[PRO] Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: #ONH: Westfield Marion Expansion | $280m | 150,000sqm

#316 Post by Nort » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:13 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wayno wrote:perhaps as part of approving paid parking, the marion council should require westfield to pay for 2-3 hour parking limit signs to be placed around nearby suburbia, and for the cost to council & residents to implement a local resident parking exemption system.
Why should Westfield be required to pay for that? They're perfectly entitled to charge for car parking without having to give extra concessions.
Part of the zoning and other planning permissions for things like a shopping center look at the impact they will have on the surrounding area. If they are going to be doing something that will have an impact (drawing in customers to park on nearby streets) then that is a consideration that needs to be taken into mind.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#317 Post by pushbutton » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:44 pm

I know several major shopping centres in large cities in Britain (where the population is far denser) which do not charge for parking no matter how long you stay.

It's just pure greed on Westfields part.

Nort

#318 Post by Nort » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:41 pm

pushbutton wrote: It's just pure greed on Westfields part.
This is the behind doors opinion at several tenancies at Marion as well who are not happy about this.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#319 Post by AtD » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:14 am

It's simiple really. Marion has a shortage of car parks and always will. Westfield wants higher turnover of the car parks and less people wasting time in the centre. Rush in, empty your pockets and rush out. They don't want teenagers and oldies spending hours in the centre and buying little.

Westfield aren't stupid. They know they make bucketloads more money from shop rents than they ever will from car parks. It's probably only going to be a token fee after two hours anyway, a couple of dollars per hour. It may not even cover the costs of manning and maintaining the pay parking system.

All the paid Westfield car parks I know of now have a system of lights over ever space so you don't have to hunt.

Think of it like this: they've made the entire car park a 2-hour parking zone, but if you overstay the fine is maybe $4 instead of $40.

lamboni
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#320 Post by lamboni » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:17 pm

I heard word today that the paid parking will come in end of 2013/beginning of 2014 and is incorporated in the Marion expansion. So hopefully if that's correct, we will hear official movement on the expansion in the next 12 months.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#321 Post by Allkai » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:07 pm

I got to talking to someone in the know on Saturday, and was told Marion would commence after West Lakes, which at this point in time is expected to start September-ish....

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#322 Post by Ben » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Rumours of Zara at Marion.

if this happens you can all but forget baout Burnside being a success.
Thursday, 5 April 2012
An Apple in Rundle Malls eye
Kevin Naughton

GLOBAL technology powerhouse Apple is set to take a spot in Adelaide’s Rundle Mall in a move agent sources say will be a coup for the city’s retail sector.

Reports in The Australian today said it is understood Apple is in discussions to lease space in Rundle Place, the new 85-store $85 million development on the site of the old Harris Scarfe’s store.

Rundle Place is also said to be the location of a second Zara store – the Spanish fashion retailer that opened its first SA store at Burnside Village. Indaily understands negotiations are also underway for another Zara store at Westfield Marion.
The attraction of an Apple store is more than the products they sell – the stores also include a “genius bar” where owners of Apple products can have on-the-spot service or repairs.

“These types of stores bring in enormous levels of activity,” Rundle Mall management Authority CEO Martin Haese told Indaily this morning.

“The rumour’s you are hearing are consistent with what we are hearing, but natural the owners are keeping understandably tight lipped.

“If it happened, it would be a groundbreaking acquisition for Runddle Mall.”

Customers are drawn in to Apple stores for repairs, which can take between 15 minutes to an hour or two, generating significant foot traffic for shopping centres where they are located, Sarah Danckert writes in today’s Prime Space section of The Australian.

Apple is the world’s largest listed company and an Adelaide store will bring its Australian retail presence to 14 stores.

Rundle Place project leasing manager Ilona Rose declined to comment.

Apple’s company’s stores are in the 1,000sq m to 1500sq m range.

NSW has seven stores, each in major shopping centres.

Melbourne has three, Brisbane two and Perth one.

Spanish fashion outlet Zara is said to be looking for space for a second store in the Rundle Place complex.

Rumours around Adelaide that it would ditch its store in the Burnside shopping centre have been denied by the Centre’s management and by Zara’s Australian headquarters.

Indaily spoke with Burnside owners The Cohen group who said Zara was not leaving the centre.

Aidan

[PRO] #ONH: Westfield Marion Expansion | $280m | 150,000sqm

#323 Post by Aidan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:42 pm

pushbutton wrote:I know several major shopping centres in large cities in Britain (where the population is far denser) which do not charge for parking no matter how long you stay.
So do I, but they're a minority. And not charging for parking is a commercial decision that they often review. When they think they can make more money by charging for parking, they will.
It's just pure greed on Westfields part.
Well I for one welcome it. On multiple occasions I've had to drive around for over ten minutes just to find a parking space, and in one case that made me too late for the film I wanted to see. Where spaces are available they're invariably in full sun on hot days or far from shelter on wet days. If it means good parking spaces are readily available, it's a good thing.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Burger
Gold-Member ;)

#324 Post by Burger » Wed May 02, 2012 5:38 pm

Nort wrote:
pushbutton wrote: It's just pure greed on Westfields part.
This is the behind doors opinion at several tenancies at Marion as well who are not happy about this.
I will guarantee that the same people complaining about the lack of sales & foottraffic are the very same people who park as close to the front doors as they can get. I've often found over the years, particularly in strips and neighbourhood Centres, that the most convenient parks at the entrance to the premises are taken by staff and owner of the businesses. They need to get over it and realise that these parks are there for customers.

As for greed, what's greedy about it? "Free for the first X hours" prevents commuters and staff taking the prime spaces every day. Most of the money made will go back into estabslishment and running costs anyway.

For too long, Councils have treated property developers as local carspace providers for the benefit of everyone else - see Norwood for a perfect examples of this. According to the Owner of Parade Central, Cinema patronage actually rose in the first few months following introduction of paid parking as theatre goers could actually get a space when they wanted one.

Omicron

#325 Post by Omicron » Wed May 02, 2012 9:39 pm

I still don't see the problem. A private business seeks money in exchange for use of their property. What a non-event.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#326 Post by Hooligan » Fri May 04, 2012 8:04 am

Omicron wrote:I still don't see the problem. A private business seeks money in exchange for use of their property. What a non-event.
Because it's a birth right as an Australian to park your car wherever you want and for as long as you want!

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#327 Post by pushbutton » Fri May 04, 2012 6:45 pm

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a birthright! However I certainly feel parking my car is something I expect to be able to do for free and with ease. If I find I cannot, I tend to go elsewhere where I can.

Nathan

#328 Post by Nathan » Fri May 04, 2012 10:20 pm

pushbutton wrote:However I certainly feel parking my car is something I expect to be able to do for free and with ease.
Why do expect to be able to do that for free and with ease?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#329 Post by Will » Fri May 04, 2012 11:00 pm

Nathan wrote:
pushbutton wrote:However I certainly feel parking my car is something I expect to be able to do for free and with ease.
Because it has always been like that.

(I understand your arguement, but in a city like ours where driving around is so easy, it will take a lot to convince people to ditch their cars)

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#330 Post by pushbutton » Sun May 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Nathan wrote:
Why not? Life's expensive and complicated enough without adding parking hassles to it! I've always been able to park easily and for free both in Britain and Australia and I don't believe there's any good reason that should change now!

I guess you could say I refuse to pay for parking for the same reason I refuse to pay for drinking water. It's just something that's simple and freely available everywhere. Any charges imposed on it are purely artificial and only paid by those who can't see through the fake reasons given by those who impose the charges. Next they'll be charging us for air, but I'll refuse to pay for that too (please don't think I'm joking)!