[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5131 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri May 07, 2021 11:35 pm

Regency to Pym (R2P) Site Visit

Friday 14 May 2021
9.00am - 10.00am (Adelaide)
In-person technical event
Maximum capacity: 30

AITPM Members: Free
Non Members: $27.50

Register and read more details here: https://www.aitpm.com.au/email/6dfcd7e7 ... 97e1a3d10b

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#5132 Post by Jaymz » Mon May 10, 2021 3:34 pm

From yesterdays online version of The Advertiser.....

Federal Budget splashes billions on South Australian road projects
Thousands of workers will build kilometres of tunnels for the North-South Corridor, a bypass and other major SA road upgrades to be funded in the budget.

Elizabeth Henson
@Eliz_henson
May 9, 2021 - 10:30PM

The Government is expected to extend the low and middle income tax offset for workers earning less than $126,000.
South Australia will receive a multibillion-dollar cash injection for major infrastructure projects across the state, generating more than 5000 jobs, in Tuesday’s Federal Budget.

The Federal Government has allocated $161.4m towards a Truro bypass and $148m for a second stage of the Augusta Highway duplication.

The final part of the North-South Corridor project will also receive a $2.6bn boost. This funding was previously announced in 2019, but the government has now outlined which part of the project it will go towards.

It will pay the planning, design and construction of about 6km of motorway from Darlington to Anzac Highway.

Construction work on this part of the project is expected to begin in late 2023 and be completed by 2028. About 4000 jobs will be created.

The Truro project will deliver a bypass of the township, east of the Barossa, to improve road safety and productivity of the national road network.

It is expected to create 555 jobs with construction work slated to begin in late 2022 ahead of its anticipated completion in late 2026.

Meanwhile, stage 2 of the Augusta Highway works will duplicate the thoroughfare from Port Wakefield to Lochiel.

The Government is targeting an unemployment rate beginning with a four - down from the most recent figure of 5.6% in March.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said these projects would make South Australian roads safer, improve public transport, reduce travel times and support thousands of jobs.

“From continuing upgrades on the North-South Corridor, to delivering the roads needed for the recovery of Kangaroo Island from devastating bushfires – these projects will support more than 5000 direct and indirect jobs across South Australia,” he said.

“Our record funding commitment is creating jobs, boosting business investment, while securing Australia’s COVID recovery.”

SA Senator and Finance Minister, Simon Birmingham, said the massive cash injection would better connect the state and help South Australians gets home sooner and safer.

“The North-South Corridor is a game-changing infrastructure project for people living across Adelaide, with delivery of the next phase saving time and money for all those travelling to and from Adelaide’s south,” he said.

ChillyPhilly

#5133 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon May 10, 2021 3:42 pm

Imagine if our public transport network got some funding too...
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Patrick_27

#5134 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon May 10, 2021 4:21 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:42 pm
This, and moving the rail freight corridor north of the Adelaide rather than through the south of suburban Adelaide.

I'm not sure how this cash injection aimed at creating jobs to deal with the current recession/fallout of COVID is expected to do anything to better the current situation when the start date of construction for the tunnels is over two years away and it's only for half of the required project with no mention of potential further funding for the other half. By 2028 we should be looking at other key infrastructure such as the aforementioned public transport and a connector between north-south corridor and the S/E Freeway, with the current timeline, we won't be visiting these projects until the mid-2030s at the earliest.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#5135 Post by how good is he » Mon May 10, 2021 5:46 pm

I agree.. they should just keep going and aim to finish the N-S Motorway in the next 5 years. I mean its only 5 kms more not 50 kms. Admittedly it will prob cost another $2.5bn, but you would think with this stop-start piecemeal approach it will cost far more & with record low interest rates both State/Fed. Govts should borrow more and do it sooner rather than later.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5136 Post by Norman » Mon May 10, 2021 5:48 pm

how good is he wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:46 pm
I agree.. they should just keep going and aim to finish the N-S Motorway in the next 5 years. I mean its only 5 kms more not 50 kms. Admittedly it will prob cost another $2.5bn, but you would think with this stop-start piecemeal approach it will cost far more & with record low interest rates both State/Fed. Govts should borrow more and do it sooner rather than later.
They can't plan, design and build a tunnel in 5 years. On the current schedule it should all be finished in 2030.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#5137 Post by Jaymz » Mon May 10, 2021 6:01 pm

how good is he wrote:

As far as I was aware, the State Govt. is to stump up the rest of the money. Now that they know what and how much the Feds are funding, they can work out exactly how much they are up for. You'd imagine it'd be at least 2.5bn that you mentioned above.

