COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Glenelg Tram Line Upgrade

#766 Post by Norman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:53 pm

Will409 wrote:I have some bad news for everyone here. I made a run to the city and also South Terrace to get photos of the extension as usual. Unfortunatly, the first 10 photos I got were of less then idea quality and the rest were 'blacked out' by the camera completely. After a total of nearly 8000 photos from the camera, it has packed up completely. Because of my almost non existant budget (caused by a trip to Melbourne later this year), I cannot get a new camera.

This means that my weekly update series will have to come to an end.
Damn. That's no good. I'll try to get down to South Terrace sometime this week to take some pics.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#767 Post by AG » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:30 am

The diagonal crossing pedestrian signal frames have been set up in place at both Hindley Street and at Pirie and Waymouth Streets, as have numerous arrow signal frames. Close to all (if not all) the masts along the centre of King William Street are up and tiling on the platform at Victoria Square is progressing well.

urban
Legendary Member!

#768 Post by urban » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:45 am

The Vic Sq platform paving looks great. Much classier than the suburban tram stops.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#769 Post by duke » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:01 am

They were laying rebar on the stop outside Rundle Mall this morning, so it shouldn't be too long until this stop is finished. I assume the cement will be poured later today.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#770 Post by Will » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:42 pm

I apologize if someone has already posted this, but I was having a read of the paper and it is reported that the final track laying will be held on the weekend between 3-5 August. This final stage involves laying the tracks across Gouger/Angas Street. As part of this stage there will also be electrical and track work around South Terrace. In addition, from August 6, the Victoria Square tram terminus will be relocated from the centre of Victoria Square, to the western edge, at the new tram stop in front of the Hilton.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#771 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:42 am

Will wrote:In addition, from August 6, the Victoria Square tram terminus will be relocated from the centre of Victoria Square, to the western edge, at the new tram stop in front of the Hilton.
Ohh yeah! :wank: :lol:

I will be there on the first day, taking lots of pictures! I simply can't wait :D

urban
Legendary Member!

#772 Post by urban » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:14 am

Buses may run on tram corridor
Article from: The Advertiser

ANNA VLACH, TRANSPORT
July 26, 2007 02:15am
THE State Government is considering running buses along the King William St tramline extension.

That would make traffic lanes less congested and speed up car travel through the city hub.

As with trams, however, buses will need to have openings on both sides so passengers can alight safely on tram platforms in the centre of the road.

If standard buses were used, passengers would have to alight into oncoming traffic. Buses therefore would need to be purpose-built or modified.

The Transport Department would secure the fleet through an open tender.

Transport Department deputy chief and Office of Major Projects and Infrastructure executive director Rod Hook said yesterday the proposal was in its conceptual stage.

"It is nothing more than a thought that is worth investigating," he said. "We are trying to ensure we get the best mix of what is reserved as a transit corridor for use by public transport."

While there are no immediate plans for buses to run on the tram corridor when the new extension opens in September, a Transport Department spokesman hinted it eventually would happen.

"In many cities in the world, buses and trams run in the same corridor and operate successfully," he said.

"This will be part of a long-term consideration for the Transport Department." People for Public Transport secretary Margaret Dingle said the concept could work.

"You could let a few buses run between the trams," she said.

If more trams were purchased it was unlikely buses would share the corridor, Mr Hook said.

"If there was a greater frequency of trams it could not be done," he said.
Modified buses like this could conceivably by used with a central island on Grenfell St to ease the current bus congestion.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#773 Post by Cruise » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:35 am

now this idea i like.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#774 Post by AG » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:05 pm

If only they had designed side platforms instead of island platforms and they had been designed to be longer, then the idea would be feasible. The changes to the traffic signal settings and conditions that would need to be made at Victoria Square and North Terrace don't exactly help the idea either. Plus there would also be a lot of cost involved in redesigning buses to have doors on both sides, not even the rapid transit bus networks in South America have this feature. It all sounds nice, but it doesn't seem very functional to me, particularly if there's no way for stopped buses to pass other stopped vehicles and not run on a separate corridor from the road like most combined bus/light rail routes are. It would be more functional to create a T2 lane on some of the other lanes. The idea obviously has not been thought through properly.

If they were going to run buses, it would be more worthwhile having right-hand running along the tram line instead of redesigning every bus. However, it would require redoing the traffic signals at the North Terrace and Victoria Square intersections, as well as a flyover of some sort somewhere along the tram line to restore left-hand running.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#775 Post by rhino » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:10 pm

If the platforms were on the sides of the tram corridor instead of the centre, then there would be so much more unusable road space. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assumed that traffic would be able to drive on the tram tracks in much the same way as it can along the southern end of KWS. If you go moving the plaforms to the sides of the tracks rather than between the tracks, you'll lose this ability. Busses, if they need to pass a stopped tram or bus in front of them, need only change lanes.
cheers,
Rhino

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#776 Post by Ben » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:18 pm

No cars will not be able to drive on the tracks. Only the southern part of king william

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#777 Post by rhino » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:32 pm

I stand corrected then. Currently, with the barriers in place, there still seems to be enough room on the street, although I've only seen it off-peak.
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#778 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:37 pm

I like this idea, as the buses clog way to much traffic on King William Street and North Terrace.

urban
Legendary Member!

#779 Post by urban » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:32 pm

The tram lanes have been designed as Tram only lanes and are going to have kerbs separating them from the traffic.

This is the problem with upgrading the public transport system in an ad-hoc fashion. We need a holistic approach to our transport system so that money isn't wasted duplicating services or retrofitting vehicles.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#780 Post by AtD » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:43 pm

Seems silly to me. It could work at a bus lane, bypassing traffic, but spending such a large amount to retrofit all the buses to have right side doors would be a massive cost for just 5 stops! It could be better spent on more buses!