News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Public transport in Adelaide vs. public transport in Europe

#76 Post by jk1237 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:54 pm

cruise, are you able to video this o'bahn dance of m-hell, and post it on here. Im very curious :lol:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#77 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:55 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Cruise wrote:
Norman wrote:Until they demolish the O-Bahn of course.
*awaits O-bahn dance*
*Performs OBahn dance (with lyrics) on Norman's head* :twisted:
You disgust me with that German grammar. Disgraceful. :x

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#78 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:59 pm

Norman wrote:You disgust me with that German grammar. Disgraceful. :x
Help me? :cry: I have only school boy German. :cry:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#79 Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:12 pm

jk1237 wrote:cruise, are you able to video this o'bahn dance of m-hell, and post it on here. Im very curious :lol:
I wish i could, i want to see it :oops:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#80 Post by Wayno » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:07 am

monotonehell wrote:
Norman wrote:Adelaide's density is 615/km² (1592.8/sq mi)
Speaking of this, does anyone have a population density map for the Greater Metro Area? I've only been able to find one for the Square mile and North Adelaide. Like this:
The ABS website is probably your best bet. lots of population density stats from the last census...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#81 Post by monotonehell » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:08 pm

Wayno and AtD wrote:The ABS website is probably your best bet. lots of population density stats from the last census...
Cheers guys, I'd already searched the ABS site for minutes and FAILED. But AtD pointed me to the Adelaide Social Atlas document and low and behold on page 9 is exactly what I want. Unfortunately it confirmed what I suspected, Adelaide is a big flat sprawl making PT difficult until we do some social engineering and encourage more denser pockets of population. (Yes I see the joke there, no you shouldn't post it Omicron or Wayno ;) )
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#82 Post by ozisnowman » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:28 pm

AG wrote:I think what Bender is trying to get across is that our public transportation system is overdependent on the use of buses. That is particularly true on the long bus routes that run north to south across the city, those including the 22x series of buses serving Main North Road, the 21x and the 72x series heading south. What there needs to be on these longer routes is a shift from the so called express bus routes which get caught in inner city traffic to a combination of slow and fast train services served by feeder bus routes, and the excess bus capacity shifted to areas where they are needed.

I also agree with the fact that some buses have entrances that are too small. The buses really need to be allocated more efficiently, as there are some long buses going to quiet routes such as the 291 while there are tiny buses on some of the other busier routes such as the 143, 145 and 146.
I have been advocating for such a system for ages. Government just doesnt want to listen as it has outserviced the bus routes
to private contracters who compete against rail services directly. Take for example the 721X which is express from City to Norlunga Centre and the
Express Train to Norlunga Centre... I know some people catch the bus further down king william and on grote street but surely they would not
be inconvenienced too much by catching the tram and then train if those services where frequent and the train was upgrade and fast.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#83 Post by Omicron » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:01 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Wayno and AtD wrote:The ABS website is probably your best bet. lots of population density stats from the last census...
Cheers guys, I'd already searched the ABS site for minutes and FAILED. But AtD pointed me to the Adelaide Social Atlas document and low and behold on page 9 is exactly what I want. Unfortunately it confirmed what I suspected, Adelaide is a big flat sprawl making PT difficult until we do some social engineering and encourage more denser pockets of population. (Yes I see the joke there, no you shouldn't post it Omicron or Wayno ;) )
Oh, boo!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Planning SA - PT Usage Statistics, etc

#84 Post by Wayno » Thu May 29, 2008 4:42 pm

the Planning SA Website sure is interesting. Heaps of stats such as:
* percent of people using PT by local govt area,
* median distance travelled to work by LGA,
* etc...

http://www.planning.sa.gov.au/index.cfm ... BE12B42B83
Here's an example of their analysis (provided just for visual impact - visit the url above for full details)
planning-sa-analysis.JPG
planning-sa-analysis.JPG (53.83 KiB) Viewed 2502 times
This is a must read for all you guys who love spending your evenings designing the perfect PT system for Adelaide! :wink:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

Re: Planning SA - PT Usage Statistics, etc

#85 Post by Bulldozer » Thu May 29, 2008 8:10 pm

Another interesting site is http://www.atlas.sa.gov.au - a Google Maps type application that allows you to view all sorts of government data.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Planning SA - PT Usage Statistics, etc

#86 Post by AtD » Thu May 29, 2008 8:27 pm

Adding to the list:
http://abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/2030.4/

Data from the 2006 Census in map form.

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#87 Post by cleverick » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:52 pm

jk1237 wrote:
If only we had some German influence, attitudes and ideas when it come to public transport in Aust. It would be sehr gut.
I have some good news for you, jk: I love Germany, and am heavily influenced by their thinking.
That's why I argue not for a train-tram along the Outer Harbour line, but for a tram down the middle of Port Road. It should have its own right of way, like in the north of the CBD. I would like to see the median strip re-developed into a linear park/wetlands thing, too. Since Port Road is a major thoroughfare, pedestrian scrambles would be inappropriate: instead pedestrian overpasses should be built at every station.
This would all contribute to a major rejuvination of the commerce in the region, and ultimately I can see "Port Boulevard" on par with the Champs Elysees for vibrancy.

Oh, and the choice of two railways into Town would mean that practically no one in the north west would ever have to drive to work again- sort of like in Germany, to return to the meaning of this post.

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#88 Post by cleverick » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:59 pm

Although you might not like some of my ideas. You'll find that Germany is very efficiently set out: there are dense cities, farmland, native woods and country towns within a stone's throw of each other.
I would like Victoria Park turned into Victoria Forest, I would like much of the north western suburbs returned to market gardening, I would like to see more high-rise apartments in satellite cities like the Port, the Bay, Elizabeth, Marion, and others, I would like to see an end to shopping malls (again like Marion), to be replaced by Rundle Mall/Hindley St-style developments, I would like to see the urban boundary drastically reduced, leaving behind Salisbury as a discrete entity...

Then Adelaide would look like Germany, and then German public transport would be possible. It is the density and distribution of German cities which make their population possible. Adelaide's 1/4acre blocks (even the sub-divided ones) just don't offer the population required to enable public transport. We really are doomed to use the car till this situation reverses itself.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#89 Post by Norman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:35 pm

I'm sure everyone wants to be like Germany (except their unemployment rate), but is it really suitable for a place like Adelaide? A place where suburban sprawl is a problem that won't go away for centuries? A city with an ever-expanding urban boundary? I think not.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#90 Post by Omicron » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:40 pm

cleverick wrote:Although you might not like some of my ideas. You'll find that Germany is very efficiently set out: there are dense cities, farmland, native woods and country towns within a stone's throw of each other.
I would like Victoria Park turned into Victoria Forest, I would like much of the north western suburbs returned to market gardening, I would like to see more high-rise apartments in satellite cities like the Port, the Bay, Elizabeth, Marion, and others, I would like to see an end to shopping malls (again like Marion), to be replaced by Rundle Mall/Hindley St-style developments, I would like to see the urban boundary drastically reduced, leaving behind Salisbury as a discrete entity...

Then Adelaide would look like Germany, and then German public transport would be possible. It is the density and distribution of German cities which make their population possible. Adelaide's 1/4acre blocks (even the sub-divided ones) just don't offer the population required to enable public transport. We really are doomed to use the car till this situation reverses itself.
Do have fun compulsorily acquiring entire suburbs. :wink: