News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#931 Post by adelaide transport » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:06 pm

PeFe wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:38 pm
I just sent DPTI some feedback on the proposed changes to the Adelaide bus network.

First the positive stuff......loved the route numbering simplification.

Now what I perceive as poorly thought ideas....

I said that replacing 5 eastern suburb routes (140, 142, 143, 147 etc) with 2 new routes (10 and 20) was a fail in terms of coverage. They really need to go back to the drawing board on that one......the area needs 3 separate routes at least.

I also suggested a major change to the cross town 300/301 route. I proposed that the route stay the same from Marion all the way round back to the western suburbs but that it ends at Adelaide Airport. Shorter, easier to keep to timetable and "destinations" at either end.....not just a cross suburban bus going from "somewhere" to "somewhere".
And route 320 now becomes a fulltime connector travelling from Adelaide Airport to West beach and Glenelg, then Warradale Road to Marion.
No need for pm peak services from the city, the 320 is timetabled to meet the 1 bus at the airport allowing through journeys at a speedy pace.
And now Marion is connected to the airport....
Big mistake dropping 144/140/144G routes-meaning no City buses along Portrush Road between Glen Osmond Road and Greenhill Road. With a large Girls college, a large Primary school and a private hospital along this road-this is crazy. There has been a bus to the city along part or all of this road since trams ceased in 1952.
Lots of school children also used this service to get to schools and colleges along or near the route into the City.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#932 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:51 pm

The bus reforms aren't even popular among the Liberal Party

https://indaily.com.au/news/2020/06/17/ ... -bus-cuts/

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#933 Post by rubberman » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:35 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:51 pm

No matter what the issue is, if a government makes changes, there will always be some who will complain.

Carbon tax? Renewable energy? Tax reforms?

It doesn't matter what, someone will complain.

The question is whether the changes look feasible.

My guess is that Knoll is being clever here. He's knows that people will complain no matter what, so he's put a couple of stinkers in there that the complainers will focus on. He will then remove those "obvious mistakes", the complainers will go home satisfied, and he will get what he wants all along.

It might even be orchestrated from the Premier's Office. Knoll puts up plan with a few stinkers in it. Liberal MPs complain, Premier intervenes, plan has stinkers removed. Premier comes off looking like Action Man, MPs look like hard workers for the people, Knoll and the Party look "responsive to the concerns of the community". What's not to like?

And Indaily gets to do its usual "The Sky is Falling!!!" schtick.

mrumley02
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#934 Post by mrumley02 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:51 pm

rubberman wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:51 pm

No matter what the issue is, if a government makes changes, there will always be some who will complain.

Carbon tax? Renewable energy? Tax reforms?

It doesn't matter what, someone will complain.

The question is whether the changes look feasible.

My guess is that Knoll is being clever here. He's knows that people will complain no matter what, so he's put a couple of stinkers in there that the complainers will focus on. He will then remove those "obvious mistakes", the complainers will go home satisfied, and he will get what he wants all along.

It might even be orchestrated from the Premier's Office. Knoll puts up plan with a few stinkers in it. Liberal MPs complain, Premier intervenes, plan has stinkers removed. Premier comes off looking like Action Man, MPs look like hard workers for the people, Knoll and the Party look "responsive to the concerns of the community". What's not to like?

And Indaily gets to do its usual "The Sky is Falling!!!" schtick.
A very cynical but apt view of Australia’s Political Sphere on all levels.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#935 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:00 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:01 pm
adelaide transport wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:44 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:38 pm
:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: losing my 333 bus.
That only ran a handful of trips-at least you will have an OD service to compensate.
OD isn't compensation
The ON-DEMAND bus service is from Outer Harbor to Largs Bay only. I am at Glanville it is a bit hard to push a wheelchair up the ramp at the Port Adelaide train station or push over one of the bridges and it cost a bit when you need to go to the Port 3 or 4 times a week.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

SBD

#936 Post by SBD » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:21 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:00 pm
NTRabbit wrote:

That only ran a handful of trips-at least you will have an OD service to compensate.
OD isn't compensation
The ON-DEMAND bus service is from Outer Harbor to Largs Bay only. I am at Glanville it is a bit hard to push a wheelchair up the ramp at the Port Adelaide train station or push over one of the bridges and it cost a bit when you need to go to the Port 3 or 4 times a week.
Is it possible to use Adelaide buses with wheelchairs? I had assumed wheelchairs would need either trains or access cabs if the person cannot get out of the chair at all.

