PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #U/C: Port Adelaide Tram Line

#1111 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:24 pm

From Thursday:

Pole with fittings near James Congdon Drv

Construction near George St

Shared poles between George Street and Phillips Street

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#1112 Post by fkj » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:08 pm

why couldnt they have used those poles on the glenelg line, i like them.
but one thing, is it just me, or are those poles significantly higher than other ones

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#1113 Post by Tonsley213 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:21 pm

Street lights will go on them

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#1114 Post by fabricator » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:30 pm

fkj wrote:why couldnt they have used those poles on the glenelg line, i like them.
but one thing, is it just me, or are those poles significantly higher than other ones
Those are light poles, which double as tram poles or vs versa
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#1115 Post by Shuz » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:11 pm

Sorry, I forgot to upload my photos of the new Citadis trams. Better late than never. :P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shuz789/se ... 148626411/

Xaragmata

#1116 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:38 pm

North Tce / Port Rd, yesterday:

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#1117 Post by ChrisRT » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Looking good but I worry about pedestrian flows resulting from the new hospital. Have designs for the hospital been finalised yet? Could be some serious safety issues with large volumes of people getting off at the hospital stop.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1118 Post by jk1237 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:37 pm

ChrisRT wrote:Looking good but I worry about pedestrian flows resulting from the new hospital. Have designs for the hospital been finalised yet? Could be some serious safety issues with large volumes of people getting off at the hospital stop.
I highly doubt the pedestrian flows would be higher than Rundle Mall, Pirie St and Vic Sq. Im still perplexed by why they dont stick some 'way out' or 'exit' arrow stickers on the shelters. You still see many people get off the tram at Rundle Mall, look around in a daze wondering which way to go and then walk the wrong way (north), causing more dazed sheep to follow them the wrong way

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1119 Post by AtD » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:41 pm

I think most human beings are capable of crossing two lanes of one-way traffic safely. I am quite perplexed as to why the powers that be feel there's a need to hire a rent-a-cop to yell at people crossing anywhere but at the lights at the Rundle Mall stop.

[include obligatory nanny state reference]

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#1120 Post by fabricator » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:06 pm

AtD wrote:I think most human beings are capable of crossing two lanes of one-way traffic safely. I am quite perplexed as to why the powers that be feel there's a need to hire a rent-a-cop to yell at people crossing anywhere but at the lights at the Rundle Mall stop.

[include obligatory nanny state reference]
Its to stop the crossing in front of the tram itself, and being run down, mostly.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#1121 Post by ChrisRT » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:43 am

jk1237 wrote:
ChrisRT wrote:Looking good but I worry about pedestrian flows resulting from the new hospital. Have designs for the hospital been finalised yet? Could be some serious safety issues with large volumes of people getting off at the hospital stop.
I highly doubt the pedestrian flows would be higher than Rundle Mall, Pirie St and Vic Sq. Im still perplexed by why they dont stick some 'way out' or 'exit' arrow stickers on the shelters. You still see many people get off the tram at Rundle Mall, look around in a daze wondering which way to go and then walk the wrong way (north), causing more dazed sheep to follow them the wrong way
I think Rundle mall is different though because it is in between a sequence of traffic lights that are closely spaced. Also, drivers know that it is a busy area with significant pedestrian volumes so they adjust their driving accordingly.

At the North Tce/West Tce intersection on the other hand, traffic will be coming in off Port road at speeds possibly in excess of 60km/hr and not expecting many pedestrians to be in the area. This could be a recipe for disaster.

I think the traffic engineers will have to try and do something to get drivers to slow down before they approach the new stop. Does anyone know if the speed limit is going to be reduced to 50km/hr on the section of Port Road that cuts through the parklands?

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#1122 Post by dsriggs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:18 pm

ChrisRT wrote:I think Rundle mall is different though because it is in between a sequence of traffic lights that are closely spaced. Also, drivers know that it is a busy area with significant pedestrian volumes so they adjust their driving accordingly.

At the North Tce/West Tce intersection on the other hand, traffic will be coming in off Port road at speeds possibly in excess of 60km/hr and not expecting many pedestrians to be in the area. This could be a recipe for disaster.

I think the traffic engineers will have to try and do something to get drivers to slow down before they approach the new stop. Does anyone know if the speed limit is going to be reduced to 50km/hr on the section of Port Road that cuts through the parklands?
I'm pretty sure that the pedestrian crossing will be linked with the North & West Terrace intersection's lights. It seems like the right position for it.

Xaragmata

#1123 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:52 pm

Edited for Tonsley213
Last edited by Xaragmata on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#1124 Post by ChrisRT » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:48 pm

Pretty ugly looking viaduct. Guess it gets the job done though. Imagine the uproar if something like that was proposed for a swanky neighborhood.

PeFe

#1125 Post by PeFe » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:56 pm

Any word on what the renovated station will look like? Personally I would have preferred to see the rail line buried beneath Commercial Rd and the above ground areas turned into a massive transit orientated development (now this would have breathed new life into the Port centre!) I hope the new station will at least encourage the locals and workers to use new upgraded train line.
I hope the new station is ICONIC....a building that says 'Welcome to the new Port Adelaide".....a building that says "new trains, safe train station, a transport system that Adelaide can be proud of."