COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#166 Post by Howie » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:18 am

There will be a display in Rundle Mall this Sunday (6/08/2006) for the new western section of the tramline.

I'm going to go check it out :)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#167 Post by AtD » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:05 pm

sam wrote:How long has that been the case for?

Was it after this post: http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... ight=#1764
Nah, years I think. I remember a sign in Victoria Square. I believe it's also free down the length of Jetty Rd.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/tramexte ... ochure.pdf
• The tramline extension will replace the Beeline bus service. Trips between
South Terrace to the City West university campus will be free during the tram’s
normal operating hours – from early morning to midnight 7 days a week.
• Most of the tracks in Victoria Square will be laid in a grass setting rather than
in concrete and bitumen.
• To improve efficiency and safety, the tram will run in a dedicated corridor in
the centre of King William Street and North Terrace, which will be easily
identified by different pavement treatments.
HOW TO HAVE YOUR SAY
Comment on the tramline extension by:
• Completing and returning the Response Form in the reply paid envelope provided (no stamp
required) or post to DTEI, Office of Major Projects and Infrastructure, Tramline Extension
Project, Reply Paid 1, Walkerville SA 5081.
• Visiting the website at http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/tramextension , and completing the
questionnaire online.
• Calling 1300 884 047 and speaking to a member of the project team; or
• E-mailing [email protected]

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#168 Post by Will » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:51 pm

I would encourage everyone to fill out a lot of the on-line questionnaires with pro-tram responses.

History has taught us that in the past special interest NIMBY groups have hijacked these public consultations, whcih have either caused a project to be cancelled or dumbed down.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#169 Post by AtD » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:06 pm

Perhaps someone would like to write up a template letter we can print out and mail? Mail replies (especially hand-written) will carry more weight than online forms. Highlight the fact if you're in a marginal seat ;)

Tom
High Rise Poster!

#170 Post by Tom » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:47 pm

I had a short letter to the editor about the Tramline in the paper a few days ago being possitive about the tram. Today I recived a letter with 6-8 pages of anti tram cut outs and two letters from the person that were highly inacurate.

It just shows how important it is to show support for the tramline with such negitive people around, I have posted the two letters that this person has written at http://www.railsa.com/f/viewtopic.php?t=290

Im still abit weirded that someone would go to all of the trouble to send me somthing like this and it was a shock i didnt expect anybody to reply in aussie post :shock: :shock: :shock:

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#171 Post by Howie » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:54 pm

They sure know how not to get their facts right.

Good on you for setting them straight mate.

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#172 Post by sam » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:07 am

AtD wrote:
sam wrote:How long has that been the case for?

Was it after this post: http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... ight=#1764
Nah, years I think. I remember a sign in Victoria Square.
Oopss - somebody should of said something before I posted that letter to Pat. I got the impression that it was only going to be free from Vic Sq to North Terrace, not from South Terrace.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#173 Post by Will » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:32 pm

Tom wrote:I had a short letter to the editor about the Tramline in the paper a few days ago being possitive about the tram. Today I recived a letter with 6-8 pages of anti tram cut outs and two letters from the person that were highly inacurate.

It just shows how important it is to show support for the tramline with such negitive people around, I have posted the two letters that this person has written at http://www.railsa.com/f/viewtopic.php?t=290

Im still abit weirded that someone would go to all of the trouble to send me somthing like this and it was a shock i didnt expect anybody to reply in aussie post :shock: :shock: :shock:

It is disgusting to see such negative and ignorant opinions.

The anti-tram propoaganda created by the coalition of Anne Moran, the Libs and the Advertiser is definately working.

Sometimes I feel as though the people of this state do not know what is good for them. It is dissapointing that many people in this state, including those in positions of power think of Adelaide as some kind of quaint, turn of the century village.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#174 Post by Will » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:38 pm

I have just written this letter quickly. I realize that it is not perfect, but it is a start. Feel free to add, correct and improve the letter. Because I agree with Adam. We need to make our voices of positivism heard. We can no-longer stand back and allow the anti-progress forces which are powerful in this city to destroy another visionary project, and continue leading us on the path towards irrelevancy as a city.

It may help if someone wrote a section of the letter dispelling some of the outrageous claims made by the anti-tram coalition. I tried but it infuriated me so much that i could not write something that wasn't rude.

***Letter up-dated***

Dear

I am writing to express my fury at your criticism of the visionary tram extension. Your opposition to this project displays a small town mentality and strong overtones of anti-developmental bias which is responsible for the perceived stagnation of our state and the common perception of Adelaide as a ‘do nothing city’. As a small state we cannot afford the luxury of being conservative and hoping for the best. Many of the boom cities of today are in such an enviable position because they didn't sit back and hope for the best; they are in such a position because they were adventurous and willing to try.

The tram extension is a positive project for the city of Adelaide. Research overseas has demonstrated that commuters are more willing to use public transport if it is a tram. Furthermore it has also been proved that extending tramlines to tired and forgotten sections of a city have led to urban re-generation, attracting new people and businesses to the area. This would be particularly relevant in the case of Adelaide’s west end. In case you have not realized, this area of the city, and in particular around Hindley Street is dying a slow death. Many shop-fronts are empty and the zone in general, remains an ugly, industrial looking piece of real estate. This is very disappointing when you consider that it is in the CBD, and thus has great potential for urban regeneration.
Environmentally the tram extension is a good idea, in that by making Adelaide’s public transport system more attractive and modern, more people will be willing to use it. Not only does this reduce the number of cars coming into the CBD (thus refuting the scare campaign of nightmarish traffic jams caused by the trams); the tram would also replace the diesel powered beeline bus service. Research has also demonstrated that one single tram can remove 700 cars off the road.
Instead of thinking of the tram extension as some kind of one-off white elephant it is very important to remember that this is the first stage in a wider and bolder plant to re-introduce light rail to Adelaide’s streets, which were infamously ripped up in 1958. Electric powered trams are environmentally friendly and in our era of increased knowledge of the effects of greenhouse gases, electric powered trams are responsible and smart.