SBD

#5138 Post by SBD » Mon May 10, 2021 8:22 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:21 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
This, and moving the rail freight corridor north of the Adelaide rather than through the south of suburban Adelaide.

I'm not sure how this cash injection aimed at creating jobs to deal with the current recession/fallout of COVID is expected to do anything to better the current situation when the start date of construction for the tunnels is over two years away and it's only for half of the required project with no mention of potential further funding for the other half. By 2028 we should be looking at other key infrastructure such as the aforementioned public transport and a connector between north-south corridor and the S/E Freeway, with the current timeline, we won't be visiting these projects until the mid-2030s at the earliest.
"start date of construction for the tunnels is over two years away" is unlikely to be the first progress payment on the contract.

Some of the money will flow overseas if nobody builds TBMs in Australia, but there will also be money spent in Australia in those early stages of the project before construction, too.

I'm pleased to see a Truro bypass also planned. The planning stages for that could also include the early design of a modern railway over the ranges in that area. The design that might have been done to extend the Truro Railway Line to Sedan in the 1910s is probably no longer suitable, particularly since it passes through the town.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5139 Post by SRW » Mon May 10, 2021 9:09 pm

It's frustrating how many outlets these days just recycle government press releases. This is mostly renouncements from the previous two budgets with piss all new money and a timeframe that extends out to 10 years.

And SA continues to be underrepresented presumably because of passivity and inaction from the state. SA Labor was pretty plodding with the forward planning, but the SA Libs supposed answer to that with Infrastructure SA has also seemingly come to naught.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5140 Post by Spotto » Mon May 10, 2021 9:32 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:22 pm
I'm pleased to see a Truro bypass also planned. The planning stages for that could also include the early design of a modern railway over the ranges in that area. The design that might have been done to extend the Truro Railway Line to Sedan in the 1910s is probably no longer suitable, particularly since it passes through the town.
How would proposals from the early 1900s or the quashed GlobeLink be relevant to the road bypass?

In any case I wouldn't be surprised if the Sturt Highway diverges onto part of the old rail corridor (widened, obviously) near Kapunda-Truro Road which would point it in the right direction to continue around the town to the north of Truro Oval where it would then continue east and meet back up with the Sturt Highway.

Nort

#5141 Post by Nort » Tue May 11, 2021 9:08 am

how good is he wrote:
It seems likely that the same tunneling equipment used for the section south of Anzac highway will be used for the second tunnel north of it.

It's going to be frustrating waiting a decade for this all to be finished (especially since the Thebarton section of South Road is going to be a final bottleneck so will see lots of traffic jams in the next few years) but one upside of a long multi-tunnel operation is that we will be building up a good local industry and skill base around it that could make projects like a cross-city rail tunnel more feasible.

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

#5142 Post by Vasco » Wed May 12, 2021 1:17 am

SA allocated only two-thirds of promised $3.2bn for major road projects in Federal Budget

SA was promised $3.2bn in major road project funding. Just two-thirds of it is actually in the Federal Budget – and only $130m this year.
Elizabeth Henson
May 11, 2021 - 9:01PM
THE ADVERTISER

Government commits further $15b national infrastructure programs
Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has announced a further $15 billion in additional infrastructure commitments will be added to the government's 10-year, $110 billion national…
Only two-thirds of South Australia’s promised $3.2bn for major infrastructure projects, including the next part of the North-South Corridor, has been allocated over the next four years in the Federal Budget.

And just $130.8m is allocated in the 2021/22 budget.

