[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5041 Post by SBD » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:54 pm

kymbosa wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:28 pm
Spotto wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:07 pm
mawsonguy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:33 pm
Bridge spans are in place (courtesy of Adelaide Now)
Time to start counting down! This section is going to be finished this year and the government will still be scratching their heads over the final Torrens to Darlington section, the only section that they've needed to design and build themselves.
Which if they hold out long enough and lose the next election in March 2022, than they would have achieved nothing.

No plans, no design and no idea when it has come to this section besides, announcement of doing nothing.
Anyone would think it might be hard or something - it couldn't be done under a Labor government, and might not get done in the first term of a Liberal one either!

Who would want to be a party leader or roads (shadow-)minister that has to talk up the value of the transport route for people north and south of it at the same time as talking down the disruption to electorates crossed by or separated from the city by the route and assure the rest of us that they aren't spending too much of our money on that which we would rather see spent elsewhere.

Are the Port Augusta and Port Wakefield projects likely to be open before the election?

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5042 Post by Spotto » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:01 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:54 pm
Anyone would think it might be hard or something - it couldn't be done under a Labor government, and might not get done in the first term of a Liberal one either!
When Labor left office they already had the Northern Connector and Darlington Upgrade well underway, Torrens to Torrens was nearing completion, Regency to Pym was in planning, and had long since completed the Southern Expressway duplication, the Superway and the whole Northern Expressway. And that's not including all the other significant transport infrastructure projects they had completed or started during their time in office. To bring them into the discussion of why Torrens to Darlington hasn't been done when they had already completed or started every other section is frankly nonsensical.

Once R2P is mostly complete by the end of this year we'll be approaching the end of the Liberal's current term and still be three more years away from major construction on the final section. This was their major election promise, which they made 2 years before any notable investigation works occurred to test whether their preferred tunnel solution was even viable.

Nort

#5043 Post by Nort » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:22 am

Anyone else feel that the signage around the Salisbury Highway/Port Expressway junctions really needs some work? The signs saying which lane does what appear far too late and it's common to see cars suddenly crossing multiple lanes of traffic as they realise at the last moment they need to be on the other side.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5044 Post by rev » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:48 pm

Spotto wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:01 pm
SBD wrote:
When Labor left office they already had the Northern Connector and Darlington Upgrade well underway, Torrens to Torrens was nearing completion, Regency to Pym was in planning, and had long since completed the Southern Expressway duplication, the Superway and the whole Northern Expressway. And that's not including all the other significant transport infrastructure projects they had completed or started during their time in office. To bring them into the discussion of why Torrens to Darlington hasn't been done when they had already completed or started every other section is frankly nonsensical.

Once R2P is mostly complete by the end of this year we'll be approaching the end of the Liberal's current term and still be three more years away from major construction on the final section. This was their major election promise, which they made 2 years before any notable investigation works occurred to test whether their preferred tunnel solution was even viable.
Labor may have completed alot, but lets be honest, both sides are guilty of doing nothing for decades on this corridor.
Since MATS was abandoned, has either side ever presented a comprehensive plan for the corridor?
Or for a wider network connected to the SEF?

SBD

#5045 Post by SBD » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:38 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:48 pm
Spotto wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:01 pm
SBD wrote:

Labor may have completed alot, but lets be honest, both sides are guilty of doing nothing for decades on this corridor.
Since MATS was abandoned, has either side ever presented a comprehensive plan for the corridor?
Or for a wider network connected to the SEF?
Labor had a "strategy" to complete Noarlunga to Nuriootpa in ten years from about 2013 (I think it was). Unfortunately, it appeared to have been at least two years behind in planning for the remaining bit by the time of the 2018 election.

Which roads get upgraded shouldn't be a partisan issue. There should be a rolling list of major infrastructure upgrades funded and developed regardless of which party is in government at the time.

The only proposal I recall for connecting the SEF and the NSM is the Liberal GlobeLink to link the Monarto area to the Sturt Highway and enter Adelaide from the north. The consultant report that concluded GlobeLink would cost too much for the benefit contained several alternate possibilities. I don't think any party has yet adopted any of those options as future election promises.

ChillyPhilly

#5046 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:08 pm

Labor's Scoping Report is the closest we've come to something of moderate detail.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

EBG

#5047 Post by EBG » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:55 pm

23/1/2021 Some pictures of the recently installed bridge over regency Road taken from the east side of Regency Rd. Work was is progress to build up the ends of the earth ramps to match the bridge deck levels. Please click on pictures for bigger.
Attachments
20210123_soutth rd 1.jpg
20210123_soutth rd 2.jpg

[Shuz]

#5048 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:59 pm

Is it just me or is that a very low bridge? I can't see how a B-double or a interstate coach could fit underneath.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SBD

#5049 Post by SBD » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:47 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:59 pm
Is it just me or is that a very low bridge? I can't see how a B-double or a interstate coach could fit underneath.
I haven't seen it in person yet, but it appears to be high enough not to need "low clearance" warning signs or they would have been installed immediately. Perhaps it is longer than we imagine, so looks lower to be in proportion. The cars facing south on the right side of the image give a hint of scale.

EBG

#5050 Post by EBG » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:23 am

It has sufficient height it is just the camera angle. I was trying to fit as much of the bridge as possible in the picture.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#5051 Post by Pistol » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:54 pm

The landscaping on this stretch really puts T2T to shame.
We will end up with a huge amount of green areas in this section then hit a barren wasteland when you get to Torrens Road.
And they aren’t waiting until completion which is good.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#5052 Post by kymbosa » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:00 am

SBD wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:47 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
I haven't seen it in person yet, but it appears to be high enough not to need "low clearance" warning signs or they would have been installed immediately. Perhaps it is longer than we imagine, so looks lower to be in proportion. The cars facing south on the right side of the image give a hint of scale.
I thought the same when I was out there having a quick look. Shocked to see a bridge that low, compared with what’s just down the road. One extreme to another.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#5053 Post by Hooligan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:07 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
I drove past the other day and thought the same thing. Seems strange considering the superway is ridiculously high.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5054 Post by Norman » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:12 pm

The bridge over Grand Junction Road is higher as it is designated to allow overheight vehicles. I assume there wasn't such a need for Regency Road as it has a different classification.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5055 Post by aceman » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:03 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
the new bridge over Regency road is at a height that allows standard trucks and buses to pass under it. oversized loads have a pre designated route mapped out that allows them to safely negotiate any bridges they need to travel under.