[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3706 Post by SBD » Mon May 20, 2019 4:19 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:04 pm
SBD wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:27 am
how good is he wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:59 pm
Waiting for the Jimmy Barnes Highway...
Perhaps that should be a new name for Philip Highway/Salisbury Highway/Port River Expressway - the road that links his birthplace to the Largs Pier Hotel where he performed.

Only one of the list above is named for a woman. We have many more notable women to consider.
We're building a road from Largs Bay to Glasgow?
:wallbash: Oops - he moved to Elizabeth when he was five. Thanks for the correction. Was I right that he started performing at the Largs Pier Hotel?

rhino

#3707 Post by rhino » Wed May 22, 2019 10:11 am

SBD wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:19 pm
:wallbash: Oops - he moved to Elizabeth when he was five. Thanks for the correction. Was I right that he started performing at the Largs Pier Hotel?
He didn't start there, but it was certainly a major factor in the growth of the band.
cheers,
Rhino

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3708 Post by Eurostar » Wed May 22, 2019 7:04 pm

Waewick

#3709 Post by Waewick » Fri May 24, 2019 7:48 am

So all the money has been promised now, surely the Libs will get their planning to to hurry up and get the projects finalised with Infrastructure Australia?

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#3710 Post by Saltwater » Fri May 24, 2019 11:24 am

It will be a case of hurry up and wait, as in get the plans finalised, but then delay publishing them until the next state or federal election for maximum impact

SBD

#3711 Post by SBD » Sat May 25, 2019 6:17 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:24 am
It will be a case of hurry up and wait, as in get the plans finalised, but then delay publishing them until the next state or federal election for maximum impact
Both Darlington and Northern Connector are expected to be finished by the end of this year. Regency Road overpass and a few other unrelated intersection upgrades have been announced, but it seems to me that there will need to be an announcement for another chunk of the main motorway later this year. It can't all wait until 2021-2022 to start.

Waewick

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3712 Post by Waewick » Sat May 25, 2019 7:58 pm

SBD wrote:
Saltwater wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:24 am
Both Darlington and Northern Connector are expected to be finished by the end of this year. Regency Road overpass and a few other unrelated intersection upgrades have been announced, but it seems to me that there will need to be an announcement for another chunk of the main motorway later this year. It can't all wait until 2021-2022 to start.
Even if they were looking for political impact, the Libs in SA promised to keep it moving, they need work actually underway by the next election, not promised.

Waewick

[U/C] [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3713 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:25 pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... f28b564fe8

SA News
Government blames earlier planning works for Darlington motorway collapse, which Opposition disputes
Adam Langenberg, Political reporter, The Advertiser
June 4, 2019 7:30pm
Subscriber only

Rain causes Darlington to crumble
Darlington: second concrete chunk crumbles
Infrastructure Minister backs Darlington probe
Darlington photos show no reinforcing on concrete wall

The wall collapse on the Darlington motorway has been blamed on issues that should have been detected during the planning process, but South Australians are no closer to knowing when they can drive on the upgraded road.

Infrastructure Minister Stephan Knoll said his early advice was that three problems had caused the collapse of the retaining wall, including imperfections in the soil, a trench caused by the removal of an SA Water mains pipe and a leaking water source.
The collapsed wall at the Darlington motorway upgrade. Picture: AAP / David Mariuz

He said the problems should have been fixed during the planning phase in 2016, when Labor was in power.

Mr Knoll is yet to receive an interim report from independent contractor Aurecon about the faults, but said he was upholding his promise to provide regular updates.

“It is now very clear that there are deficiencies in the way this project was put together,” he said.
MORE IN news
2019-04-22 11_18_59-Jessica Trengove @jess_tren • Instagram photos and videos.png
The one thing our pregnant star can’t do other mums-to-be can
The one thing our pregnant star can’t do other mums-to-be can
Eating Japanese Prawn tempura with handmade soba soup noodles
Noodle bar worker paid just $10 an hour
Noodle bar worker paid just $10 an hour

“These issues should have been identified and rectification should have happened as part of the design and the normal course of this project being delivered.”

