News & Discussion: Cycling

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
bits
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling

#406 Post by bits » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:23 am

Simmos083 wrote:Why have stupid bike lanes which drive everyone crazy, we need better roads for cars, trains and trams. Money can spent a lot better investing in this, roads are for cars not Tour De France wannabes
Why not better roads for horse and carts?
Let's get these roads back to what they were built for right?!
Road widths are all wrong, the slip lanes are too short to get my cart into.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#407 Post by dbl96 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:30 pm

Simmos083 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:51 am
Why have stupid bike lanes which drive everyone crazy, we need better roads for cars, trains and trams. Money can spent a lot better investing in this, roads are for cars not Tour De France wannabes
Building better cycling infrastructure is actually a lot more cost effective than building infrastructure for cars trains and trams. A lot of the time all that is required to improve cycling infrastructure is to paint a few lines on the road. Cycling infrastructure can be a much more effective way of reducing congestion than more car lanes, because, as others have already pointed out, bikes take up far less space on the roads.

We should be doing everything we can to encourage people to ride bikes rather than drive cars. Such a change would be entirely positive. More people riding bikes and less people driving cars would mean people would be healthier, there would be less dangerous accidents, our air would be cleaner, our contribution to climate change would be less, and the amenity of the city would be improved by the reduced noise, pollution and improved safety. There are really no negatives to encouraging people to choose cycling over driving.

As people have already pointed out, roads are not "for cars". Roads are for moving people around the city. If using more road space for cycling results in us being able to move people around the city more effectively, then that is what we should do.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#408 Post by Nort » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:17 pm

dbl96 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:30 pm
Simmos083 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:51 am
Why have stupid bike lanes which drive everyone crazy, we need better roads for cars, trains and trams. Money can spent a lot better investing in this, roads are for cars not Tour De France wannabes
Building better cycling infrastructure is actually a lot more cost effective than building infrastructure for cars trains and trams. A lot of the time all that is required to improve cycling infrastructure is to paint a few lines on the road. Cycling infrastructure can be a much more effective way of reducing congestion than more car lanes, because, as others have already pointed out, bikes take up far less space on the roads.

We should be doing everything we can to encourage people to ride bikes rather than drive cars. Such a change would be entirely positive. More people riding bikes and less people driving cars would mean people would be healthier, there would be less dangerous accidents, our air would be cleaner, our contribution to climate change would be less, and the amenity of the city would be improved by the reduced noise, pollution and improved safety. There are really no negatives to encouraging people to choose cycling over driving.

As people have already pointed out, roads are not "for cars". Roads are for moving people around the city. If using more road space for cycling results in us being able to move people around the city more effectively, then that is what we should do.
Exactly.

My wife and I live within a few k's of town, and will often ride our bikes in (although I've mostly fallen out of the habit in the past year partially because parts of the ride feel precarious).

The alternative is often car, or taxi/uber. Those latter two add a heck of a lot more congestion on the road than a couple of push bikes.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#409 Post by Norman » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:48 pm

DIT have notified residents around Goodwood Station that there will be "Geotechnical investigations" over the next few days. Could this be a revival of the bike path over the Seaford and Belair lines?

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#410 Post by SouthAussie94 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:58 pm

Very vague proposal from Franz Knoll to use existing lane ways as an alternative to an east-west bikeway

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/adelaide/p ... 45764954=1
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

SBD

#411 Post by SBD » Wed May 12, 2021 11:36 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:58 pm
Very vague proposal from Franz Knoll to use existing lane ways as an alternative to an east-west bikeway

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/adelaide/p ... 45764954=1
"very vague" seems like an optimistic interpretation. What I thought he said in that sound bite was that they could link up under-used north-south laneways to the parklands to replace having to stop at five sets of lights on Frome Street, and that would make it easier to cycle east-west across the city.

What did I miss????? :wallbash:

Nathan

#412 Post by Nathan » Wed May 12, 2021 11:56 pm

The laneway idea comes from having ridden for a week or two, and never during peak times nor in any hurry to get anywhere. No-one wants to zig-zag across the city, waiting for breaks in traffic to cross main roads, on their commute to work.