The tram extension is a visionary project for Adelaide. Not only would it encourage commuters to use public transport, it would modernize our city’s ageing public transport system. Trams are a romantic method of public transport, which decorate the elegant cities of Europe. As Australia’s most European city, trams would not detract from the elegance of King William Street but in fact add to its charm.
With the price of petrol increasing daily, we have to spend and build greater public transport infrastructure. The tram extension is a positive project for Adelaide, and I would encourage you to reconsider your position on this project and help Adelaide leave the roundabout of stagnation.
Last edited by Will on Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#175 Post by crawf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:22 pm

nice one :D

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#176 Post by Tyler_Durden » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:25 am

No point writing to those who are anti the tram extensions. Their minds aren't going to be changed by a letter. Just like those of us who are for this project aren't going to have our minds changed by those against it. The people against it aren't in decision making positions in any case.

Any letters of support need to be sent to the people who will make this happen. That is the government of SA, in particular Pat Conlon, and the Adelaide City Council. These parties are obviously in favour of this development and the only thing possibly stopping it from going ahead would be if they are scared into thinking there is no support for it. They are the ones that need our reassurance. It may be that they won't be swayed by the naysayers anyway, but our support can't hurt.

And once the bulldozers move in and the tracks are being layed, there is no turning back and we can all enjoy the progress. As Minister Conlon has pointed out, people WILL like this once it is in operation. I just hope they don't get spooked in the mean time.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#177 Post by AG » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:41 am

$60m project 'pivotal' to rebirth of West EndANNA VLACH

August 05, 2006 12:15am
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
ADELAIDE'S extended tram line would run along Gray and Grote Streets, plans on display in Rundle Mall from tomorrow reveal.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said yesterday that two options were still being considered for the route.
The first would extend the line down North Terrace, turning left into Gray St and left into Grote St before ending the loop in Victoria Square.

The second would turn from North Terrace into Gray St, left into Currie St, around Light Square, follow Morphett St and turn into Grote St.

The tram extension project team will also be available in Rundle Mall tomorrow to talk to the public under the Gawler Place canopy from 11am-4pm.

Mr Conlon has defended the proposed investment which could cost up to $60 million. "There is expenditure far greater than this one-off capital," he said.

The loop tram would be pivotal in reviving the West End because it would encourage developers to invest in the area, he said.

Town planner and chairman of the Salisbury Transport Action Group, Joel Taggart, 23, said the project would have wide-ranging benefits for the city.

Mr Taggart said the project would "help the whole of Adelaide move around more freely".

For example, King William St would become more pedestrian-friendly because motorists fearing congestion thanks to reduced lanes of traffic would be less likely to use it.

Mr Taggart also supported the long-term plan to convert the Port Adelaide to Outer Harbor railway line to light rail.

"You could easily and rapidly link them and it would regenerate the CBD and Port Adelaide," he said.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#178 Post by Howie » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:51 am

Repost of my post on SSC
*LaZ*VegaZ* : Did anyone go to Rundle Mall and see the tram line display? If so what was it like?
I went. Had a bit of a chat.

I was impressed with the what the gentleman from the state government had to say. Basically their spin is that the west tramline will rejuvinate the city's western's end, which they gave a number of examples where this has happened elsewhere, and that the patronage and the fact that government offices were relocating there, would bring a tremendous boost to the area. The west tramline to citywest campus will be complete by july of 2007, and from then on they'll be exploring options to link it back through grote street to victoria square and possibly beyond to the east side of the city.

He continued to say that the effect of trams running through king william would have (i.e. the reduced number of lanes), may caust motorists to divert from king william and thereby making king william more pedestrian and shopping friendly. Which reminded me of melbourne's elizabeth street.

Also he then went on to mention that the tram line route would improve on the existing 99B route. Frequency was definately on the up (going by the comparison table they had.. which i'll post later), and this popular route would be better serviced.

I stuck around for about 15 minutes, listening to the sort of questions people were asking. Some wanted to know, how the line would interact with pedestrians, some wanted to know if the width of the tracks interferred with cars, some wanted to know how current bus services are effected. Most of the comments were indeed positive. This should go ahead in my opinion - it makes an enormous amount of sense.
Last edited by Howie on Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#179 Post by Will » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:09 pm

I also went, and I was heartened to hear that the majoriy of the people talking to the state government representatives were mainly positive.

However there was this woman who was going on about how if the tram line was extended, the trams would run over small children. The amount of ignorance regarding this project is trully sad, however I did give the woman the stare of death.

I also filled out about 10 of the questionnaires at the canopy, and I took about 20 home. Hopefully this will balance the NIMBY responses.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#180 Post by AtD » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:20 pm

Thanks Howie and Will. I was going to go, but got called into work at the last moment (and I don't say no to Sunday penalty rates!)

Is the brochure they were handing out the same as the PDF on the DTEI website?