News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by SBD »

rubberman wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:51 pm
ginzahikari wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:04 pm
Sorry for the bad picture, but here's a picture of one of the new bus stops - In real life it looks bulkier than the bus stops equipped with real time information, and it's a shame that they did not include any real time info displays with this
I'm a little curious. If you have the apps mentioned on the stop, then why do you need real time info on the stop as well? It's expensive technology to maintain and install, and it's not immediately obvious what advantage it has over an app?
Not everyone has a fast smart phone in their hand all the time. Mine is slow enough that the bus would have left by the time I had got it out of my pocket, got the app to open and checked if this is the bus I want or if mine will be a minute behind it.
rubberman
Legendary Member!

Post by rubberman »

SBD wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:26 pm
rubberman wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:51 pm
ginzahikari wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:04 pm
Sorry for the bad picture, but here's a picture of one of the new bus stops - In real life it looks bulkier than the bus stops equipped with real time information, and it's a shame that they did not include any real time info displays with this
I'm a little curious. If you have the apps mentioned on the stop, then why do you need real time info on the stop as well? It's expensive technology to maintain and install, and it's not immediately obvious what advantage it has over an app?
Not everyone has a fast smart phone in their hand all the time. Mine is slow enough that the bus would have left by the time I had got it out of my pocket, got the app to open and checked if this is the bus I want or if mine will be a minute behind it.
While that's true, the numbers of people who do have mobile phones...and that's a lot...reduces the numbers of people who benefit from real time displays. So, the government is looking at spending lots more on fewer and fewer people.

It can obviously be justified where there are lots of buses or trains going to lots of places, but where there's fewer buses and destinations, justifying the expense for increasingly smaller numbers of people without smartphones gets harder by the day.

I mean, what do you say when there's this huge cost to install something that is now able to be done with multiple free apps...and so few people are now without smartphones? Yes, for those who don't have smartphones, they don't benefit. But they aren't worse off either.
bits
Legendary Member!

Post by bits »

Golden Grove Park n Ride:

https://ptpa.com.au/projects/golden-grove-park-n-ride

"On 10 November 2020, the State Government announced an additional $25 million in funding over two years for the Golden Grove Park ‘n’ Ride, bringing total funding for the project to $33 million."

"The new Golden Grove Park ‘n’ Ride will comprise three levels of parking (ground floor plus two upper levels) and when complete will provide 450 car parking spaces, which will include ten Disability Discrimination Act 1992, compliant car parks and provision for secure bicycle storage. The new Park ‘n’ Ride will be constructed on the site of the existing car park and its surrounds."

"Works for the Golden Grove Park ‘n’ Ride Project are planned to commence Wednesday 17 February 2021, with project completion expected in early 2022, weather permitting."

Existing carpark:Image
VLtom
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Post by VLtom »

Video I made about the new park 'n' ride back in January

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWx9sL2 ... ieWirraway
rubberman
Legendary Member!

Post by rubberman »

When there's a breakdown.
20210304_183817_copy_1478x794.jpg
Cool recovery vehicle
SBD

Post by SBD »

rubberman wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:03 pm

Great picture - well done. What buildings are in the background?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

SBD wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:17 pm
rubberman wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:03 pm

Great picture - well done. What buildings are in the background?
Tandanya and the Old Exchange Hotel