COM: Seaford Rail Extension | $291m | 5.5km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #UC: Noarlunga - Seaford rail extension

#211 Post by rhino » Tue May 10, 2011 11:04 am

The government should make you minister for everything. I have never met anyone with so much knowledge on every subject they ever get involved in.

:secret: at least that's what he thinks
cheers,
Rhino

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#212 Post by mattblack » Tue May 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Aidan wrote:
The lack of direct roads to Seaford Meadows means it will take longer to get to than the surrounding suburbs
Dont actually know what your talking about here? Lack of main roads? The suburb lies between South Rd and Commercial Rd - my way of thinking is that these are the two main roads that lead south, any more direct and you'll be building a freeway to the place.
With a good rail service that would not matter, but the station they're going to construct is only on the edge of the development.
Going by this rational Mawson Lakes is prime to become a ghetto in the near future :hilarious:

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#213 Post by iTouch » Tue May 10, 2011 10:31 pm

No, the point is that's what I don't want to see!

Aidan you're a mirror image of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#214 Post by mattblack » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:05 am

Lots of work and cranes around the river crossing. Looks like some of the supporting colums are starting to go in as well as piling continuing. Also works around the station. Taking shape quite quickly.

rubberman

Noarlunga - Seaford rail extension

#215 Post by rubberman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:12 pm

I don't always agree with Aidan, but some of the comments here seem to be targeting the bloke rather than the issues.

When people do that, it normally means they have no answer to the points raised.

Last time I looked, being interested and having an opinion about lots of stuff is not a crime.

:2cents:

Aidan

#216 Post by Aidan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:26 pm

rubberman wrote:I don't always agree with Aidan, but some of the comments here seem to be targeting the bloke rather than the issues.

When people do that, it normally means they have no answer to the points raised.
True, but it's pretty tame compared to Usenet.

mattblack wrote:
Aidan wrote: The lack of direct roads to Seaford Meadows means it will take longer to get to than the surrounding suburbs
Dont actually know what your talking about here? Lack of main roads? The suburb lies between South Rd and Commercial Rd - my way of thinking is that these are the two main roads that lead south, any more direct and you'll be building a freeway to the place.
The point is you can't go north without doubling back. If you want to go north, you first have to go south to get to South Road. The alternative route first requires you to head west to get to Commercial Road, then east to get to Dyson Road.
With a good rail service that would not matter, but the station they're going to construct is only on the edge of the development.
Going by this rational Mawson Lakes is prime to become a ghetto in the near future :hilarious:
Firstly Mawson Lakes station is not actually on the edge of the development. Secondly it has a much better and more direct road system that doesn't require so much doubling back. And thirdly having a university ensures it would never be a ghetto however bad the access is.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#217 Post by Norman » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:19 am

Community Information Sessions
The Seaford Rail Extension team will be holding a series of community information sessions in the near future, see below for details:

Venue: Colonnades Shopping Centre (adjacent Diners Life), Beach Road, Noarlunga Centre
Date/Time: Tuesday 26 July 2011 from 10am to 2pm

Venue: Seaford Shopping Centre (opposite Woolworths), Commercial Road, Seaford
Date/Time: Thursday 28 July 2011 from 3pm to 8pm

Venue: McLaren Vale Shopping Centre (opposite Coles), 130 Main Road, McLaren Vale
Date/Time: Saturday 30 July 2011 from 10am to 2pm

The sessions are a fantastic opportunity to speak to members of the project team, ask questions relating to construction and obtain further project information.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#218 Post by mattblack » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Bunch of new publications and images from DTEI

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/sea ... blications

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#219 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:48 pm

Bridge a feat of precision

SOUTH Australia will soon celebrate an engineering triumph in the new bridge straddling the banks of the Onkaparinga River.

The $291.2 million Seaford Rail Extension will span the river with the world's third-largest incrementally-built bridge.

Every concrete metre of the 1.2km bridge will be cast on the banks of the Onkaparinga River valley and each of the 26m-long segments - each weighing 600 tonnes - will then be pushed out across the pylons from both sides until they meet in the middle.

The finished project, undertaken by the Thiess Macdow joint venture, must then be able to take the weight of a train as it crosses at up to 130km/h.

The challenge scared some companies away, Transport, Energy and Infrastructure Department project director David Bartlett said. "Some of those looking at bidding said it was too hard and it couldn't be done," he said.

more

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#220 Post by mattblack » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Not sure if this one has been posted yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... lz40ZIbp0E

metro
Legendary Member!

#221 Post by metro » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:04 pm

new video of the bridge construction:

[Shuz]

#222 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:07 am

I think I spent more time watching the river tide ebb and flow, moreso than I did watching the cosntruction works.
Cool video though. :)
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#223 Post by iTouch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:56 pm

the river is amazing. I often question why Adelaide wasn't built on that river instead of the Torrens

Aidan

#224 Post by Aidan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:58 pm

iTouch wrote:the river is amazing. I often question why Adelaide wasn't built on that river instead of the Torrens
What part?

The estuary is saline but not navigable, the gorge is too steep, and the transport infrastructure for a city up in the hills would be much more expensive.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#225 Post by iTouch » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Aidan wrote:
iTouch wrote:the river is amazing. I often question why Adelaide wasn't built on that river instead of the Torrens
What part?

The estuary is saline but not navigable, the gorge is too steep, and the transport infrastructure for a city up in the hills would be much more expensive.
Creating a dock on the estuary facing towards the river would avoid the waves, and if they deepened the rivermouth to ensure low tide wouldn't affect the boats could work... couldn't it?