[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5221 Post by Furyan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:53 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:27 pm

Also it looks like they will cut my beloved Keswick Creek in half. What will happen to it? Will they pump it under the motorway?
Keswick Creek could be incorporated into the James Congdon Bridge. As part of the T2T the Port Road bridge had very large pipes under it.
AG wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:16 pm
Be interested to see how competing on-ramp and off-ramp traffic is managed between Anzac Highway and the northern end of the Southern Tunnel. The motorway could end up very congested if south bound on-ramp traffic from Anzac Highway is not separated from off-ramp traffic to Cross Road and South Road southbound, and vice versa.
I would suggest this competing traffic would cross over/under each other. This would be similar to the Darlington Upgrade where the Flinders Drive down ramp goes over the Main South Road up ramp meaning they do not clash.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5222 Post by SBD » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:04 am

Furyan wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:53 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:

Also it looks like they will cut my beloved Keswick Creek in half. What will happen to it? Will they pump it under the motorway?
Keswick Creek could be incorporated into the James Congdon Bridge. As part of the T2T the Port Road bridge had very large pipes under it.
There are also apparently large pipes under Anzac Highway so that some of the flow can be diverted to Brown Hill Creek. I don't know where excess water would spread if pipes reach capacity in a flood downpour. There don't seem to be open wetlands upstream of South Road, but there must be a bottleneck under the showground, so the maximum flow downstream of there must be known.

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5223 Post by Mr Messy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:48 am

SBD wrote:
Furyan wrote:
1NEEDS2POST wrote:

There are also apparently large pipes under Anzac Highway so that some of the flow can be diverted to Brown Hill Creek. I don't know where excess water would spread if pipes reach capacity in a flood downpour. There don't seem to be open wetlands upstream of South Road, but there must be a bottleneck under the showground, so the maximum flow downstream of there must be known.
Forestville

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5224 Post by SRW » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:05 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:04 am
Furyan wrote:
1NEEDS2POST wrote:

Yeah, there's a bottleneck in Goodwood. It's one of the things the Brown Hill Keswick Creek Stormwater Project will manage. And there's two retention basins being constructed in the South Parklands.
Keep Adelaide Weird

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#5225 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:35 pm

Hopefully they use this new motorway for buses too. Buses from around Happy Valley could be express into the city. Do we know anything about public transport that will use the motorway?

SBD

#5226 Post by SBD » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:13 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:35 pm
Hopefully they use this new motorway for buses too. Buses from around Happy Valley could be express into the city. Do we know anything about public transport that will use the motorway?
I'd imagine it's way too early to be planning bus route changes. Route GA1 now uses the Northern Connector though, so clearly it is possible to use freeways for express routes. Are there express routes along those parts of South Road now?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5227 Post by AG » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:47 am

The 720 series routes use South Road to get from the city to the outer south.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#5228 Post by Saltwater » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:24 pm

You'd certainly hope buses would use parts of the tunnel if it made the journey faster, although I doubt there will be any provision for dedicated transit lanes. In Sydney's Eastern Suburbs I recall taking an X39 express bus from Randwick to the northern end of the CBD, via the Eastern Distributor in about 25 minutes. The journey through Oxford St and the southern end of the city took closer to 40. The same trip on the new trams that cost billions of dollars takes closer to an hour.

claybro

#5229 Post by claybro » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:43 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:13 pm
[quote=1NEEDS2POST post_id=199477 time=<a href="tel:1623405905">1623405905</a> user_id=8190]
I'd imagine it's way too early to be planning bus route changes. Route GA1 now uses the Northern Connector though, so clearly it is possible to use freeways for express routes. Are there express routes along those parts of South Road now?
[/quote]

Buses from around Happy Valley etc should feed into the rail network, instead of clogging up the expressway and roads closer to the CBD. The rail system however needs significant speeding up, as despite electrification and the millions spent is still painfully slow, snd poorly co-ordinated.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#5230 Post by Eurostar » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:46 pm

claybro wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:43 pm
SBD wrote:
[quote=1NEEDS2POST post_id=199477 time=<a href="tel:1623405905">1623405905</a> user_id=8190]
Buses from around Happy Valley etc should feed into the rail network, instead of clogging up the expressway and roads closer to the CBD. The rail system however needs significant speeding up, as despite electrification and the millions spent is still painfully slow, snd poorly co-ordinated.
[/quote]

Good in theory, in reality most people hate transferring especially when the trains only take them to North Terrace unlike the bus which takes them into the City.

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5231 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:49 pm

Eurostar wrote:
claybro wrote:
SBD wrote:
Good in theory, in reality most people hate transferring especially when the trains only take them to North Terrace unlike the bus which takes them into the City.[/quote]A rail tunnel will make so many of Adelaide's public transport options infinitely more viable.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5232 Post by Spotto » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:53 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:46 pm
claybro wrote:
Good in theory, in reality most people hate transferring especially when the trains only take them to North Terrace unlike the bus which takes them into the City.
Which is why completing a city loop tram and underground rail tunnel are just two essential steps for the future network. Both will make the CBD far more accessible to PT commuters with less or more convenient transfers.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#5233 Post by NTRabbit » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:53 pm

SBD wrote:
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:35 pm
No, there are only 3 express buses from Happy Valley, the G20X, G21X, and G22X, and they all express from the new "interchange" under the rail bridge on South Rd at Bedford Park to Whitmore Square via Goodwood Rd, and vice versa. Those three could certainly make use of the Motorway, and cut a decent chunk of time off the trip in peak hours.

The rail connection doesn't really work, on account of the trains going every half an hour, and the two interchanges (the other out front of the hospital used by the non-express buses) being a bit of a walk from the station. It's why there was a backlash against the terrible Liberal bus overhaul that deleted all 3 city routes and replaced them with a service that terminated at the hospital.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#5234 Post by TorrensSA » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:16 am

Flinders Station needs a bus interchange, but as others have said the train drops you off a North Tce, once a city train loop is built most buses from the outer South and North will terminate in the suburbs.

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5235 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:34 pm

The T2D (Torrens to Darlington) project team seem pretty keen to maximise public input into the project.

There are some simple but good links within, such as the Community Value Map.

https://dit.sa.gov.au/nsc/torrens_to_da ... ity_survey

My overall feedback will be:
- Encouraging the design to cater for freight movement and not commuter traffic;
- To consider better ideas for Emerson;
- To ensure corridor use by public and active transport;
- And to retain the TBMs upon project completion for other uses, especially a cross-CBD (or city) rail tunnel.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.