[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#4951 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:09 am

So here's what I think we'll end up with, or thereabouts (thanks Windows Paint).

The tunnel alignments are presumably flexible - would there be any problems with going as the crow flies rather than following South Road?

A couple of the distances for the sections don't check out exactly as reported:
A 2km surface motorway from Gallipoli Underpass to just south of Richmond Road then a lowered motorway under Richmond Road until the beginning of the northern tunnel, just south of Sir Donald Bradman Drive.
and
A 1.1km lowered motorway under West Thebarton Road, stretching to south of the River Torrens and then a surface motorway from the river to the Torrens to Torrens section of the project.
I think these measurements are for the combined portions i.e. the 2km stretch comprises both a surface motorway Gallipoli Underpass AND the lowered section from just south of Richmond Road and the 1.1km stretch comprises the lowered motorway under West Thebarton Road AND the surface road up to the existing T2T.

Presumably the majority of the housing acquisitions will be around the surface/lowered elements near Kurulta Park, Ashford, Everard Park etc?

Stryker
Gold-Member ;)

#4952 Post by Stryker » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:06 pm

NYG wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:35 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:Now we have to hope the Libs don't butcher this and give us two tunnels that are only two lanes wide.

Here's a render from the State Budget Overview.

From the FAQ section:

“How many lanes will the tunnels be when they open to traffic?

This will be determined as we continue to develop the design, update our traffic modelling and engage with key stakeholders. We expect the tunnels to be built for at least two lanes in each direction.”
Geeze I hope not. Those tunnels will be a waste of time if they're only 2 lanes... Sydney's original M5 tunnels are a classic example of not planning for the future and doing the job right in the first place. The whole motorway from Darlington to the Northern Expressway needs to be 3 lanes in both ways otherwise those tunnels are just going to be a massive bottleneck.

I'm also interested to see how this Airport Link fits into to all of this??

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#4953 Post by how good is he » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:22 pm

So Airport Link maybe separate purpose interchanges - Richmond Rd for freight/taxis etc and Sir Donald Bradman Dr - normal passenger cars etc

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#4954 Post by HeapsGood » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:33 pm

will there be any connections with city, say for example an on/off ramp at Anzac highway?
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#4955 Post by aceman » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:51 pm

Stryker wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:06 pm
NYG wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:Now we have to hope the Libs don't butcher this and give us two tunnels that are only two lanes wide.

Here's a render from the State Budget Overview.

From the FAQ section:

This will be determined as we continue to develop the design, update our traffic modelling and engage with key stakeholders. We expect the tunnels to be built for at least two lanes in each direction.”
Geeze I hope not. Those tunnels will be a waste of time if they're only 2 lanes... Sydney's original M5 tunnels are a classic example of not planning for the future and doing the job right in the first place. The whole motorway from Darlington to the Northern Expressway needs to be 3 lanes in both ways otherwise those tunnels are just going to be a massive bottleneck.

with only 2 lanes if there's a serious accident inside the tunnels it will block it off completely even to the point of preventing emergency vehicles from entering.

Stryker
Gold-Member ;)

#4956 Post by Stryker » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:07 pm

aceman wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:51 pm
Stryker wrote:
NYG wrote:

From the FAQ section:

with only 2 lanes if there's a serious accident inside the tunnels it will block it off completely even to the point of preventing emergency vehicles from entering.
Exactly. A serious accident could be chaotic and potentially life threatening in an emergency situation.

The tunnels need to be consistent with the existing 3 lanes of the motorway. Let's just hope the planners of this project follow through with their flashy video.

Llessur2002

#4957 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:43 pm

So by that logic are all two lane tunnels inherently unsafe?

croweater888
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4958 Post by croweater888 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:04 pm

http://hansardpublic.parliament.sa.gov. ... D-10-31302

The Hon. F. PANGALLO (15:14): Can the Treasurer categorically rule out that the government, or a future Liberal government, will not introduce road tolls to help pay for the north-south project, even if it exceeds the $8 billion or $9 billion budget, which the Treasurer today hinted could happen, and that he doesn't get additional funding from the federal government if it does blow out?

