News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#1951 Post by rubberman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:45 pm

PeFe wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:13 pm
I have been to Prague, and I do not remember the trams being particularly fast. Not been to Budapest.
How many cars are on the roads of Prague and Budapest have compared to Sydney?
Sure 1940's trams could whiz along Sydney streets........because safety standards were different and there were virtually no cars ( compared to modern Sydney)
Building costs reflect each society, we live in a high wage, high standard of living country with high safety standards.
I do not disagree that the new Sydney tram line could have been built at a slightly lower cost but this new cliche that all transport projects are "gold plated" is really tiresome, especially when you provide no details on how you would actually speed up the current Sydney tram.
Lol! Ok, here's a specific example of how one could speed up Sydney's trams right now. Most of the existing line is on its own right of way. On an old rail line. So. Step 1, when the last passenger is on, door closes, accelerate to full speed, keep going at full speed till it's time to brake, apply the brake, open the door, rinse and repeat. Compare with the present. Last passenger is on, wait, accelerate to half speed, coast a bit, apply the brake, open door, rinse and repeat. See the SPECIFIC DETAILED difference?

As for comparing standards, the Swiss build trams and tramways cheaper, they have a higher cost of living, a good, if not better standard of living. The other cities are required to conform to EU Standards. Long gone are the days when we could claim our safety or technical standards are better.

Finally, the gold plating. All you have to do is look at the various official pictures of the construction, then wander down North Terrace right now. Look at what's in the ground right here, look at the Sydney images on your mobile phone, then compare them. The Sydney Citadis are longer, and coupled, but that's it. Either Adelaide's tracks are inadequate and are going to crumble to bits when the Citadis are running, OR Sydney's track is gold plated with palladium and platinum inlays. One or the other. All you have to do is use your eyes and compare what's going on right in front of them.

Edit. Plus "slightly lower cost". Yikes! Adelaide is building 1kM of track for $80m, including a junction and trams along a boulevarde about the same width as George St. Sydney is building 13kM, with very little in the way of special work, and lots of track in areas of less difficulty (eg the race course and showground where trams used to run) for $200m per kilometre! $80m for a short section with all the diseconomies of small scale vs $200m. And that's "slightly lower"? Riiiiiight!

bits
Legendary Member!

#1952 Post by bits » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:28 pm

Could have sworn not that long ago in this thread I was reading that the Adelaide tram network was gold plated with over engineered overhead sytstems etc.

Now Adelaide is being referred to as the cheap overhead and it is Sydney that is gold plated.

Most of the reponses from rubberman begs the question.

rubberman

#1953 Post by rubberman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:26 pm

bits wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:28 pm
Could have sworn not that long ago in this thread I was reading that the Adelaide tram network was gold plated with over engineered overhead sytstems etc.

Now Adelaide is being referred to as the cheap overhead and it is Sydney that is gold plated.

Most of the reponses from rubberman begs the question.
Ok, how about the concept that just because Adelaide is better than Sydney doesn't make it perfect?

How about the concept that in looking at the possibility of installing what amounts to a whole new system, Adelaide can aspire to doing a world class job without going overboard?

You know, like the site says, we could be "sensational Adelaide"?

That means doing a good job for a good price, having good trams and track, without paying through the nose for it?

It means getting our knowledge base up to speed so we aren't conned by the sellers of gadget-bahns and unnecessary bs. It means Planning.

Is that really such a hard concept?

bits
Legendary Member!

#1954 Post by bits » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:29 am

rubberman wrote: Ok, how about the concept that just because Adelaide is better than Sydney doesn't make it perfect?
So Sydney is over engineered over engineered gold plating?

I need to see this Sydney overhead, it must be like 4 power lines per tram!Image

rubberman

#1955 Post by rubberman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:10 am

Head over to Trams Down Under, where there are lots of posts with images and comments. Have a look at the images and make up your own mind. There's also a similar Eurotrams group too, where you can see images of cities with much bigger public transport tasks than Sydney. I'm not trying to baffle anyone with bs, merely asking people to believe their own eyes.

http://tdu.to/messages.aspx

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1956 Post by Eurostar » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:31 am

The average tram passenger just wants to get from origin to destination and have a smooth ride. The bombardier flexity i had yesterday was rough on the Port Road section compared to the Alstom Citadis which are smooth.

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#1957 Post by victorious80 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:39 am

interesting discussions here. to assist in the discussions, here are a few facts based on experience working on light (and heavy) rail construction (as opposed to reading websites) that will impact cost of projects.

- cost of light rail (and heavy rail) per km does not necessarily decrease with increase in line length. when you get to a certain length you need additional traction power infrastructure to power the trams ($$$) - voltage drops off with distance

- when you get to a certain track length you may need stabling yards to facilitate operation of the trams ($$$)

- a major cost of infrastructure projects (including light rail) is service relocations. you may be lucky with one project that has minimal services under the proposed rail. then the next project may be the same length and have major water, gas or high voltage services and the project costs twice as much (particularly if service authorities are privatised and may not have the project's best interest in mind)

- cost of the project will be significantly impacted by community / business expectations. if the project is in a heavily congested / trafficked area, works may only be acceptable at night. this will significantly increase costs, as productivity is lower at night due to time required to setup each night and pack up and reinstate for traffic in the morning. if works can be done 24/7, productivity is significantly increased, and costs are decreased. however the community may not appreciate 24/7 construction!

anyway, these are some of the reasons why cost comparisons can be difficult. there are so many variables. this is also what makes these projects so enjoyable to work on!

rubberman

#1958 Post by rubberman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:51 pm

victorious80 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:39 am
interesting discussions here. to assist in the discussions, here are a few facts based on experience working on light (and heavy) rail construction (as opposed to reading websites) that will impact cost of projects.

- cost of light rail (and heavy rail) per km does not necessarily decrease with increase in line length. when you get to a certain length you need additional traction power infrastructure to power the trams ($$$) - voltage drops off with distance

- when you get to a certain track length you may need stabling yards to facilitate operation of the trams ($$$)

- a major cost of infrastructure projects (including light rail) is service relocations. you may be lucky with one project that has minimal services under the proposed rail. then the next project may be the same length and have major water, gas or high voltage services and the project costs twice as much (particularly if service authorities are privatised and may not have the project's best interest in mind)

- cost of the project will be significantly impacted by community / business expectations. if the project is in a heavily congested / trafficked area, works may only be acceptable at night. this will significantly increase costs, as productivity is lower at night due to time required to setup each night and pack up and reinstate for traffic in the morning. if works can be done 24/7, productivity is significantly increased, and costs are decreased. however the community may not appreciate 24/7 construction!

anyway, these are some of the reasons why cost comparisons can be difficult. there are so many variables. this is also what makes these projects so enjoyable to work on!
Thanks for the basic run down. If you were to bring this up on the site I referenced, I am sure you would be able to flesh that out a lot. Many there have worked in the industry for years, and there's a big range of people from operational staff, through professional engineers and planners.

I don’t think any of them would be surprised at your list. I think any project manager comes across that sort of combination of issues after a while.

The problem with the Sydney project is that it is 2.5-3 TIMES more expensive than, say, Adelaide. Most project managers would not bat an eyelid at say 25% variation from similar projects worldwide after allowing for cost of living variations. However, at that large a multiple, a simple listing of factors would not impress at all.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1959 Post by timtam20292 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Its been reported in the news tonight that cracks have already occurred in the concrete that is part of the extension. The state government says its nothing to worry about. What does everyone think?

Llessur2002

#1960 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:16 pm

timtam20292 wrote:Its been reported in the news tonight that cracks have already occurred in the concrete that is part of the extension. The state government says its nothing to worry about. What does everyone think?
Hairline cracks in concrete with loads of steel reo in? A non-story, just like when they tried to whip up hysteria over the hairline cracks in the concrete at Henley Square...

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1961 Post by timtam20292 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:26 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:16 pm
timtam20292 wrote:Its been reported in the news tonight that cracks have already occurred in the concrete that is part of the extension. The state government says its nothing to worry about. What does everyone think?
Hairline cracks in concrete with loads of steel reo in? A non-story, just like when they tried to whip up hysteria over the hairline cracks in the concrete at Henley Square...
Yeah I agree, typical hysteria :roll:

rubberman

#1962 Post by rubberman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:41 pm

20171105_142533_resized.jpg
View toward the City Bridge
20171105_142533_resized.jpg (270.36 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
20171105_142334_resized.jpg
Ski slope
20171105_142334_resized.jpg (399.41 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
The first image needs no explanation.

However, the second shows that the western track is about 250mm lower than the eastern track just north of the King Wm/Nth Tce intersection. I'm struggling to see why. There might be a slight cross grade in the intersection, but nothing like this. Has anyone got an idea of what's going on?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1963 Post by Norman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:54 pm

rubberman wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:41 pm
20171105_142533_resized.jpg20171105_142334_resized.jpg

However, the second shows that the western track is about 250mm lower than the eastern track just north of the King Wm/Nth Tce intersection. I'm struggling to see why. There might be a slight cross grade in the intersection, but nothing like this. Has anyone got an idea of what's going on?
Probably because the eastern track has the curve left into North Terrace to deal with, so it needs to level up from the grade earlier than the western side, which has no immediate curve from North Terrace.

rubberman

#1964 Post by rubberman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:56 pm

Norman wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:54 pm
rubberman wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:41 pm
20171105_142533_resized.jpg20171105_142334_resized.jpg

Probably because the eastern track has the curve left into North Terrace to deal with, so it needs to level up from the grade earlier than the western side, which has no immediate curve from North Terrace.
I had not thought that would be necessary, given that intersection had had a full grand union without any obvious similar issues. However, with a bit of searching, I came up with an article that suggests that Citadis need a much bigger turning circle than other trams. So, if that's the case, then the curve has to start further back. Of itself, that wouldn't be a problem, but it would make the carriage way for motor vehicles a bit odd looking.

I attach a link for the article I read.

www.historyworks.com.au/1206screen4.pdf

rubberman

#1965 Post by rubberman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:55 pm

For those that missed it, this was on reddit. Posted there by u/SwissArmyBumpkin

https://i.redd.it/msdknnww4wxz.jpg