Let's note too that Knoll saw no need for any bike infrastructure, and then after hopping on a bike, suddenly decides that we do. Funny that.

Nort

#413 Post by Nort » Thu May 13, 2021 10:41 am

Is their any detail on exactly what laneways he thinks are suitable for moving East/West through the city? I'm struggling to think of any.

SBD

#414 Post by SBD » Thu May 13, 2021 5:35 pm

Nort wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:41 am
Is their any detail on exactly what laneways he thinks are suitable for moving East/West through the city? I'm struggling to think of any.
I think his idea is that people would ride in the parklands then use the north-south laneways to reach their city destinations. He lost me with the idea that linking up the laneways would be better than Frome Street because that has five sets of traffic lights which each hold people up for between a minute and 1:50.

Nathan

#415 Post by Nathan » Fri May 14, 2021 9:58 am

Interesting article on CityMag following Cr Knoll's change of heart:
https://citymag.indaily.com.au/commerce ... ture-push/

It has a link to the report presented to council in March which showed 70% support of the bikeway (either as presented or with minor changes), as well as showing that with the exception of the section between Morphett St and West Tce, that the number of remaining car parks would still be above their current average utilisation rates.
https://dmzweb.cityofadelaide.com.au/ag ... rately.pdf

And if this passage doesn't say everything that's wrong with some councillors:
On Tuesday, Councillor Alexander Hyde said he supported the new motion from Knoll, but does not support the “mass destruction of on-street car parking”.

“I just wonder if [the plan] would give certain advocates within the administration the ability to remove cars on the road in preference for bikes,” he said.

“I know it’s not the intent of [Councillor Knoll, but] sometimes things get picked up by the administration and they want to go in one particular direction until they can be tackled back to the ground by the council chamber.”

Councillor Helen Donovan – a vocal proponent of the failed bikeway – supported the new plan but expressed hesitation about delivery.

“The problem I have with this of course is not the essence of the motion but that we’ve had so many motions and strategies prepared previously, and when it actually comes down to the tough decisions we have failed, and that is reasonably indicated by the millions of dollars given back to the State Government,” she said.

She also added the “advocates” within the administration Hyde referred to were in fact “transport planners” who have “tertiary qualifications in what they do and have many years of experience delivering these plans.”

Councillor Hyde shouted in retort: “they’re all cyclists”.

VLtom
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#416 Post by VLtom » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:43 pm

So the Turtur/goodwood station access is back on track

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#417 Post by baytram366 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:59 am

There should really be a tram stop up there with the stairs connecting the train station to the tram stop. I still don't understand why this wasn't done when they upgraded the Glenelg line before the flexity trams came in to service.
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#418 Post by mattwinter » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:17 pm

baytram366 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:59 am
There should really be a tram stop up there with the stairs connecting the train station to the tram stop. I still don't understand why this wasn't done when they upgraded the Glenelg line before the flexity trams came in to service.
I'm thinking
a. they'd need to put stairs on the south side of the bridge too for access to both sides of the tram lines
b. not sure if the slope would mean you could safetly do a platform and a place for the tram to stop so might need the whole bridge rebuilt

Given that it'd be a much more expensive project to do this and probably not justified to save a few people a short walk. It's a nice idea and I'd love to see it done but don't think it will meet the 'bang for buck' test

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#419 Post by Saltwater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:45 am

There's only a few people transferring between the tram and the trains and Goodwood because the integration is so bad. If there was a proper interchange I'm certain a lot more people would use it. I don't think it would be bad for the trams because a lot of people traveling from Glenelg would have faster journeys transferring to the train for the development around Adelaide Showground, and on the northern side of the CBD near the railway station. This would free up some capacity for residents of the inner south to catch trams to the CBD.

Why there was absolutely no integration between the light rail to the entertainment centre, and Outer Harbor rail lines is also a complete mystery to me.

[Shuz]

#420 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:46 pm

The light rail literally stops right outside the front of the entertainment centre and is barely 50 metres walk from Bowden...

How much more integration were you expecting!?

Fuck me, there's just no pleasing some people on here.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.