The Hon. R.I. LUCAS (Treasurer) (15:14): Yes.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#4959 Post by aceman » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:45 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:43 pm
pretty much, both lanes are hard up against a concrete wall. there's nowhere to go in an accident apart from potentially bouncing off the sides and skidding into the path of vehicles directly behind. once there's broken cars and debris all over the road all traffic will stop immediately behind to render assistance and within seconds there's a complete roadblock. good luck to the ambos and firies trying to get in.

Nort

#4960 Post by Nort » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:09 pm

croweater888 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:04 pm
http://hansardpublic.parliament.sa.gov. ... D-10-31302

The Hon. F. PANGALLO (15:14): Can the Treasurer categorically rule out that the government, or a future Liberal government, will not introduce road tolls to help pay for the north-south project, even if it exceeds the $8 billion or $9 billion budget, which the Treasurer today hinted could happen, and that he doesn't get additional funding from the federal government if it does blow out?

The Hon. R.I. LUCAS (Treasurer) (15:14): Yes.
I fully expect the tunnels to be tolled, and since the surface road will be staying it seems pretty fair tbh.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4961 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:38 pm

Stryker wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:07 pm
aceman wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:51 pm
Stryker wrote:

Exactly. A serious accident could be chaotic and potentially life threatening in an emergency situation.

The tunnels need to be consistent with the existing 3 lanes of the motorway. Let's just hope the planners of this project follow through with their flashy video.
It will be 3x3 lanes. Would be absolute stupid to build anything less.

It's going to be one massively expensive project, though this is so LONG overdue. This will be a huge game changer for Adelaide. The final crucial piece of creating a non stop route from both ends of the city, unlocking billions worth of investment and growth to the state. Focus should also be on connecting and improving critical road links like Cross Road to take freight traffic off Portrush and Hampstead Roads.

Once complete, I think they should ditch the generic "North-South" and rename it after something that represents Adelaide. Maybe the "Kauna Motorway"..... just a suggestion.

Unlike the two half arsed sporting upgrades. This news gives me some faith in the current Liberal Government.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#4962 Post by how good is he » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:53 pm

I am just curious why they wouldn't have just continued the tunnel in the middle as its only some 2-3kms? They could have joined stages 1&2 by tunnel to save a lot of above ground disruption to traffic while its being built (as well as property resumptions etc).

SBD

#4963 Post by SBD » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:32 am

how good is he wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:53 pm
I am just curious why they wouldn't have just continued the tunnel in the middle as its only some 2-3kms? They could have joined stages 1&2 by tunnel to save a lot of above ground disruption to traffic while its being built (as well as property resumptions etc).
I imagine that subterranean interchanges are challenging to build, and challenging to navigate. Perhaps the gap in the middle provides for open-air interchanges, since at least as much width would be needed on the surface anyway.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#4964 Post by cmet » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:33 am

how good is he wrote:I am just curious why they wouldn't have just continued the tunnel in the middle as its only some 2-3kms? They could have joined stages 1&2 by tunnel to save a lot of above ground disruption to traffic while its being built (as well as property resumptions etc).
$

SCF
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4965 Post by SCF » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:51 am

aceman wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:45 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:43 pm
pretty much, both lanes are hard up against a concrete wall. there's nowhere to go in an accident apart from potentially bouncing off the sides and skidding into the path of vehicles directly behind. once there's broken cars and debris all over the road all traffic will stop immediately behind to render assistance and within seconds there's a complete roadblock. good luck to the ambos and firies trying to get in.
I would guess that most accidents that serious would block three lanes. Even if one lane was still able to flow, there would still be an instant road block. People would be passing the incident at a snails pace (for safety reasons and to gawk). The ambos and firies just come in the other way, since there is no or limited traffic coming through.