Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #PRO: Gawler East and Environs development

#451 Post by AG » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:37 pm

Lend Lease's new development in Gawler East is now happening under the working project name Springwood.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #PRO: Gawler East and Environs development

#452 Post by rhino » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:02 pm

I expect Gawler Town Council would be quite happy to have this area within their boundaries, considering the people who live there access Gawler's services.

For the same reason, the Barossa Council probably wants them too. Rates coming in without much to give in return.
We want out of the Barossa boundary
by: Bryan Littlely From: The Advertiser February 15, 2012 12:00AM

A GROUP of landholders nestled between the Barossa Valley and Gawler has formulated a plan to break away from the Barossa.

The Concordia Gawler Group, consisting of five residents from the area between Gawler and Rosedale, has drafted a public-initiated structural reform proposal to alter the council boundaries of the Town of Gawler and Barossa Council.

The draft proposal has been sent out to about 20 residents of the affected area for consultation only and has not been formally submitted to either council for consideration.

It suggests the 1500ha area be relinquished by Barossa Council to the Town of Gawler.

One of the spokesmen for the group, landholder Peter Conrick, said the Barossa Council had lost contact with the area.

Its lack of consultation with landholders over the recently introduced Barossa Valley Character Preservation Bill was a tipping point for the action, Mr Conrick said.

"The reason we have done it, made the suggestion, is that the Barossa Council is focused on viticulture and this is a farming and grazing area ... we feel there is a lack of interest in what happens here," he said.

"And everything that we do all happens in Gawler.

"If we want to go to the doctor, go grocery shopping, to the gym or fill the car with petrol, it all happens in Gawler.

"Because of that, we communicate with the people of Gawler. We have no communication at all from Barossa Council.

"The thing that really stirred us up was the proposal for the Barossa Valley Character Preservation Bill ... nobody from this area was consulted.

"The consequences of that bill is that we cannot diversify our farming practices at all.

"There's load restrictions on the bridge at Rosedale over the North Para and heavy vehicle transport restrictions through Gawler. Now that urban areas are getting closer on the western side, the agricultural practices get harder - spraying, working late at night and burn-offs."

Mr Conrick said the Barossa Council's rates for rural land also worked out to be about 20 per cent higher than other surrounding councils.

The group made the draft submission available to residents for consultation and has taken feedback by letter and on a Facebook page. If a formal submission is made, it will sit with the relevant parties for up to 10 weeks before feedback is provided.

Charlie and Kirsten Teusner have been relocating their farming operations from Concordia to Lameroo due to the pressures on farming from urban sprawl.

They say allowing their land to be developed or loosening the restrictions on them at Concordia would make it more attractive to buyers and thereby easier for farmers to relocate.

Barossa council chief executive David Morcom said the council was aware a small number of residents wanted existing rural land in Concordia rezoned - to land uses such a residential - to increase its value.

"But council is also are accountable to the significant number of residents in the area who have written to us advising that they covet their quiet rural lifestyle and deeply oppose any possibility of rezoning," Mr Morcom said.

The Town of Gawler did not respond to questions.
cheers,
Rhino

danni_88
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Playford Alive Project

#453 Post by danni_88 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:55 am

Hooligan wrote:
crawf wrote:
Waewick wrote:
curious to know, how much of that construction has been for "affordable" housing?
Not much of it.
I would actually say none
Outside of the Clipsal redevelopment... you're probably right

But when you considered that the Bowden redevelopment is being run by the Government (hand in hand with developers), you would realize that affordable options are a mandatory part of the project.

That said, how "affordable" the options provided will be is another matter.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

Re: #PRO: Roseworthy Garden Town

#454 Post by dbl96 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:34 pm

crawf wrote:Or I would rather they build infill development between Blakeview and Evanston Park, so it's closer to existing services and the city in general.

It makes more sense to do that instead of building at Buckland Park, Two Wells, Freeling and now Roseworthy. Gawler already feels like an outer suburb of Adelaide.

The reason the government doesnt allow building between Blakeview and Evanston is that that they would have to stop pretending that Gawler is some little country town and own up to the fact that it's actually sprawl

mutt
High Rise Poster!

