PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re:

#46 Post by SRW » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:46 am

AG wrote:I always thought it would be a good idea to seperate the Gawler line and the Noarlunga/Tonsley groups into seperate lines with stations split between the lines. For example, the Gawler line would be split into two separate lines, one local and one express line. The local line would simply serve all stations between the city and Salisbury. The express line would run all the way to Gawler, but serving only Mawson Lakes between the city and Salisbury to serve as an interchange station between the local and express line.

For the Noarlunga/Tonsley group it would be a bit more complex. The local line would run all stations between the city and Tonsley, while the Noarlunga line would not serve stations between Woodlands Park and the city (except Goodwood). On the Noarlunga line, this would make Woodlands Park an interchange station for the Tonsley line towards Tonsley and towards Clarence Park, and Goodwood an interchange station for the Belair line.

This could well be applied to the Grange and Outer Harbor lines as well, where the Outer Harbor line would not serve stations between Woodville and Adelaide (not inclusive). Woodville would become an interchange station for the Grange line towards Grange and towards Bowden, and this would allow the Grange line to operate more frequently and Outer Harbor services quicker.

In all 3 cases, more tracks would be required, so some investment would be needed.
In the entire debate so far, this would have to the simplest yet most beneficial suggestion. This is how many of the European systems work (well, I can attest for Stockholm and ÃŽle-de-France at least) with great efficiency. The proper implementation of intermodal interchanges is the best strategy for the Adelaide Metro (read: entire system).
Keep Adelaide Weird

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

Re: #Proposal - $260m Tram Line Extension to Port

#47 Post by Bulldozer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:12 pm

Definitely a good idea. I don't know about lines other than Noarlunga, but there does seem to be too many stops on that line. You could eliminate a few by demolishing some of the closer-spaced ones and building a new station somewhere between the middle of them. Improved bus services, bicycle lockers and car parking facilities would go almost certainly appease those upset, whilst the reduced transit times would attract more people in the outer regions to use the trains. But then you could possibly do away with the need to do that to reduce travel times by upgrading to new electric trains with much faster acceleration and braking.

It's good to see that the Noarlunga line will be re-sleepered with good, long-lasting concrete sleepers as the condition of that line in places is frightening. I shit you not, a couple of years ago I was waiting at Oaklands and watched the line in front of the train literally lift out of the mud it was resting in by a couple of inches at the train pulled up to stop! You can tell the bad parts of the line because they're where the trains slow down. Re-sleeping will also do wonders for ride comfort - it can be a bit disconcerting to see how much the carriagies jolt about when climbing to/descending from Hallett Cove!

Buildit
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#48 Post by Buildit » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:21 pm

I have been driving down Port Rd everyday for the past week to a project I am working on. I noticed that they had drilling rigs in the centre median strip of Port Rd and that they were drilling bore logs. This could hint that there is a degree of interest on behalf of the government, or it could be totally irrelative to the potential of trams.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#49 Post by SRW » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:44 pm

Bulldozer wrote:it can be a bit disconcerting to see how much the carriagies jolt about when climbing to/descending from Hallett Cove!
Aye. The sway of the train coming around from Hallett Cove to Marino can unsettle even the well-travelled among us on a bad day.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

#50 Post by Adamo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:11 pm

This used to be the tram lines back in the 1950's :P interesting isn't it?

This extension will benefit those in the north area, also commuters to AAMI stadium causing much less traffic during the crows and port games, along with further growth and development in the north.

There has been a lot of postive feedback and I feel strong that the government will go ahead with this project.
http://twitter.com//tarcobello
http://mrpianoman.com
'we've had some times i wouldn't trade for the world..'
Rise Against

Mants
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by Mants » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:13 pm

such a great network...im sure if it never got ripped out, it would have been expanded by now aswell.

btw Adamo i like your sig. rise against- great band :mrgreen: im seeing them in october!!

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#52 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:43 pm

Melbourne are known to have a very good infrastructure on of the best probably in Australia for its size.... and they kept their trams....if only we had done the same!!!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#53 Post by Cruise » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:44 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Melbourne are known to have a very good infrastructure on of the best probably in Australia for its size.... and they kept their trams....if only we had done the same!!!
If only we kept the trams,
if only the MATS freeway plan was actually built,
if only the state bank didnt turn into such a disaster,
if only football park was built closer to the CBD,
if only we didnt focus so much on urban sprawl in the 50's and 60's.........

Do you want me go further?

What im trying to say is you cant change the past, all we can do is help shape the future.

Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

#54 Post by Adamo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:30 pm

Cruise Control wrote:
jimmy_2486 wrote:Melbourne are known to have a very good infrastructure on of the best probably in Australia for its size.... and they kept their trams....if only we had done the same!!!
If only we kept the trams,
if only the MATS freeway plan was actually built,
if only the state bank didnt turn into such a disaster,
if only football park was built closer to the CBD,
if only we didnt focus so much on urban sprawl in the 50's and 60's.........

Do you want me go further?

What im trying to say is you cant change the past, all we can do is help shape the future.
yeah i totally agree, and at least we are taking action now rather then later
http://twitter.com//tarcobello
http://mrpianoman.com
'we've had some times i wouldn't trade for the world..'
Rise Against

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:42 pm

Yeh better late than never as they say...

Just the extra costs weve spent ripping out and putting back in was what I was implying

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#56 Post by Cruise » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:52 pm

im not having a go at you inparticular jimmy just making a statement, a lot of people around seem to live in the past here in Adelaide.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#57 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:08 pm

Cruise Control wrote:im not having a go at you inparticular jimmy just making a statement, a lot of people around seem to live in the past here in Adelaide.
Yeah I mean we should still try and remodel this design, obviously it might need changes but will make inner city/suburban traveling a more enjoyable experience.

I took my little brother to waville today for his exams, cos he didn't know where to go.....its only a 5km drive but at 8:30am goodwood rd traffic.....forget it....i got there at a few mins past 9....was a nightmare. I was actually getting excited when I was traveling 30km an hour!!!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#58 Post by AtD » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:23 pm

Heh, I take the tram to exams at Wayville, it's a bit of a walk but there's less traffic. :D

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#59 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:26 pm

AtD wrote:Heh, I take the tram to exams at Wayville, it's a bit of a walk but there's less traffic. :D
Yeah I usually take train aswell and it takes 5 min.....but my brother didnt know where to go so i dropped him off...grrrr lol

And the worst thing about goodwood rd is that u cant rat run down side streets cos they are all dead ends cos of the train lines that run around the roads n that.

Will409
Legendary Member!

The 'new' King William Street and North Terrace

#60 Post by Will409 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:34 pm

This is an extra to the regular photo update of the extension from today. With the Plane Trees starting to grow back after winter and the new median strip in King William Street virtually complete, I thought it would be a good to post some shots of the extension. Other then the platforms and shelters, the line is virtually complete and is already operational. Despite all the cries against the catenary masts in the centre of the road, they do sit in very well with the Plane Trees when they have the leaves back.

A well worn view of the extension from Morphett Street Bridge.

Looking up the extension from City West stop.

North Terrace.

King William Street looking south and north.

This must surely rank as one of the most picturesque tramways in Australia when the season is right.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.