News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
how good is he
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2356 Post by how good is he » Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Should they leave room now (for say 20+ years time) for a direct express underground train to/from the cbd?

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2357 Post by TrebleSketch » Tue May 21, 2019 11:40 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 pm
Should they leave room now (for say 20+ years time) for a direct express underground train to/from the cbd?
Yes, future planning would always be good! I personally don't see this completed until the City Train Loop is completed, or maybe even eventually this may be part of a West-East underground train line?

All this is probably 20-40 years away if population growth either stays the same or starts to increase with the growth of new and potential local industries (space, advanced manufacturing, electric vehicles, and more). The next few years could be pivotal for the future of Adelaide!

claybro wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:10 pm
Great find Rev. Good news re the Vickers aircraft relocation and a second entrance also good, provided Richmond road is upgraded and landscaped as a decent entry avenue to the CBD. Makes me wonder though.. have they mothballed the other freight airport idea?
Regarding Freight Airport/GlobeLink.

I don't think so, DPTI still has the GlobeLink page up with the potential of more information being released around mid-year (maybe H2 2019, because ofc there could be delays). So they are currently working through the first 2 out of 4 stages, "Problem/opportunity identification and assessment" and "Options development, assessment and shortlisting".

Before Stage 3, which will be when they work on the "Master Plan and Business Case Development". This whole project might start to be delivered before the State Liberals finish their current term, maybe.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2358 Post by rev » Tue May 21, 2019 11:50 pm

claybro wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:10 pm
provided Richmond road is upgraded and landscaped as a decent entry avenue to the CBD. Makes me wonder though..
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:52 pm
Opening a Richmond Road entrance would be great. I wonder if this can include a busway.
It's going to be interesting how they are going to work it, where will it run to. I guess one option would be to turn north before the security road and follow it and come out near the hotel somewhere?
Will it only be used by taxis and freight vehicles? I doubt they'd have any measures in place to stop regular vehicles.
Makes sense though for freight vehicles, with the NS motorway straight up Richmond road. By the time they do this or finish this, that section of the motorway should be finished or nearing completion.
edit - i should really read the whole article I'm posting :lol: :wallbash:

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2359 Post by how good is he » Wed May 22, 2019 12:35 am

Maybe they plan to tunnel under the runways! My estimate is it’s only 1km from the end of Richmond Rd to the other side of the terminal (the old airport area).

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#2360 Post by Listy » Wed May 22, 2019 10:58 am

how good is he wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:35 am
Maybe they plan to tunnel under the runways! My estimate is it’s only 1km from the end of Richmond Rd to the other side of the terminal (the old airport area).
The 2009 & 2014 Airport master plans show the planned Richmond Rd entrance - it involves a new roundabout built near the end of Richmond Rd, with Taxis entering the airport & travelling north along a new road following the inside of the airport boundary (roughly following the stormwater drain) and then west around to the existing roundabout at the main entrance. Meanwhile trucks would continue west to the very end of Richmond Rd & a new freight terminal would be built just west of the existing DHL warehouse.
The airport has been twiddling their thumbs about this new entrance for over 10 years, but it might now happen very quickly as I wouldn't be surprised if the airport corporation is quietly doing everything they possibly can to make sure the Globelink plan is umm, permanently grounded.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2361 Post by SBD » Wed May 22, 2019 4:19 pm

Listy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:58 am
... I wouldn't be surprised if the airport corporation is quietly doing everything they possibly can to make sure the Globelink plan is umm, permanently grounded.
Adelaide Airport Limited seems to be owned by a bunch of superannuation and investment companies. If the state government decides there is sufficient need and interest in having an airport at Monarto, I imagine that AAL (who already operates Parafield as well as Adelaide) might be in a position and interested to expand, rather than compete.

Most of the state's sea ports are all operated by the one company. It would be up to the government to consider the efficiency benefit of AAL running it versus the benefit of market competition.

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

#2362 Post by Vasco » Wed May 22, 2019 11:11 pm

Would be good to see something done about an expansion of the Marion Rd / SDB Drv intersection also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#2363 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Thu May 23, 2019 2:13 pm

Is the airport paying the council rates now? Years ago, there was a stoush because the airport wasn't paying any rates.

