[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
drsmith
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1441 Post by drsmith » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:56 pm

Nice. :applause:

With a federal election next year, it's a 99.9% probability the $85m rail extension will be funded.

notmichaeljfox
High Rise Poster!

#1442 Post by notmichaeljfox » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:48 pm

I wonder how the councils will react to this. Does this design address many of their concerns?

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#1443 Post by drsmith » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:58 pm

I know it's a legitimate question that' should be considered but after what's happened with Roe 8 in Perth in the past week, I'm prepared to go out on a limb and say stuff the councils.

Build it without mercy.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1444 Post by AG » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:09 pm

With all the scope changes to the project occurring now, Darlington upgrade isn't really an appropriate name given that almost the entire scope of works falls into Bedford Park. Great to see the increased scope of works coming through on the infrastructure projects - there must be contractors bidding at considerably lower rates than a few years ago to win work in light of the mining downturn.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#1445 Post by drsmith » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:40 pm

There's no right turn on Sturt Road westbound towards the city for those coming out of FU.

They'll have to use Sheperds Hill Road instead.
Last edited by drsmith on Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1446 Post by muzzamo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:42 pm

:-)

Anyway, here is the flinders link flyover as well. I'm really glad they are taking it seriously, it would be a seriously missed opportunity otherwise. They just need to pull the opex from somewhere to properly fund frequent Tonsley (now Flinders) train services.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#1447 Post by neoballmon » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:07 pm

I'm not a fan of the perspex-looking train overpass, but otherwise this is an excellent, and much better than anticipated bonus!
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#1448 Post by fifty » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:14 pm

Wow!!!!!

Had a closer look now. Hard to fault this. I see carnage at the approx. 100m merge zone where north bound Motorway vehicles exit to take Ayliffes Rd and surface South Rd drop to get on to the Motorway, but there seems plenty of space south of this zone they can extend to simplify the merging.

Tonsley Blvd intersection looks a bit of a mess

Glad to see they adopted my idea a few pages back of creating a thoroughfare from Flinders to Tonsley by extending Laffers Drive through the triangle and across Sturt Rd to hook up with Birch Crs ;)

Elevated train and Flinders Station is awesome.

It's like Christmas! What next?!
Last edited by fifty on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1449 Post by Goodsy » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:41 pm

Shahkar wrote:
That Sutton Road entrance is going to be an absolute nightmare

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1450 Post by rogue » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:36 pm

fifty wrote:Had a closer look now. Hard to fault this. I see carnage at the approx. 100m merge zone where north bound Motorway vehicles exit to take Ayliffes Rd and surface South Rd drop to get on to the Motorway, but there seems plenty of space south of this zone they can extend to simplify the merging.
I thought the same, but this will give a bit more details: http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... esign2.pdf

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1451 Post by AG » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:30 pm

Those interchanges mean that Adelaide drivers will have to get used to merging and picking the correct lane or end up going down the wrong route - left lane to South Road, right lane to Ayliffes Road. Welcome to what most other major Australian cities have become accustomed to.

The fifth lane on the far left citybound looks a bit useless - I think four lanes will suffice.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1452 Post by rev » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:28 pm

AG wrote:Those interchanges mean that Adelaide drivers will have to get used to merging and picking the correct lane or end up going down the wrong route - left lane to South Road, right lane to Ayliffes Road. Welcome to what most other major Australian cities have become accustomed to.

The fifth lane on the far left citybound looks a bit useless - I think four lanes will suffice.

Adelaide drivers will take years to figure it out. I think in the mean time I'm going to invest in a new tow truck shop in the area, it'll be sure to make a small fortune in the years following this interchanges completion. :mrgreen:

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1453 Post by Goodsy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:02 pm

rogue wrote:
fifty wrote:Had a closer look now. Hard to fault this. I see carnage at the approx. 100m merge zone where north bound Motorway vehicles exit to take Ayliffes Rd and surface South Rd drop to get on to the Motorway, but there seems plenty of space south of this zone they can extend to simplify the merging.
I thought the same, but this will give a bit more details: http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... esign2.pdf
Oh wow, nevermind. The fly through shows something completely different to that

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1454 Post by AG » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:43 pm

rev wrote:
AG wrote:Those interchanges mean that Adelaide drivers will have to get used to merging and picking the correct lane or end up going down the wrong route - left lane to South Road, right lane to Ayliffes Road. Welcome to what most other major Australian cities have become accustomed to.

Adelaide drivers will take years to figure it out. I think in the mean time I'm going to invest in a new tow truck shop in the area, it'll be sure to make a small fortune in the years following this interchanges completion. :mrgreen:
Get a smash repair workshop while you're out there.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1455 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:46 pm

I must say (in a first) I'm quite excited for the federal election, if our state government have already managed to secure extra federal government funding for extensions to the Northern Connector, Darlington and T2T projects (as well as the Tonsley line extension) who knows what could be on the table next year.

I'd say the next chunk to be upgraded along South Road will be Tonsley Boulevard to Emerson crossing (or perhaps even as far as the Gallipoli underpass), my understanding is this section will be raised motorway (at-least until Emerson) and the current Emerson overpass will be taken down and rebuilt as a down ramp for this section of roadway (and the level train crossing trenched under Cross Road), correct me if I'm wrong anyone?