News & Discussion: Station Upgrades

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#16 Post by crawf » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:46 am

Yeah but back then, cars wernt as popular as they are now

South Australia's Railway System is a utter joke

I really hope the State Government spends at least $1.5b on fixing up Adelaides Suburban Network very soon. I'm so sick to death of using the 'third world' system.

While the bus and tram system is pretty good.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by Pistol » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:47 am

Great post Skyliner.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by skyliner » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:16 pm

With reference to the progreesive closing down of Adelaide's railway system (see earlier posts in this thread), I forgot to mention the extinction of the Semaphore line.

Yes, cars are much more significant now, and yes, they would have had an effect on Adelaide's railway system, but when I look at Perth and Brisbane, I note that their systems are still expanding (in the same culture as ours). I read in the current 'Civil Engineer' magazine that the Perth system is not only electrified, but is now getting tunnels as well. Perth is subject to the same sprawl, same car density, same culture and same basic metropolitan design, but the railways WORK.

I gather from ABS figures that Perth's population is 1,385,000 against Adelaide's 1,140,000 - not much different on scales that big. They made the effort. That is all Adelaide needs. Turn the dying remains into a living active system - It can be done!!!

In my opinion start with scrapping Keswick!. It's out in the never never - not central to anything.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by JAKJ » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:36 pm

skyliner wrote:With reference to the progreesive closing down of Adelaide's railway system (see earlier posts in this thread), I forgot to mention the extinction of the Semaphore line.

Yes, cars are much more significant now, and yes, they would have had an effect on Adelaide's railway system, but when I look at Perth and Brisbane, I note that their systems are still expanding (in the same culture as ours). I read in the current 'Civil Engineer' magazine that the Perth system is not only electrified, but is now getting tunnels as well. Perth is subject to the same sprawl, same car density, same culture and same basic metropolitan design, but the railways WORK.

I gather from ABS figures that Perth's population is 1,385,000 against Adelaide's 1,140,000 - not much different on scales that big. They made the effort. That is all Adelaide needs. Turn the dying remains into a living active system - It can be done!!!

In my opinion start with scrapping Keswick!. It's out in the never never - not central to anything.
Yes, but I think people are failing to realise that Adelaide's rail/tram network in the first half of the 20th century was the best in Australia by a long margin, and that Perth's and Brisbane's were poor in comparisson. Even today it is still arguable that Adelaide's rail coverage is better than Perth's, which for all the current hype, is really quite poor. Thanks god the corridors are still mostly there and the tracks still recoverable, it would not take a huge investment (comparatively if you are looking at other oz's major cities) to get Adelaide rail system back on track (no pun intended ;) )

Will409
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by Will409 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:01 am

This is what I think should happen to the system here.

-Upgrade the Gawler Central and Noarlunga lines to gauge convertable sleepers end to end. Since these lines see more traffic and also the highest rate of wear, they need to have something done first. Bring the track upto the standard we have on the Outer Harbour line.

-Fast track the conversion of the Belair line to concrete. Once completed, the line can revert to double track with a marked increase in punctuality. I am greatful that they have managed to preserve all platforms (with the exception of Eden Hills) on the standard gauge side so the infrastructure is already in place. Both of the above projects shoudl also include concrete sleepers on all points such as those at Woodville. They are just about the only points on the entire system without a TSR imposed on them!

-Replace all the crappy little stations on the system like Islington and Broadmeadows. Parafield railway station looks set to be rebuilt this year so it may be worth looking at using the style around other parts of the system so we may have a standardised station building. Most stations on the North Shore line in Sydney are of the same building design.

-A viability study on extending the suburban service along the ARTC line out of Salisbury to better serve the new Bucklands Park developement once gauge conversion is complete which will see the use of concrete sleepers on the Tonsely and Grange lines also.

-A HUGE lighting upgrade at the very least of Adelaide Railway station.

-More generous use of staffed stations.

-New rollingstock and once the system has been given concrete sleepers on the entire system, electrification.

skyliner

#21 Post by skyliner » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:10 pm

A small note re the comparison of Adelaide, Brisbane and Sydney sstems in the early 20th century. Sydney was electrifierd by 1920 and had a huge system. Brisbane had a system comparable to Adelaide's then. (Adelaide was also biigger than Brisbane then).

Adelaide locomotive power was the biggest in Australia (Take the 500b
4-8-4's for example). This was bacause commissioner Webb came from the USA with their type of thinking and scales of operation. All Australian systems had been operating on the British model which is much smaller in design specifications and design. - that is why our system rated so highly then.