Budget papers reveal $2.1bn of the pledged cash splash has been earmarked within the Federal Government’s forward estimates, which take in the next financial year to 2024/25, inclusive.

It is unclear when the remaining $1.1bn will be handed over.

Overall, SA has been promised $10.7bn for transport infrastructure, from smaller local road upgrades to nationally significant thoroughfare projects, over the coming years.

The budget papers also show the bulk of the $3.2bn in major infrastructure funding is not set to start flowing through until 2023/24.

In 2021/22, only $130.8m will be paid out while $341.6m has been allocated for 2022/23.

In the following two years, $823.6m and $807m will be distributed, respectively.

The importance of the North-South Corridor was highlighted in Treasurer Josh Frydenberg’s budget speech on Tuesday evening when the project was the first he named while spruiking the Federal Government’s infrastructure spend.

“(We’re) building the infrastructure our economy needs for the future with our 10-year, $110 billion investment pipeline,” he said.

“Tonight we make $15 billion in additional infrastructure commitments including for the North-South Corridor in South Australia.”

The next stage of the North-South Corridor project, which is expected to create about 4000 jobs, has been allocated $2.6bn in the budget – a re-announcement of funding from 2019.

It will pay for planning, design and construction work on a 6km motorway from Darlington to Anzac Highway.

This work will also include about 4km of tunnels.

However, construction work will not begin until late 2023.

As The Advertiser reported on Monday, the Civil Contractors Federation SA raised concerns about the time lag between government budget announcements and construction start dates.

“Far too much time passes between these events,” Federation chief executive Rebecca Pickering said.

“There needs to be greater accountability of state government and agencies to minimise this time and get on with construction.”

The Opposition said “we need construction work underway” given SA has the worst unemployment rate in the nation.

The Advertiser reported on Sunday that as part of the $3.2bn promised for major SA infrastructure projects, $161.6m will go towards a Truro bypass; $148m will be directed into stage two of the Augusta Highway duplication; and an extra $64m will be injected into the Strzelecki Track upgrade, bringing the Federal Government’s total funding for the outback project to $164m.

Other transport infrastructure funding for SA includes $3.6bn for nationally significant road projects; $374.2m to tackle urban congestion; $155.8 for the Adelaide City Deal; $210.8m for local roads and community infrastructure; and $222m to improve access routes to essential services, markets and employment opportunities.

SA will also receive $19.5m for bridge upgrades and $21.6m to improve safety and productivity of heavy vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waewick

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5143 Post by Waewick » Wed May 12, 2021 6:09 am

SBD wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:

I am hoping with the Truro bypass this means taking the dual lane from Nuriootpa through to where the bypass finishes.

I mean surely the bypass wouldn't be single carriage

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5144 Post by Norman » Wed May 12, 2021 7:20 am

Waewick wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:09 am
SBD wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:

I am hoping with the Truro bypass this means taking the dual lane from Nuriootpa through to where the bypass finishes.

I mean surely the bypass wouldn't be single carriage

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
The Penola Bypass is only one lane in each direction, so it could well be that here as well. However, the road through Truro does carry 7,200 vehicles per day, which is getting close to the threshold of needing 2 lanes in each direction.

rhino

#5145 Post by rhino » Wed May 12, 2021 8:26 am

Norman wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:20 am
The Penola Bypass is only one lane in each direction, so it could well be that here as well. However, the road through Truro does carry 7,200 vehicles per day, which is getting close to the threshold of needing 2 lanes in each direction.
The Truro bypass means that once you leave Adelaide, you don't go through another town until Renmark.

Stage 2 of the Augusta Highway redevelopment means that between Adelaide and Port Augusta, the only town you will travel through will be Port Wakefield.

But on the Dukes Highway to Melbourne, you will still have to slow down (considerably) for Tailem Bend, Coomandook, Coonalpyn, Tintinara, and Keith. And from Tailem Bend on it's single lane, with occasional passing lanes. Surely there are morer than 7200 vehicles a day on this route?
cheers,
Rhino