it was dumped in 2012. Apparently the track has been lifted when you go over the winterslow Rd bridge and look to the north and is being connected. So the elizabeth line is looking like a reality at this point.
So in an ironic twist, Adelaide could be opening its own Elizabeth Line long before London’s (after years of delays) ever does. :lol: :lol:

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4930 Post by PeFe » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:10 am

So what does an "Elizabeth" line mean?

An all stops train to the 'Beth?

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#4931 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:11 pm

PeFe wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:10 am
So what does an "Elizabeth" line mean?

An all stops train to the 'Beth?
It could be similar to the glanville line.

Stop all stops to the city then from the city express to Elizabeth. Go through the turnback track and then repeat. It would operate both peak periods I believe. But whether KD are up for something like this is completely different.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4932 Post by Eurostar » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:07 am

Maybe the service that starts from Salisbury will start from Elizabeth instead and the afternoon service that terminates at Salisbury will be extended to Elizabeth. On Adelaide Oval event days like AFL games and Cricket matches there will be services that run between Elizabeth and Adelaide before the events and services that run between Adelaide and Elizabeth.

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#4933 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:14 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:07 am
Maybe the service that starts from Salisbury will start from Elizabeth instead and the afternoon service that terminates at Salisbury will be extended to Elizabeth. On Adelaide Oval event days like AFL games and Cricket matches there will be services that run between Elizabeth and Adelaide before the events and services that run between Adelaide and Elizabeth.
Or maybe services to the city will stop at Elizabeth where they meet another service that goes to Salisbury, Mawson Lakes, and then to the city. Or this stop will only be used during closures for an incident, or closures like Brighton, or maybe there might be AFL services that go from Adelaide to Elizabeth stopping limited stops Theres an infinite amount of possibilities.

I will wonder if the Gawler Line timetable will change to suit electric stock or if its going to be the same one thats been running for quite some time now.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4934 Post by SBD » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:10 pm

Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:14 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:07 am
Or maybe services to the city will stop at Elizabeth where they meet another service that goes to Salisbury, Mawson Lakes, and then to the city. Or this stop will only be used during closures for an incident, or closures like Brighton, or maybe there might be AFL services that go from Adelaide to Elizabeth stopping limited stops Theres an infinite amount of possibilities.

I will wonder if the Gawler Line timetable will change to suit electric stock or if its going to be the same one thats been running for quite some time now.
I expect that there will be new/special timetables for the two intermediate partial openings. They will provide some real-world experience to the timing and passenger loads of the southern parts of the route before the full track opens.

I think the second stage is supposed to only extend to Salisbury. I wonder if the work at Elizabeth might be to be able to extend that far after the mid-year school holidays, instead of only to Salisbury?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#4935 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:48 pm

The full closure of the Gawler line's now been extended to November

https://adelaidemetro.com.au/Announceme ... e-closures

Wonder what Wingard's excuse is?