[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
stelaras
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: South Road Upgrade

#361 Post by stelaras » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:48 am

AG wrote:
The Rann Government could have coordinated a plan for South Road better, by announcing an overall plan first and then committing to different stages over a period of time, rather than doing one project at a time without stringing them together and then committing to the next. There would need to be quite a bit of aquisition of properties along some sections of South Road in order to produce a non-stop corridor. Some sections such as the Edwardstown area might be a little bit more tricky to grade separate from surrounding roads as there are quite a few intersections as well as Castle Plaza fronting South Road.

If the tram was going to go into an underpass, it wouldn't leave much space for the side platforms and the retaining walls would need to be built first before excavation. It's cheaper and easier to construct the tram line in an overpass than in an underpass.

Thanks AG makes more sense.

I do foresee huge problems with the sections around castle plaza and blackforest regions..Moreover the fact that there are a fair few shop fromts and schools that are right up against South road would make it very hard to make this non-stop. But im sure this has been covered in the other 23 pages of info!

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#362 Post by rhino » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:49 am

One way would be to buy up land on one side of the current alignment, sink the main road down the middle of the new, wider road reserve, and have service roads at ground level on either side, with the occasional cross-over at places like Edward St, Raglan Ave, etc.
cheers,
Rhino

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#363 Post by AG » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:35 am

rhino wrote:One way would be to buy up land on one side of the current alignment, sink the main road down the middle of the new, wider road reserve, and have service roads at ground level on either side, with the occasional cross-over at places like Edward St, Raglan Ave, etc.
Much like this:

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#364 Post by muzzamo » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:39 am

stelaras wrote:What im stating is that never have really highlighted that it is a staged project with the overall goal is to make it non-stop! All you here about is the 3 underpasses!

It would be nice to see the whole plan.
I'm sure that DTEI have it sitting somewhere in their hot little hands. Unfortunately government does not always take the most logical route (disclosing all plans) because this is not how politics work. Much better to announce the stuff they have funded and can afford, than announce stuff then have to backpedal when it all gets cancelled.

In the long run, and in terms of outcomes for this state, does it really matter if people like yourself and I know what DTEIs wish list consists of? Probably not. Keep in mind that every department has a list of infrastructure projects that they would like to see funded also.

rhino

#365 Post by rhino » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:03 am

As soon as a plan like this is made public, people (especially the opposition) want it costed. Considering this may take 20 years or more to come to fruition, costing it is almost impossible. Then they get hailed as being irresponsible with public money. Either "Cost Blowouts" or "Unable to cost their plans". It's just not worth it to them to disclose the whole plan. This does not mean they don't have it. Have some faith.
cheers,
Rhino

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#366 Post by ReallyBad » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:12 pm

I've been thinking about the Castle Plaza area of South Road, and wonder if anyone has thought to work in conjuction with Castle Plaza, now that they own the Hills site North of Raglan Avenue, that if Raglan Avenue was diverted northwards to join Edward Street - thus making only one intersection and then Castle Plaza would have one continuous property.

Like this

Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

#367 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:21 pm

thats not such a bad idea.

Omicron

#368 Post by Omicron » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:03 am

ReallyBad wrote:I've been thinking about the Castle Plaza area of South Road, and wonder if anyone has thought to work in conjuction with Castle Plaza, now that they own the Hills site North of Raglan Avenue, that if Raglan Avenue was diverted northwards to join Edward Street - thus making only one intersection and then Castle Plaza would have one continuous property.

Like this
That's a pretty good idea. I've always wondered how on earth Castle Plaza is to exist as two separate buildings, or as one strangely disjointed building with a bridge over Raglan Avenue. With the mall layout as it is, the shops just in front of Target's internal entrance have to disappear so that the mall could continue straight through towards Hills, which seems more logical than buildings all over the place, or bridges to nowhere.

What about the businesses on the corner of Raglan and South Rd, though - there's a Bridgestone (or similar) tyre centre, and some kind of furniture store there, who I don't imagine would be overjoyed by the closing of the intersection?

rhino

#369 Post by rhino » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:21 am

This is an excellent idea which I actually thought of years ago myself - back then I thought the DOT should buy up some of the land along Ackland Steet and curve Ragland Ave into it immediately east of the level crossing. Your current scenario is more likely though, considering the recent buy-up of the Hills property. Well Done!
cheers,
Rhino

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#370 Post by Wayno » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:19 am

great idea reallyBad!

Can everyone put on their thinking caps and solve this problem too ==> How can we get southbound motorists exiting the Castle Plaza carpark to do so without a set of traffic lights? If we achieve this then the lights at the southern end of Castle Plaza could be removed!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rhino

#371 Post by rhino » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:49 am

Wayno wrote:great idea reallyBad!

Can everyone put on their thinking caps and solve this problem too ==> How can we get southbound motorists exiting the Castle Plaza carpark to do so without a set of traffic lights? If we achieve this then the lights at the southern end of Castle Plaza could be removed!
If you look at my post at the top of this page, what you ask is possible by exiting on to Raglan Avenue, especially if ReallyBad's Raglan Ave idea is implemented. If the bulk of the transport on South Road is in the sunken through-road, then only service road traffic will be affected by the traffic lights at Raglan Ave / Edward St. The issue of traffic banking up in the carpark would not be great, as the South Road service road would not need the same time-priority at the traffic lights as the current South Road does.
cheers,
Rhino

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#372 Post by AG » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:55 am

Some sort of U-turn bays and the permitting of U-turns at other existing intersections and restricting the access to left-in and left-out only might get traffic flowing smoother.

Xaragmata

#373 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:29 am

ReallyBad wrote:I've been thinking about the Castle Plaza area of South Road, and wonder if anyone has thought to work in conjuction
with Castle Plaza, now that they own the Hills site North of Raglan Avenue, that if Raglan Avenue was diverted northwards to join Edward
Street - thus making only one intersection and then Castle Plaza would have one continuous property.
A good idea, but apparently noone has thought to work with CFS Property Trust, which currently intends to keep Raglan Street open,
with an active retailing streetscape on both sides. Sounds OK, but might end up like North Park / Sefton Plaza.
(Source: http://www.colonialfirststate.com.au/cf ... 473696.pdf )

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#374 Post by SRW » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:44 pm

Bloody brilliant idea ReallyBad!

I lived in the area and it always struck me as ridiculous to have two thoroughfares (Raglan and Edward streets) intersecting individually onto South Rd.

I hope there are some policy-makers or journalists perusing this site so that this idea comes into consideration. Perhaps it ought to be mailed directly to somewhere?
Keep Adelaide Weird

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#375 Post by ReallyBad » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:46 pm

Thanks for the good feedback - it just seems logical to me.
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.