[COM] Britannia Roundabout

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

[COM] Britannia Roundabout

#1 Post by mattblack » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:51 pm

Heres the new proposal from the SA Gov. for fixing the Britannia Roundabout

http://vimeo.com/67612288

Associated article from InDaily

http://indaily.com.au/news/

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: PRO: Britannia Roundabout

#2 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Good to see a proposal that is going to go ahead

but sadly the actual roundabout isn't particularly bad, it is just the people that drive on it are.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by neoballmon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:32 pm

Waewick wrote:but sadly the actual roundabout isn't particularly bad, it is just the people that drive on it are.
I disagree to an extent. While driver knowledge is definitely an issue, I did notice last time I was on the roundabout, that traffic from Fullarton Road South to Kensington Road had to be in the right Lane, then had to get over to the left Lane after Dequettiville Tce to make the left turn. While traffic from Dequettiville Tce can go from the right Lane to Fullarton road South. So this does pose an issue.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

waz94
Gold-Member ;)

#4 Post by waz94 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:38 pm

But won't someone think of the trees!!!

build 'em smarter
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by build 'em smarter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:59 pm

I drive through this roundabout every day and it is quite clear that the issue is driver's not being aware/educated to which lane to be in. decent signage on approach would go a long way to fixing this

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#6 Post by ralmin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:10 pm

As a cyclist, these two roundabouts look even more dangerous than the one that was there before.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#7 Post by rev » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:44 pm

The biggest issue is obviously that drivers in this state are completely incompetent morons.(I think we need a thread to vent on daily idiotic behavior on our roads)

I'm surprised by how little money is actually needed for this. Although I guess time will tell if two roundabouts rather then one will solve this.
My money is on morons still being morons.
As a cyclist, these two roundabouts look even more dangerous than the one that was there before.
I didn't notice any bike lanes in the video, although I wasn't actually looking for any.

But, as a motorist I am concerned by how many cyclists ignore road rules and do what ever they feel like on the roads. The roads are there to be shared, not for cyclists to play dare devil and for motorists to try and guess where these yahoos and hooligans are going to do next.
Even if bike lanes are part of the upgrade, personally I'm starting to come to the belief that the only sensible option left is for bike lanes to be surrounded by steal and concrete so cyclists actually stay in their bike lane and obey road rules.

Nathan

#8 Post by Nathan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:08 pm

rev wrote:The biggest issue is obviously that drivers in this state are completely incompetent morons.(I think we need a thread to vent on daily idiotic behavior on our roads)

I'm surprised by how little money is actually needed for this. Although I guess time will tell if two roundabouts rather then one will solve this.
My money is on morons still being morons.
I didn't notice any bike lanes in the video, although I wasn't actually looking for any.

But, as a motorist I am concerned by how many cyclists ignore road rules and do what ever they feel like on the roads. The roads are there to be shared, not for cyclists to play dare devil and for motorists to try and guess where these yahoos and hooligans are going to do next.
Even if bike lanes are part of the upgrade, personally I'm starting to come to the belief that the only sensible option left is for bike lanes to be surrounded by steal and concrete so cyclists actually stay in their bike lane and obey road rules.
The percentage of cyclists who ignore rules are no different than the percentage of drivers who ignore rules. As you yourself said there's an issue that many in this state are completely incompetent morons. Some of those drive, some of those cycle. So complaining about hooligan cyclists when someone brings up bike lanes or other infrastructure is like sounding off about drunk drivers when talking about building new superways.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by Norman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:44 pm

ralmin wrote:As a cyclist, these two roundabouts look even more dangerous than the one that was there before.
DPTI wrote:Are the any improvements for pedestrian or cyclist access?

The reduced speed of vehicles through the intersection will create a safer pedestrian environment.

Currently there is no specific cyclist facility at the existing roundabout. Cyclist improvements are not included in the upgrade due to the necessity of keeping the footprint of the intersection to a minimum, reducing the impact on adjacent land. A safer alternate bike route exists to the north-west of the roundabout for cyclists to enter the city through the park lands as part of the Bike Direct Initiative Project.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by Westside » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:55 pm

The reduced speed of vehicles through the intersection will create a safer pedestrian environment.

Currently there is no specific cyclist facility at the existing roundabout. Cyclist improvements are not included in the upgrade due to the necessity of keeping the footprint of the intersection to a minimum, reducing the impact on adjacent land. A safer alternate bike route exists to the north-west of the roundabout for cyclists to enter the city through the park lands as part of the Bike Direct Initiative Project.
Lame.

The one suggestion I would have to this proposal is to include a set of traffic lights heading north on the approach to the northern roundabout (ala ex-one-way expressway) to control the flow of traffic on to Dequetteville Tce. At the moment, it is a nightmare trying to get out of Wakefield St in peak and this solution will not fix that.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by mattblack » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:36 am

Westside wrote:

Lame.

The one suggestion I would have to this proposal is to include a set of traffic lights heading north on the approach to the northern roundabout (ala ex-one-way expressway) to control the flow of traffic on to Dequetteville Tce. At the moment, it is a nightmare trying to get out of Wakefield St in peak and this solution will not fix that.
Putting more lights that will affect the ring road is not an option that ACC or DPTI want to pursue. If your using Britannia at the moment, you know its dangerous, nothing will change with this design. There are other options that are available to cyclists wanting to access the city from the East and Council is working hard on cycling infrastructure overall. Use them.
Waz94 wrote
But won't someone think of the trees!!!
Where's the hotline to Moran and Wilkinson when you need one?
rev wrote
But, as a motorist I am concerned by how many cyclists ignore road rules and do what ever they feel like on the roads
You obviously feel aggrieved when you see a cyclist beat you through traffic. Way to paint every cyclist with the same brush. I could say that every driver is a mindless, incompetent, inconsiderate bogan who cares more about owning the road around them rather than sharing the space ........................... but I won’t.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Wayno » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:52 am

Apparently the latest RAA magazine has a photo of the roundabout in the 50s..yes...you guessed it...a double roundabout...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Aidan

#13 Post by Aidan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:16 pm

Wayno wrote:Apparently the latest RAA magazine has a photo of the roundabout in the 50s..yes...you guessed it...a double roundabout...
I've seen that photo (or one like it) before and did not notice it was a double roundabout. Even looking at it now it's not 100% clear that's what it was. Does anyone else have any info on the 1950s layout?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Wayno » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:45 pm

1950s pikkie in the online SA Motor edition (raa website):

http://samotor.realviewtechnologies.com/#folio=34
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ajp
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#15 Post by ajp » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:06 pm

Why not control peak flows entering the roundabout with traffic signals, and let the roundabout operate as normal at other times. The intersection of Old Belair & Blythewood is an example of this. Otherwise just bring on the tunnels....