PeFe

#937 Post by PeFe » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:30 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
NTRabbit wrote:

OD isn't compensation
The new bus network still has a bus up Military Road to Port Adelaide. 314.

https://dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... 1055mm.pdf

Yes disability access at the Port Adelaide railway station is poor.....should really be lifts at that station (especially as this station could see an increase in patronage in the short term if the Port Adelaide renaissance continues)

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#938 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:25 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:21 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:
NTRabbit wrote:

OD isn't compensation
Is it possible to use Adelaide buses with wheelchairs? I had assumed wheelchairs would need either trains or access cabs if the person cannot get out of the chair at all.
A lot of the buses are accessible now.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#939 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:30 pm

PeFe wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:30 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:
NTRabbit wrote:

OD isn't compensation

Yes disability access at the Port Adelaide railway station is poor.....should really be lifts at that station (especially as this station could see an increase in patronage in the short term if the Port Adelaide renaissance continues)
The 314 bus is about 3 km from me.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#940 Post by Westside » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:05 pm

PeFe wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:38 pm
I also suggested a major change to the cross town 300/301 route. I proposed that the route stay the same from Marion all the way round back to the western suburbs but that it ends at Adelaide Airport. Shorter, easier to keep to timetable and "destinations" at either end.....not just a cross suburban bus going from "somewhere" to "somewhere".
And route 320 now becomes a fulltime connector travelling from Adelaide Airport to West beach and Glenelg, then Warradale Road to Marion.
No need for pm peak services from the city, the 320 is timetabled to meet the 1 bus at the airport allowing through journeys at a speedy pace.
And now Marion is connected to the airport....
I agree, I'm not a fan of the 300 either. I had a slightly idea that combined the connector routes into three routes with far more connection options (full post here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7149)

It would basically create 3 functional routes:
301: Suburban Connector – West Lakes to Glenelg via Arndale then 300 to Mitcham then 321 to Glenelg
302: Airport Connector - Port Adelaide to Harbour Town via 312 to Woodville Rd, then Findon/Rowells Rds to Airport, then 301 to Harbour Town
303: Coastal Connector – Port Adelaide to Mitcham Sq via 313 to Tapleys Hill Rd then Henley Beach Sth, West Beach then 301 to Mitcham

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#941 Post by Westside » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:16 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:30 pm
PeFe wrote:
I Follow PAFC wrote:

Could a simple solution be to adjust the 314 so that it travels from Sansom Rd to Swan Tce, Hart St, Ganville RS (to provide better connectivity to the train), Semaphore Rd to Military Rd then existing route to Port Adelaide?

ChillyPhilly

#942 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:19 pm

That Port Dock station was looking to be pretty accessible for people with mobility aids. But, it got the chop...
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#943 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:40 am

Westside wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:16 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:30 pm
PeFe wrote:

Could a simple solution be to adjust the 314 so that it travels from Sansom Rd to Swan Tce, Hart St, Ganville RS (to provide better connectivity to the train), Semaphore Rd to Military Rd then existing route to Port Adelaide?
Just make the bus go over the Jervois Bridge and go into Glanville RS and not the Birkenhead Bridge.

Don't the gov know that buses can't go over the Birkenhead Bridge till the roadway gets fix ?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#944 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:11 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:25 pm
SBD wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:21 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:

A lot of the buses are accessible now.
Nearly all are accessible - I think the remaining SL202's are the only non-accessible buses now, and they'll be retired by the end of the year.

robboaustralia
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#945 Post by robboaustralia » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:03 am

gnrc_louis wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:18 pm
The loss of some of the Saturday after midnight services is a real shame. I used to catch the N30 fairly regularly, and it would save me about $25 for a taxi or an Uber. I don't go out so much anymore, but for a lot of younger people with less money, this service was a great way to have a cheaper night out.
Yeah this is disappointing. I dont go out alot but like to head out after the footy on Saturdays. Being a bit of a tightarse I don't like to fork out for taxis and usually get away with showing my footy ticket at 1am for free travel on night bus.