[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
tybalt
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Anzac Hwy/South Road underpass - March Update

#76 Post by tybalt » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:02 pm

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#77 Post by ReallyBad » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:50 pm

Looks great to me - they seem to have spent a lot of time covering every angle - really like the Bayonets idea - Adelaide needs more large public art like this.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#78 Post by stelaras » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:25 am

I think this looks great, I really like the idea ofthe Bayonets!

However, im still not sure how effective (both ways) the underpass will be. The underpass terminates at Forest street jusat before the tramline heading south.. Therefore any advantage gained in time would be held up at the tramline and the two sets of lights up around black forest primary school!

does anyone agree with me?

I would have much preferred that it (the underpass) be extended under the tramline and those sets of lights and come out just before the the overpass on cross roads

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#79 Post by rogue » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:16 am

stelaras wrote:I think this looks great, I really like the idea ofthe Bayonets!

However, im still not sure how effective (both ways) the underpass will be. The underpass terminates at Forest street jusat before the tramline heading south.. Therefore any advantage gained in time would be held up at the tramline and the two sets of lights up around black forest primary school!

I would have much preferred that it (the underpass) be extended under the tramline and those sets of lights and come out just before the the overpass on cross roads
Hear, hear. Couldn't agree more.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#80 Post by Ho Really » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:43 pm

stelaras wrote:...However, im still not sure how effective (both ways) the underpass will be. The underpass terminates at Forest street jusat before the tramline heading south.. Therefore any advantage gained in time would be held up at the tramline and the two sets of lights up around black forest primary school!

I have said it before and I'll say it again, the underpasses on South Road are a waste of money. Now even more if traffic needs to stop at the tram crossing!

Cheers

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#81 Post by Will » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:37 pm

The BP service station has closed.

Mants
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#82 Post by Mants » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:48 pm

st joseph's catholic church at kurralta park is also in the process of closing down. i was informed that the last service at the church was yesterday (sunday) afternoon.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#83 Post by shuza » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:34 pm

As the project nears its initial construction start, the more objective am towards it.

There is no future planning in all of this - its a costly mistake Adelaide cannot afford to make - traffic congestion is going to be bottled up for 4 years during cosntruction, only to bottle upat the tramline upon its opening.

Will409
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#84 Post by Will409 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:11 am

I think you have failed to ask yourself one thing, what about traffic flow after construction?

Mants
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#85 Post by Mants » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:18 am

Will409 wrote:I think you have failed to ask yourself one thing, what about traffic flow after construction?
he did say that....
shuza wrote:There is no future planning in all of this - its a costly mistake Adelaide cannot afford to make - traffic congestion is going to be bottled up for 4 years during cosntruction, only to bottle upat the tramline upon its opening.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#86 Post by Al » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:09 am

Mants wrote:
Will409 wrote:I think you have failed to ask yourself one thing, what about traffic flow after construction?
he did say that....
shuza wrote:There is no future planning in all of this - its a costly mistake Adelaide cannot afford to make - traffic congestion is going to be bottled up for 4 years during cosntruction, only to bottle upat the tramline upon its opening.
I think it's a case of doing things one step at a time. It may bottle up at the tram crossing but that'll be no different from the current situation. It's not to say that there won't be future upgrades of South Rd once these underpasses are done. I know that the government was also looking at another major underpass at the junction of Grand Junction and Main North so I don't think they've announced everything.

I suspect that announcing too many projects would open themselves to attacks from the opposition regarding expenditure blowouts, compulsory land acquisition, etc, etc. I also think that perhaps other considerations have come into play such as funding for the Wellington weir which may have taken priority. At the end of the day, there's only so much money to be spent. I use South Rd fequently and I'm a believer of "no pain, no gain".

Cruise
Banned
Banned

[COM]

#87 Post by Cruise » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:26 pm

Al wrote:I think it's a case of doing things one step at a time. It may bottle up at the tram crossing but that'll be no different from the current situation. It's not to say that there won't be future upgrades of South Rd once these underpasses are done. I know that the government was also looking at another major underpass at the junction of Grand Junction and Main North so I don't think they've announced everything.
The over/under pass at that intersection should be for main north road to connect to Pt Wakefield road unsignalized. It would compliment the new northern expressway when its built with a timely rollout of over/under passes along Pt Wakefield road.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#88 Post by AtD » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:27 pm

No, an under/overpass at the Gepps Cross intersection should be for east-west traffic on Grand Junction road. The intersection carries a lot of commercial traffic, including road trains, the vast majority head along Grand Junction and Port Wakefield Roads. Main North Road traffic is mostly private cars in comparison. An over/underpass for Main North and Port Wakefield Road north-south bound traffic would just encourage more city-bound commuting, when heavy rail runs practically parallel.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#89 Post by rhino » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:53 am

AtD wrote:No, an under/overpass at the Gepps Cross intersection should be for east-west traffic on Grand Junction road. The intersection carries a lot of commercial traffic, including road trains, the vast majority head along Grand Junction and Port Wakefield Roads. Main North Road traffic is mostly private cars in comparison. An over/underpass for Main North and Port Wakefield Road north-south bound traffic would just encourage more city-bound commuting, when heavy rail runs practically parallel.
Well said. Heavy commercial traffic heading for the Port from the north no longer uses Grand Junction Road anyway, but there's a lot of it coming from the South East, up Portrush/Hampstead roads and along Grand Junction Road to the port. It's more important to get the heavy transport task working efficiently and get commuters on to efficient public transport.
cheers,
Rhino

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#90 Post by AtD » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:19 am

rhino wrote: It's more important to get the heavy transport task working efficiently
Which is the point of the expressway to begin with, provide an alternative route for freight away from the towns.