[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5071 Post by SBD » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:55 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:18 pm
Which still leaves us with clogged arterial roads and a very expensive half empty motorway. The more cars making longer trips we move onto the motorway, the easier life gets for people doing local A to B and our bus network.
Why would it be half empty?

Those exits still leave three options to get into the CBD, as well as carrying all the traffic that is going somewhere else along the current South Road or its nearby parallel routes.

I have a colleague whose current quickest route between home in the southern suburbs and work in the northern ones often involves King William Street. If the motorway means his quickest route doesn't pass through the CBD, there is a net gain, even though it doesn't reduce the local traffic on the surface South Road. The purpose is to separate the through traffic from the local traffic, not just to make the local road wider.

Putting lots of entry/exits on the motorway is equivalent to making an express bus that will stop at every bus stop if someone wants to catch it there.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#5072 Post by Eurostar » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:30 am

SBD wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:55 pm
NTRabbit wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:18 pm
Which still leaves us with clogged arterial roads and a very expensive half empty motorway. The more cars making longer trips we move onto the motorway, the easier life gets for people doing local A to B and our bus network.
Why would it be half empty?

Those exits still leave three options to get into the CBD, as well as carrying all the traffic that is going somewhere else along the current South Road or its nearby parallel routes.

I have a colleague whose current quickest route between home in the southern suburbs and work in the northern ones often involves King William Street. If the motorway means his quickest route doesn't pass through the CBD, there is a net gain, even though it doesn't reduce the local traffic on the surface South Road. The purpose is to separate the through traffic from the local traffic, not just to make the local road wider.

Putting lots of entry/exits on the motorway is equivalent to making an express bus that will stop at every bus stop if someone wants to catch it there.
The express buses like T721X and G22X will benefit from the motorway, could even attract more car drivers to switch to public transport for commutes to and from the City.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#5073 Post by Saltwater » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:08 pm

I agree, there's a similar situation in Sydney with buses from the Eastern Suburbs. The X39 from Randwick to Chifley Tower in the northern end of the CBD takes around 20 minutes, the same trip by the multi-billion dollar tram line takes close to an hour. Thankfully the NSW Transport Dept had the common sense to retain the express bus services using the Eastern Distributor Tunnel.

A similar situation in Adelaide wouldn't hurt with buses using the tunnel into the city, but I agree less is more when it comes to entrances and exits from the NSM. Heading North from the southern suburbs, exits at Anzac Highway would direct traffic to the southern end of the CBD. Another at SDB (for southbound only) would direct traffic across James Congdon and onto West Terrace for distribution through the rest of the city.

Heading south from Croydon the exits onto Port Road work well, given its multiple lanes and can then distribute traffic across North Terrace and onto West Terrace.

Other potential exits along the route have issues. The Grange Road / Manton St intersection is already a mess without piling additional NSM traffic onto it. West Thebarton Roads & Ashwin Parades just don't have capacity to absorb traffic coming across the motorway, and HBR is a significant east-west bottleneck with the Thebby Theatre in the mix when it comes to any widening.

The only unknown is Richmond Road and what happens there if its going to be used for more airport traffic, initially for freight, and potentially also for passenger movements.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#5074 Post by how good is he » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:10 pm

I read the aim for the airport is for Richmond Rd to have a dedicated interchange for freight/taxis & Sir Don Bradman Drv to have an interchange for passenger vehicles.

croweater888
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5075 Post by croweater888 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:52 pm

croweater888
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5076 Post by croweater888 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:58 pm

SBD

#5077 Post by SBD » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:21 pm

Where did the new bridge go on its tour of SA to make a 600-km journey from Bow Hill to Regency Park? Or do they mean that three pieces each made a 200km journey from Bow Hill via Blanchetown?

EBG

#5078 Post by EBG » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:38 pm

The Pym St pedestrian over pass as at 20/2/2021 (looking north from the south east side). Please click on picture for bigger.
Attachments
20210220_pym st 1.jpg

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#5079 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:03 pm

That bridge looks fantastic!

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5080 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:30 am

A render on the DIT website. The intersection is that of South Road/Henley Beach Road.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5081 Post by phenom » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:51 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:30 am
A render on the DIT website. The intersection is that of South Road/Henley Beach Road.
This looks like the first time I've seen a render for this (I could be wrong though as I don't follow it that closely) where there were clearly three lanes each way in the tunnel? I hope it's a good sign even though it's still just a render/impression.

SBD

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5082 Post by SBD » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:58 pm

phenom wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:51 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
This looks like the first time I've seen a render for this (I could be wrong though as I don't follow it that closely) where there were clearly three lanes each way in the tunnel? I hope it's a good sign even though it's still just a render/impression.
I think it's also the first time there has been a picture with two side-by-side tunnels deep enough to be below the sewers, stormwater drains etc. It would be interesting to see the 3D model that shows everything else that we usually can't see.

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5083 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:00 pm

SBD wrote:
phenom wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:51 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
I think it's also the first time there has been a picture with two side-by-side tunnels deep enough to be below the sewers, stormwater drains etc. It would be interesting to see the 3D model that shows everything else that we usually can't see.
That render indeed depicts three lanes.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort

#5084 Post by Nort » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:15 am

Pretty sure that render is what accompanied the announcement that a tunnel would be going through the area, and think the main purpose of it is to just show that the South Road/Henley Beach road intersection is untouched.

kingy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5085 Post by kingy » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:17 am

phenom wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
The FAQ on the DIT website states that a 15m diameter TBM's would likely be the size procured, does anyone know how many lanes this would indicate? 3 lanes certainly seems viable at 15m.

https://dit.sa.gov.au/nsc/torrens_to_da ... _questions

What will be the height of the underground tunnel? 

The height of the tunnel will be determined by a number of factors, including the number of tunnel lanes required. The number of lanes will determine the diameter of the Tunnel Boring Machines (TBM) in addition to freight and High Productivity Vehicle height needs.
While the diameter of TBMs can vary, it is estimated that the machines we will use will be around 15 metres.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk