News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Kasey771
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#2686 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:24 pm

So no actual commitment to build more tramlines? Just further ‘studies’ sounds like bs to me. They could commission endless studies and never actually get around to expanding the network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2687 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:36 pm

So not so much a plan, just a map with some coloured lines on it and a thinly veiled suggestion that they'll just use buses instead.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2688 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:37 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:So not so much a plan, just a map with some coloured lines on it and a thinly veiled suggestion that they'll just use buses instead.
+1 Doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence does it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Nathan

#2689 Post by Nathan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:44 pm

So four different routes when it could easily be two? Simplifying things my arse. And doing the whole right turn thing for what would only be a part time service? That's just idiocy.

I don't understand why they need to categorically rule out an airport line, and establishing a new SA public transport authority. Like the riverbank authority, they seem to like the idea of coming in and scrapping things rather than working with the people already working on these things and working with them to fix problems and improve shortcomings.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#2690 Post by adelaide transport » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Yes we really need to separate the Public Transport sector from DPTI,who under the "leadership" of Michael Deegan aren't interested or proactive on Public Transport.
A new Public Transport Authority should have the management,manpower and budget to run our Trams,Trains and Buses with sufficient funds to ensure we have an improved Public Transport System
With Tenders being called late this year for contractors to take over the Bus operation from 1/7/2019(including Light-City Buses aka Broadspectrum) pulling the plug on 30/06/2019, and possible changes to contract areas,this would be the perfect time to separate Public Transport from DPTI !

Waewick

#2691 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:26 pm

Why not just make the loop?

I think people underestimate how unpopular the tram to Norwood is. ( well i guess it should be obvious given the Libs canned it).

I can only assume tram to North Adelaide has some interest?

Llessur2002

#2692 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:28 pm

I'm genuinely confused why someone living in a suburb with no public transport other than buses wouldn't be over the moon at the prospect of a tram line directly to the CBD.

If support really is that low then it says something pretty special about the residents of Norwood...

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2693 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:31 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:28 pm
I'm genuinely confused why someone living in a suburb with no public transport other than buses wouldn't be over the moon at the prospect of a tram line directly to the CBD.

If support really is that low then it says something pretty special about the residents of Norwood...
Well they are a special breed in Norwood :D

Patrick_27

#2694 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:14 am

It's surely not that unpopular, it seems Marshall is merely saying that because it's a great idea that happens to run through his electorate. Those people opposed who attended the public meetings he mentions are either avid Liberal voters or people who are opposed to everything. If you were to ask families, students and non-FWD owning locals; you'd likely establish a much different story.

Perhaps rather than trying to stupidly reverse a justified decision with the r/h turn, he could commit that $37m to completing an entire city tram loop...

Otherwise, this entire plan stinks; apart from the fact that there is no commitment to the policy, the policy itself is shit and half-baked.

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#2695 Post by victorious80 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:31 am

Coming from someone who lives close to the proposed terminus of the Norwood tramline - please please please bring it on! My wife and I attended a planning meeting a year or two ago that related to the potential for a Norwood tram, and we were the youngest there by far (we're in our mid 30s). Average age there was 60, very vocal against the "outdated" tram technology, adamant it would increase congestion, destroy the trees (which are bringing up the pavement and require regular pavement remediation). We sat quietly for fear of being lynched, but it was certainly clear that the vast majority had formed their own views before the meeting and had no interest in listening to the presenters or to anyone else who may have had an alternative opinion.

Considering the ABS lists the median age of Norwood to be 39, I am confident there are a lot of residents who may be more supportive than Marshall has suggested (not to mention those in Kent Town where the median age is 34).

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#2696 Post by SuperEgz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:33 am

I personally think it makes more sense to do the North Adelaide extension first. Do the Norwood one later. Without an extension over the bridge, the under construction Festival Theater stop is a little silly and I can't imagine it being used too often apart from Adelaide Oval and Theater event days.

rubberman

#2697 Post by rubberman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:05 am

SuperEgz wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:33 am
I personally think it makes more sense to do the North Adelaide extension first. Do the Norwood one later. Without an extension over the bridge, the under construction Festival Theater stop is a little silly and I can't imagine it being used too often apart from Adelaide Oval and Theater event days.
The extension to the Festival Theatre was always stated as being a short extension so that the North Terrace intersection didn't have to be dug up again when the extension to Prospect was commenced. This saved the cost and disruption of digging up the intersection, plus gave the option of using trams to serve the area on event days. I'm not sure why that's silly.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#2698 Post by citywatcher » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:33 pm

A loop tram to nowhere
Southern expressway
Retractable lights
Obahn
Tapleys hill rd diversion
All brought to you by fuckwits who have no idea

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Nathan

#2699 Post by Nathan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:55 pm

Liberal's transport policy here: https://strongplan.com.au/wp-content/up ... NSPORT.pdf

This would put an end to any extensions beyond the loop:
Based on expert advice, we have concluded that trams are not viable, workable or needed beyond the Adelaide Parklands and North Adelaide, except for the existing Glenelg line which is e ectively light rail in a segregated tramway corridor.
Put the question to Marshall about the right turn only being used on the part time purple route, and he's said the Ent Centre to Gouger St blue route would use it too, but their map doesn't support that at all...

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#2700 Post by shiftaling » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:09 pm

I do have to say that buses on the Parade are so frequent as to negate the need for a check if the timetable before wandering up to the stop, except on weekends etc.

I like the idea of the tram though and think it would really activate the shopping strip even further, perhaps as a nightlife destination for eg, but I do also lament the loss of the trees which give a nice shady atmosphere to the whole street.