The airport is on Commonwealth land, and Commonwealth land typically doesn't pay rates to the local council. However, as part of the lease agreement between the federal government and the private owners of the airport, the airport is obliged to pay "rates equivalent" to the council.

This agreement is between the federal government and the airport, and since the federal government doesn't see that money, they don't care to enforce it. So most of the privatised airports around the country just stiff the councils.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2364 Post by how good is he » Thu May 23, 2019 5:07 pm

It would be interesting to know when the private operators bought the leases over the land from the federal Govt. for hundreds of millions, if the contracts said they could/would be liable for council rates [or any other rates/levies] if charged.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2365 Post by how good is he » Thu May 23, 2019 5:07 pm

It would be interesting to know when the private operators bought the leases over the land from the federal Govt. for hundreds of millions, if the contracts said they could/would be liable for council rates [or any other rates/levies] if charged.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#2366 Post by Maximus » Fri May 24, 2019 3:33 pm

All of the privatised airports are obliged to make "ex gratia" payments in lieu of rates and land tax. This isn't usually problematic, but occasionally has been the subject of dispute - most notably at Launceston Airport. In that case, an independent valuer was brought in to determine a reasonable rates payment, which the airport subsequently paid, but the local council is still fighting the decision.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#2367 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Fri May 24, 2019 7:24 pm

Maximus wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:33 pm
All of the privatised airports are obliged to make "ex gratia" payments in lieu of rates and land tax. This isn't usually problematic, but occasionally has been the subject of dispute - most notably at Launceston Airport. In that case, an independent valuer was brought in to determine a reasonable rates payment, which the airport subsequently paid, but the local council is still fighting the decision.
Adelaide Airport is paying something, my mistake. I've found this old article where the council is paid one eighth of what a comparable business would pay. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2006-04-29/ ... ow/1741562

Has anything changed since then?

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#2368 Post by Spotto » Fri May 24, 2019 9:27 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:19 pm
Listy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:58 am
... I wouldn't be surprised if the airport corporation is quietly doing everything they possibly can to make sure the Globelink plan is umm, permanently grounded.
Adelaide Airport Limited seems to be owned by a bunch of superannuation and investment companies. If the state government decides there is sufficient need and interest in having an airport at Monarto, I imagine that AAL (who already operates Parafield as well as Adelaide) might be in a position and interested to expand, rather than compete.

Most of the state's sea ports are all operated by the one company. It would be up to the government to consider the efficiency benefit of AAL running it versus the benefit of market competition.
If a Monarto Airport ever, ahem, "took off", and assuming the proposals of an intercity fast train project went ahead (corridor would also replace the current freight line) aligned to SEF with trains to Murray Bridge in an estimated 30-45min, could a Monarto Airport for freight AND passengers replace Adelaide Airport as our primary airport, similar to Tullamarine replacing Essendon?

Current drive time from Adelaide CBD to the former Monarto South station can vary 45-60 min depending on peak traffic; the SEF drive from Crafers to Monarto South averages only 30 min. Drive from Melbourne CBD to Airport via Citylink Tollway and Tullamarine Freeway averages 20-30 min. Assuming the project is feasible and already funded, if the train runs from Adelaide-Mitcham express, a tunnel and overpass system up to Crafers (no stop), then stopping only at Bridgewater, Hahndorf, Mount Barker then alternating trains branch to Airport and Murray Bridge. Including the benefit of not having to drive, how attractive does everybody reckon would that be?

Just curious as a thought experiment.
Last edited by Spotto on Sat May 25, 2019 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2369 Post by how good is he » Fri May 24, 2019 10:18 pm

I can’t see it happening for passengers .. it’s just too far away with our relatively small population & amount of flights. The time to travel there/back won’t justify it. I think it will be hard enough getting the business model to justify the $1bn-$2bn spend. Can I ask the forum, why do you think freight companies will want to go there anyway?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2370 Post by SRW » Sat May 25, 2019 12:00 am

Spotto wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:27 pm
how attractive does everybody reckon would that be?
Not at all.
Keep Adelaide Weird