[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: South Road Upgrade

#346 Post by Xaragmata » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:23 pm

Norman wrote:
Xaragmata wrote:A South Road diversion has been constructed across the new culverts in Brown Hill Creek, west
of existing road, and looked ready to be cut in when I saw it Friday.
I think that's more of an entrance, I would hope they have the entire new western road alignment done when they open on that side.
As far as I can tell, the diversion is to allow excavation & installation of the second culvert across the existing South Road, but it is
built to a very high standard, so may be in use for some time. 3 pics, looking north from near Basnett St, the culverts, then south
from near Garfield Ave ... http://www.xaragmata.thebbs.org/album/c ... _5187.html

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#347 Post by Norman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:28 pm

Hmm, I haven't been to that side for a while (I might go down there in some cooler conditions), but you may be right actually. Nice find.

Xaragmata

#348 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:24 am

Norman wrote:Hmm, I haven't been to that side for a while (I might go down there in some cooler conditions), but you may be right actually. Nice find.
I just confirmed it on the Consortium's site ("Adelaide Connect" http://www.adelaideconnect.com.au/).
The Community Update - December 2007 PDF shows the diagram of the diversion, which will be going on until mid-2008.

From the FAQ - Temporary traffic diversions will be in place around Brown Hill Creek on South Road, while another large culvert is
constructed next to the existing one. Two lanes of traffic will be provided in both directions, through a minor realignment on South Road.

I'll check out the Project display in the Homemakers Centre next time I'm there.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#349 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:07 pm

The diversion is now open.

skyliner

#350 Post by skyliner » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:46 pm

Xaragmata wrote: I'll check out the Project display in the Homemakers Centre next time I'm there.
Definitely worth the trouble. Have just been there. They have a full colour schematic representation handout of the project- extends out about 3 A4 pages.(landscape). They also have a handout on the tram overpass.

ADELAIDE - CITY ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Xaragmata

#351 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:07 pm

skyliner wrote:
Xaragmata wrote: I'll check out the Project display in the Homemakers Centre next time I'm there.
Definitely worth the trouble. Have just been there. They have a full colour schematic representation handout of the project- extends
out about 3 A4 pages.(landscape). They also have a handout on the tram overpass.
Yes, you're right. I went today, & have the final design brochure, & some fridge magnets of the tram overpass etc. Brown Hill Creek
dig is well advanced.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#352 Post by AtD » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:20 pm

Would you be able to do me a favour and scan them in? Much appreciated.

Xaragmata

#353 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:46 pm

AtD wrote:Would you be able to do me a favour and scan them in? Much appreciated.
It is already done on the AdelaideConnect site :)

Community Update - September 2007
http://www.adelaideconnect.com.au/downl ... esized.pdf

There is a similar view of the final design ...
http://www.adelaideconnect.com.au/downl ... RD-low.pdf

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#354 Post by AtD » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:13 pm

Thanks. I was hoping for more info on the tram overpass, though.

Xaragmata

#355 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:35 am

AtD wrote:Thanks. I was hoping for more info on the tram overpass, though.
Sorry, the tram overpass brochure is at ...

http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/__data/assets ... dition.pdf

The Flexity on the back page with the 1800 enquiry number is reproduced as a fridge magnet.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#356 Post by stelaras » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:57 am

IMHO...if you want to minimise the impact of the overpass onto the houses that are on either side of the track and to blend in with the environment around the tram line wouldn't it be better and possibly cheaper to make it an underpass instead???

In a more general concern i have. The overall goal at least from what i have read is that they want to make south road into a "non-stop" corridor for north south.. How will this be "non-stop" when there many traffic light pre and post the new underpasses?????

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#357 Post by muzzamo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:39 am

stelaras wrote: In a more general concern i have. The overall goal at least from what i have read is that they want to make south road into a "non-stop" corridor for north south.. How will this be "non-stop" when there many traffic light pre and post the new underpasses?????
Because its not there yet but thats what they want to aim for in the long term.. Duh!

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#358 Post by AG » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:48 am

muzzamo wrote:
stelaras wrote: In a more general concern i have. The overall goal at least from what i have read is that they want to make south road into a "non-stop" corridor for north south.. How will this be "non-stop" when there many traffic light pre and post the new underpasses?????
Because its not there yet but thats what they want to aim for in the long term.. Duh!
The Rann Government could have coordinated a plan for South Road better, by announcing an overall plan first and then committing to different stages over a period of time, rather than doing one project at a time without stringing them together and then committing to the next. There would need to be quite a bit of aquisition of properties along some sections of South Road in order to produce a non-stop corridor. Some sections such as the Edwardstown area might be a little bit more tricky to grade separate from surrounding roads as there are quite a few intersections as well as Castle Plaza fronting South Road.

If the tram was going to go into an underpass, it wouldn't leave much space for the side platforms and the retaining walls would need to be built first before excavation. It's cheaper and easier to construct the tram line in an overpass than in an underpass.

urban
Legendary Member!

#359 Post by urban » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:23 am

Is the overpass going to have provision for pedestrians and cyclists?

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#360 Post by stelaras » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:45 am

muzzamo wrote: Because its not there yet but thats what they want to aim for in the long term.. Duh!
No need for the DUH!!! comment

What im stating is that never have really highlighted that it is a staged project with the overall goal is to make it non-stop! All you here about is the 3 underpasses!

It would be nice to see the whole plan.