[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Bacon
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5101 Post by Bacon » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:29 pm

A couple of shots from the pedestrian bridge. (Rotation is corrected when you click on the pic)
5BF9182B-F0D4-4695-9ECB-6810F754BE21.jpeg
58731F13-61C6-483E-8AF3-2FBB4AC61D74.jpeg

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5102 Post by rogue » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:08 pm

Northbound traffic using new bridge over Regency Rd this afternoon

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#5103 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:31 pm

rogue wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:08 pm
Northbound traffic using new bridge over Regency Rd this afternoon
https://youtu.be/6U_Eongr-I4

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5104 Post by rev » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:04 am

Was surprised to see the north bound open last night.
A few bumpy bits, those metal grates or whatever they are that run across the road for example.

The pedestrian bridge at Pym is lit up at night, but just plain lighting. You'd think they would have lit it up green or something to keep with the colour theme of the road bridge.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5105 Post by claybro » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:37 pm

Given that the motorway in this section is not trenched, I was really surprised at the sparse planting along the noise walls or as it appears in the photo. The walls themselves can amplify the noise back, and I would hate to be those houses in the vacinity of those walls. It should have a thick forest of tall trees and undergrowth to dampen noise and filter pollution as well as the walls. Adelaide just seems to be very lazy with roadside/ verge vegetation, almost like they're scared of having to actually maintain something.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5106 Post by aceman » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:22 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:04 am
A few bumpy bits, those metal grates or whatever they are that run across the road for example.

The pedestrian bridge at Pym is lit up at night, but just plain lighting. You'd think they would have lit it up green or something to keep with the colour theme of the road bridge.
do you mean north bound on the overpass over Regency road?

Llessur2002

#5107 Post by Llessur2002 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:09 pm

claybro wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:37 pm
Given that the motorway in this section is not trenched, I was really surprised at the sparse planting along the noise walls or as it appears in the photo. The walls themselves can amplify the noise back, and I would hate to be those houses in the vacinity of those walls. It should have a thick forest of tall trees and undergrowth to dampen noise and filter pollution as well as the walls. Adelaide just seems to be very lazy with roadside/ verge vegetation, almost like they're scared of having to actually maintain something.
I think the lansdscaping is a major failing of this and the T2T sections of the project - not in terms of execution by the contractors but in the design which should have aimed to completely block the view of the noise wall when mature - both to reduce the visual impact and to defer graffiti. What's been done looks half arsed and patchy and I fully expect 50% of it to be dead within 5 years.

At least the R2P section seems to have a fair bit of turf compared to the T2T section which has to make do with vast swathes of crushed gravel which are already covered with weeds.

rev

#5108 Post by rev » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:46 am

aceman wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:22 pm
rev wrote:

Yes. Most of the road surface is smooth, a couple spots weren't. Those metal grate things though that run across the road surface on the bridge on either end. Quite noticeable when you drive over them, usually I've noticed when it's all new they're almost flush with the road surface.

rev

#5109 Post by rev » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:52 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:09 pm
claybro wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:37 pm
I think the lansdscaping is a major failing of this and the T2T sections of the project - not in terms of execution by the contractors but in the design which should have aimed to completely block the view of the noise wall when mature - both to reduce the visual impact and to defer graffiti. What's been done looks half arsed and patchy and I fully expect 50% of it to be dead within 5 years.

At least the R2P section seems to have a fair bit of turf compared to the T2T section which has to make do with vast swathes of crushed gravel which are already covered with weeds.
They can't even address the backlog of road maintenance in the state, let alone all those bridges that need urgent attention, and you guys expect proper landscaping?

Reminder, this is South Australia. We have bigger priorities, like building a $700 million stadium that nobody has asked for because the premier wants a legacy.

SBD

#5110 Post by SBD » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:44 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:46 am
aceman wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:22 pm
rev wrote:

Yes. Most of the road surface is smooth, a couple spots weren't. Those metal grate things though that run across the road surface on the bridge on either end. Quite noticeable when you drive over them, usually I've noticed when it's all new they're almost flush with the road surface.
The metal would be the expansion joints for allowing the bridge to get longer as it heats up and shrink as it cools. It's possible that either or both of the asphalt and the joint do not have their top layers yet so the levels may not be final.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#5111 Post by Hooligan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:07 am

Southbound on R2P was open this morning.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5112 Post by aceman » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:08 am

Hooligan wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:07 am
what's the speed limit on the overpass? I'm assuming it would be low while work is still underway. I live south so I almost rely on this forum to see what's happening out that way.

mrumley02
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5113 Post by mrumley02 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:34 am

aceman wrote:
Hooligan wrote:
what's the speed limit on the overpass? I'm assuming it would be low while work is still underway. I live south so I almost rely on this forum to see what's happening out that way.
Both ways at 40km/h at the moment. Wouldn’t expect to see that lifted for quite a while till they finish works. Probably then raised to 60km/h for any final wearing of the bitumen and then up to the posted speed of 80km/h.
Not too bad traffic flow though despite lower limits (with the exception of peak times of course).

Took me just under an hour from Edwardstown to RAAF Base Edinburgh at 8am this morning.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#5114 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:16 am

I'm assuming now the bridge is (partially) opened they'll reinstate right hand turns at the South Rd/Regency Rd intersection shortly.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#5115 Post by Hooligan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:34 pm

aceman wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:08 am
Hooligan wrote:

40 kmh and only two lanes are open. Just looking at a post on the SA infrastructure facebook page says the speed limit won't reach 80 until late June.

Code: Select all

Signature removed