He said Labor infrastructure spokesman Tom Koutsantonis had serious questions to answer on behalf of the former Labor government about the project’s design.
Infrastructure Minister Stephan Knoll. Picture: Matt Loxton
Labor infrastructure spokesman Tom Koutsantonis. Picture: Tricia Watkinson

Part of the wall on a section of the $620 million project collapsed early last month.

Mr Knoll said he was still not able to provide a time frame about when Aurecon would supply its draft report, when the issues causing the wall to collapse would be fixed or when the road would be open to motorists.

“Labor’s mess will be fixed and this road will be opened so South Australians can get the road they’ve paid for and the one that’s going to help them get to and from work quicker,” he said.

Mr Knoll said the contractor had so far met costs associated with fixing the wall and he expected that to continue.

Traffic restrictions along one of Adelaide’s busiest motorways will remain in place, he said.

Mr Koutsantonis said Mr Knoll was “desperately trying to shirk responsibility”.

He said the bulk of construction had taken place during Mr Knoll’s leadership and the faults should have been picked up in monthly reports by an independent verifier.

He called on Mr Knoll to release the Aurecon report before “making accusations” about the incident.
I don't agree with the way mr knoll is handling this. But poor old Tom needs to just stay silent, there is no way a verifier is going to have been able to pick up something like this.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#3714 Post by baytram366 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:20 am

I hate the blame game also.
But couldn't they just use ground covers and shrubs or small trees to hold the dirt together at this locations or is the slope too steep and concrete is the only solution?
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Llessur2002

#3715 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:37 am

I can't quite tell what the set up is here - is there a piled wall behind the retained slopes, or is this shotcreted wall the only thing supporting the surface road above?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3716 Post by AG » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:56 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:37 am
I can't quite tell what the set up is here - is there a piled wall behind the retained slopes, or is this shotcreted wall the only thing supporting the surface road above?
From what I can tell, the wall in question is an unreinforced shotcrete sloped wall which relies on gravity (i.e. it's own weight) to stay in place.

Llessur2002

#3717 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:33 am

AG wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:56 am
Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:37 am
From what I can tell, the wall in question is an unreinforced shotcrete sloped wall which relies on gravity (i.e. it's own weight) to stay in place.
But surely the surface road is retained by piles and not just this sloped wall?

claybro

#3718 Post by claybro » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:32 pm

Waewick wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:25 pm
I don't agree with the way mr knoll is handling this. But poor old Tom needs to just stay silent, there is no way a verifier is going to have been able to pick up something like this.
The blame game really is a sad indictment of Australian politics. Governments pay experts to design and construct infrastructure. If someone along the process has stuffed up, either in engineering, or construction, they should be held accountable. How was Koutsantonis or Knoll for that matter supposed to know the engineering requirements of the embankment in question, they are only politicians after all. It is ridiculous for either to lay blame on the other. However-how it is handled after the failure has occurred is what is in question now, and that is very much in Mr Knowles court.- so just shut up and get on with the enquiry.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#3719 Post by kymbosa » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:19 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:32 pm
Waewick wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:25 pm
The blame game really is a sad indictment of Australian politics. Governments pay experts to design and construct infrastructure. If someone along the process has stuffed up, either in engineering, or construction, they should be held accountable. How was Koutsantonis or Knoll for that matter supposed to know the engineering requirements of the embankment in question, they are only politicians after all. It is ridiculous for either to lay blame on the other. However-how it is handled after the failure has occurred is what is in question now, and that is very much in Mr Knowles court.- so just shut up and get on with the enquiry.
Couldn’t have said it better! 100% agree.

The site has had limited work on it for the last month. In the last 24 hours, they have been back on site finishing off laying road surface at the northern end around the 2nd bridge.

And entrance to the Sexy at the southern end of the project.

Painting has been taking place on the bridges, and signs posts and other small jobs now taking pride and place along the lower deck.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#3720 Post by Hooligan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:22 pm

So is Mr Knoll going to be actively involved in the re engineering of the concrete walls? Seeing as that is apparently a politicians job?

I bloody well hope not.

Code: Select all

Signature removed