Re: Urban sprawl engulfing Virginia growers

#455 Post by mutt » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:26 pm

sounds like Agenda 21 rubbish
have any growers actually complained or is this just university types complaining on their behalf?

Burger
Gold-Member ;)

#456 Post by Burger » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Part of the reason for the productivity being achieved by the Virginia-area growers is that it's the floodplain of the Gawler River with the resultant benefits of thousands of years of silt and nutrient deposits.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm going from memory, but around Two Wells the soils turns a bit more clay-like and then closed to Port Wakefield it has a lot more limstone. Ignoring the physical infrastructure for a minute, either of those locations will require many tonnes of imported product just to get the soil into a condition that produce something other than grains. And when we're told that prices are dearer in the country due to fuel prices, the further out the producers have to go, the more expensive it will get (it's not just trucking the produce to market, it's getting things out there as well).

It would be a shame to see it moved as I remember driving through there every time we visited the big smoke from my childhood country home but if it's what the producers want/need (I think it should be up to the growers themselves as a collective), then so be it.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#457 Post by duke » Wed May 16, 2012 11:03 am

We need to start thinking about Vertical Farming as the future rather than taking up large patches of land.
It would be more efficient and less prone to weather and insect damage.

rhino

#458 Post by rhino » Thu May 17, 2012 8:48 am

duke wrote:We need to start thinking about Vertical Farming

What are verticals, who eats them, and would anybody buy them?
cheers,
Rhino

duke
High Rise Poster!

#459 Post by duke » Fri May 18, 2012 11:38 am

rhino wrote:
duke wrote:We need to start thinking about Vertical Farming

What are verticals, who eats them, and would anybody buy them?

rhino

#460 Post by rhino » Fri May 18, 2012 12:23 pm

Check out those Japanese dudes in that virst vid - all suited up, wearing masks, producing food with absolutely no germs in it at all. No wonder Humans are succumbing to so many diseases these days - we've got less and less immunity because all the little bugs are being removed, and we think it's healthier, but when one finally does get through, we've not built up any immunities against it, and it wreaks havoc. Soon people will be dying from eating their own organically produced products from their home gardens!

My comment in my last post was tongue-in-cheek, and I can see that vertical farming has it's benefits, but personally I would rather eat stuff that is grown in dirt, with a few healthy germs, and die my own way, at 95, shot dead by a jealous husband.

And I would rather see market gardens than McMansions at Virginia. :)
cheers,
Rhino

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#461 Post by Wayno » Fri May 18, 2012 4:51 pm

ok Rhino, that's enough of that - you're spreading too much humour and mirth with your posts, and on a friday afternoon too. Stop it now!

Agree re. McMansions
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Eyre at Penfield

#462 Post by Wayno » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:20 pm

a new housing complex next to Davoren Park here.

AdelaideNow - May 31
A $450 million land release north of Adelaide will be officially made today.
eyre-at-penfield.jpg
eyre-at-penfield.jpg (77.89 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
Eyre at Penfield, bordered by Andrews, Petherton, Stebonheath and Womma roads, is a 121 ha development of 1750 allotments, 2000 houses and units for about 5000 people. It is expected to be developed over the next 12 to 15 years.

AV Jennings Eyre project director Mike Lyon said the masterplan behind the development would encourage interaction between residents.

"We believe the key to establishing a sustainable and harmonious community at Eyre is to create an environment which brings people and families together and encourages positive social interaction," Mr Lyon said.

"It's based on the fundamental social principle of encouraging people to engage at a `micro' community level - the level in a local precinct where people know one another and interact with one another."

Smaller parks no larger than 2000sq m would allow for passive surveillance by neighbours but there would also be a larger Civic Park, nature trails and a potential wetland, he said. Real Estate Institute of SA president Greg Moulton said affordable land was vital to house an expanding population.

"With direct access to the Northern Expressway, this will be a significant area of growth and development," Mr Moulton said.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

Re: Eyre at Penfield

#463 Post by dsriggs » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:18 pm

Hurrah! More sprawl! :wallbash:

PeFe

#464 Post by PeFe » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:12 am

To quote "Apocalypse Now"....."the horror! the horror!"

rhino

#465 Post by rhino » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:59 am

Can "Penfold" be changed to "Penfield" in the subject heading please? Pedantic, I know ....
cheers,
Rhino