As I have already said, our (excuse me, being a Brisbane resident but an Adelaidean by heart) system rates very poorly currentl compared to examples set in other places. We can make the necessary improvement to revitalise the suburban railways. It'll take a WEBBIAN type decision in gov't.

And to get back to the point - Keswick does not impress me - what a welcome to Adelaide.

Someone said, an all over canopy of the British terminal style would greatly help. I agree.

Ho Really

#22 Post by Ho Really » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:03 pm

skyliner wrote:...Someone said, an all over canopy of the British terminal style would greatly help. I agree.
That was me skyliner. :)

I don't think Keswick is doomed. It is the area surrounding it and the lack of good transport to and from there which is the problem. As I said, if the place was revitalised it would make a huge difference. Like most here I would prefer interstate trains to start and finish their journeys at Adelaide Station, but what would happen if interstate rail patronage and suburban usage picked up? Would it cope?

Cheers

skyliner

#23 Post by skyliner » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:05 pm

Just had a look at Keswick on whereis.com.au (very similar to google) I have to agree with Ho Really - it will not be doomed. And, as HoReally intimated, the whole place looks like it was dumped in the middle of masses of railway yards both sides. Coming down that ramp to the station gives the same impression.

You wonder where the urban planners and Great Southern Railway have got their heads with Keswick. I have not heard onr good report about the place - it pales into insignificance compared to the new airport and bus station.

The railways have had such a bad time in Adelaide.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by shuza » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:42 am

I think Kewswick terminal is just in the wrong spot. It hides behind the cemetery and has poor links to nearby roads.

If anything, a new interstate rail station should be moved up north just a bit, to the rear of Santos Stadium, where theres good access to Bakewell Road, Bradman Drive and the CityWest. This way its closer to the central portion of the CBD, has immediate access to the Airport and Bus Station facilities, and for a connector bus (something similar to the skybus in melbourne) that just interconnects the 3 transport facilities. The open view of the parklands from this location would be a much better view for patrons arriving too.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#25 Post by crawf » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:49 pm

That would be a waste of money, i would rather see it moved back to North Terrace.

skyliner

#26 Post by skyliner » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:05 pm

Back again - this whole thing has touched a nerve!

I am a general supporter of centralisation when it comes decentralisation causing such a bad reputation/result such as that at Keswick.

The same principle applies for the CBD - So many big suburban shopping centres causes the CBD to seem dead. (although it is changimg). This problem happened to Mount Gambier, Maryborough in Vic. and Ipswich near Brisbane. All had fantastic thriving CBD's which are now full of empty shops. Likewise, Keswick took much life out of Adelaide station - which now appears cavernous with not near enough lighting to boot - BUT.. in a fantastic old building - classic piece of architecture!

Shifting Keswick will solve nothing. It addresses nothing of the above general concept. Thus, Like Crawf, I believe it would be a waste of money.

Adelaide is quickly improving it's face to the outside world with the airport and trams - now needs a railway system to match - starting with Keswick!

End of rant!

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by shuza » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:52 am

Who here would support an extension of the Adelaide railway station to cater for an interstate terminal where the railyards are on north terrace, rather than a half-billion dollar stadium?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by AtD » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:08 am

Considering Adelaide only sees three interstate services, it'd be more of a waste than the stadium. But I'm all for it if they'll reinstate regional services with it.

skyliner

#29 Post by skyliner » Wed May 30, 2007 9:43 pm

the only places remotely likely to ever get regional services would be Mount Gambier and Murray Bridge.

Murray Bridge appears to be possibly taking over the Monarto idea from the 1970's. That place was planned for 150 000 and actually started off until funds fell over. Murray Bridge I see has estimates going over 30 000 and beyond.

The Murray Bridge population, WITH mount Gambier (now 24000 and possibly reaching 30 000 in the not so distant future) may be enough to open that regional passenger service. Mount Gambier depends on Protavia Pulp Mill re - establishing the SE rail system (a high likelihood at this stage). Protavia wants to link up to Adelaide.

The passenger service is all conjecture at best It would be heavily dependent on local political pressure and would not of itself instigate a closure of Keswck - unfortunately! It is a far cry from a day AND a night train EACH day to Adelaide and VV to MG. The night train was often 12 coaches long. (Used to see this from my Kitchen window). All a very sad eventuality now.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Keswick Terminal Upgrade

#30 Post by SRW » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:14 pm

What impact will the impending RAH replacement over the railyards have for any potential return of interstate/regional rail services to Adelaide Station? If any?
Keep Adelaide Weird