[COM] Flinders Rail Link

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#151 Post by TorrensSA » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:33 am

The new timetable looks like a good first step, 30min day frequency is not bad, it should be 20min. Having Seaford being all stops at night, gives the inner stations 4 trains an hour, which is crazy at 10pm yet Seaford trains run express on weekend nights. Trains still leave every 15min during the day from Seaford / ARS, but half are now express, which saves 4/5min, which is great, but leaves an odd 11/19min frequency further up the line when leaving from ARS.
Also I can't figure out why the trip to Brighton on an all stops train is 27min heading to Seaford but 28min heading to ARS, the entire trip Seaford to ARS is 50min both ways.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#152 Post by SBD » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:17 am

TorrensSA wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:33 am
The new timetable looks like a good first step, 30min day frequency is not bad, it should be 20min. Having Seaford being all stops at night, gives the inner stations 4 trains an hour, which is crazy at 10pm yet Seaford trains run express on weekend nights. Trains still leave every 15min during the day from Seaford / ARS, but half are now express, which saves 4/5min, which is great, but leaves an odd 11/19min frequency further up the line when leaving from ARS.
Also I can't figure out why the trip to Brighton on an all stops train is 27min heading to Seaford but 28min heading to ARS, the entire trip Seaford to ARS is 50min both ways.
It's uphill from Brighton to Adelaide?

Perhaps the actual time is between 27 and 28 minutes, but rolling in to the terminal station is enough slower to tip it over to the next minute in that direction? If the who trip is the same timetable time each way, there must be another gap that is different in the other direction to match.

PeFe

#153 Post by PeFe » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:31 pm

Just sent off my personal response to the proposed Flinders timetable to the Department of Transport and Infrastructure.

My points being 1) daytime frequency should be 20 minutes
2) last train from city should be 2352, not 2252
3) Flinders and Seaford should now be separate lines. Flinders all stops to the city...all the time and Seaford express to
Woodlands Park....all the time.

Nathan

#154 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:08 pm

PeFe wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:31 pm
3) Flinders and Seaford should now be separate lines. Flinders all stops to the city...all the time and Seaford express to Woodlands Park....all the time.
Yes to Seaford being express, but perhaps stopping either Showgrounds or Goodwood (but def. skip Mile End, Clarence Park, Emerson & Edwardstown)

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#155 Post by AG » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:22 pm

Unless upgrades or additional tracks are created between Woodlands Park and Goodwood, I think the proposed stopping pattern is a fair compromise given the lack of overtaking tracks. Making Flinders stop all stations and Seaford express would likely result in the express services being stuck behind the all stops services anyway! I do agree with making services start earlier and finish later.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#156 Post by mattwinter » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:42 am

AG wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:22 pm
Unless upgrades or additional tracks are created between Woodlands Park and Goodwood, I think the proposed stopping pattern is a fair compromise given the lack of overtaking tracks. Making Flinders stop all stations and Seaford express would likely result in the express services being stuck behind the all stops services anyway! I do agree with making services start earlier and finish later.
I would have thought you could pretty easily time it so that a flinders train always comes right after a seaford express. Then if you're taking the seaford line you can always jump off at Woodlands and quickly transfer to the all-stopper behind you if you want to get off before the city.

Do agree that a seaford express should always stop at one of the Belair stations (Goodwood, Showgrounds) to make it easier to transfer to the Belair line too. Probably Goodwood if longer term they upgrade it and make it easier to transfer to a tram as well.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#157 Post by Spotto » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:31 am

mattwinter wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:42 am
Do agree that a seaford express should always stop at one of the Belair stations (Goodwood, Showgrounds) to make it easier to transfer to the Belair line too. Probably Goodwood if longer term they upgrade it and make it easier to transfer to a tram as well.
I'd say both. Showground year-round for any events and especially so they won't have to mess with timetables every year when it's show time to stop at the Showgrounds. Goodwood because it's a quieter transfer between Seaford and Belair and for a tram stop in future (which would require a new overpass but should be done).

claybro

#158 Post by claybro » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:32 pm

Is there any need for Seaford to stop at Showgrounds, even at showtime? It's not much of a walk to the south entry from Goodwood. Showgrounds would be well serviced by Belair and Flinders trains surely and those living oiling the Seaford line could just use Goodwood without any need to alter timetables.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#159 Post by Spotto » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:52 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:32 pm
Is there any need for Seaford to stop at Showgrounds, even at showtime? It's not much of a walk to the south entry from Goodwood.
That was the whole point of building the Showground station. :wallbash:

Nobody will want to walk 5-10 minutes from Goodwood when there’s a perfectly good station that was built to cope with the large crowds, is accessibility compliant, and drops you right at the gates. Likewise it would also be pointless to transfer to a stopping train for a single stop.

Patrick_27

#160 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:58 pm

Spotto wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:52 pm
claybro wrote:
Is there any need for Seaford to stop at Showgrounds, even at showtime? It's not much of a walk to the south entry from Goodwood.

Nobody will want to walk 5-10 minutes from Goodwood when there’s a perfectly good station that was built to cope with the large crowds, is accessibility compliant, and drops you right at the gates. Likewise it would also be pointless to transfer to a stopping train for a single stop.
I'd argue that unless they do a massive upgrade Goodwood Station and create better connections between trams and trains there, they might as well close the station and use the Showgrounds in taking on the patronage that uses Goodwood.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#161 Post by mattwinter » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:12 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:58 pm
Spotto wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:52 pm
claybro wrote:

I'd argue that unless they do a massive upgrade Goodwood Station and create better connections between trams and trains there, they might as well close the station and use the Showgrounds in taking on the patronage that uses Goodwood.
They're both pretty well used stations compared to some others so I wouldn't think closing either would be on the cards any time soon. At showtime I often get off at Goodwood to avoid the crowds at Showgrounds station, but it would be madness to not have seaford trains stopping at Showgrounds during showtime.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#162 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:52 am

AG wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:22 pm
Looking at the timetable (https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/conten ... -06-19.pdf) ARS to Woodlands Park is 11 minutes non-stop. 15 or 16 minutes all stops.

Suppose we can signal trains two minutes apart (which is generous, many rail systems around the world run smaller headways).
  • Non-stop train leaves ARS at 12:00.
  • All stops train leaves ARS at 12:02.
  • Non-stop train arrives at Woodlands Park at 12:11.
  • All stops train arrives at Woodlands Park at 12:18.
  • The soonest the next express train can arrive at Woodlands Park is at 12:20.
  • So the soonest the next express train can leave ARS is at 12:09.
We can support a nine minute frequency with this proposal. If the express trains actually stop at Goodwood and Showgrounds like other posters suggest, then the frequency can be even better. A train every 20 minutes works too with this proposal.

Goodwood should be a transport interchange since there are three railway lines, the tram and Goodwood Rd buses all right there.

PeFe

#163 Post by PeFe » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:21 pm

Latest construction pictures 10/11/20
IMG_20201110_113120.jpg
IMG_20201110_113749.jpg
IMG_20201110_113114.jpg

PeFe

#164 Post by PeFe » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:31 pm

New Tonsley station being built 10/11/20.
The new and old line are yet to be joined up.
IMG_20201110_121042.jpg
IMG_20201110_120729~2.jpg
IMG_20201110_120751~2.jpg

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#165 Post by I Follow PAFC » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:16 pm

I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/