[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
neoballmon
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #VIS: Oaklands Rail Overpass

#421 Post by neoballmon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:50 pm

I would love to see an overpass here, having been caught on Morphett Road numerous times when trains come, and getting skipped in the sequence once it's passed, but I don't much like the design and hope they don't go with it.
IMO, it feels a little pretentious, looks quite ugly, and it doesn't match in with the Aquatic center's design, or even the station below (although that will be demolished - also quite stupid given it's only a few years old..)
I predict that if approved, construction to start around 2016
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Vee
Legendary Member!

#422 Post by Vee » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Wayno wrote:Having detailed plans ready now enables the state govt to add this project to the Infrastructure Australia list. Not a bad ploy. Fortune favours the prepared...
Snap!!!!
Just what I thought, when I saw that project/design (but no funding) in this morning's news items. Be prepared - just in case. Like another example I can think of.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#423 Post by AG » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:34 pm

neoballmon wrote: IMO, it feels a little pretentious, looks quite ugly, and it doesn't match in with the Aquatic center's design, or even the station below (although that will be demolished - also quite stupid given it's only a few years old..)
So by this are we implying that we shouldn't have gone ahead and started building the new stands at Adelaide Oval because the existing stand was only 9 years old?

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#424 Post by jase111 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Just like the dts with no funding at least there is a cost with this one

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#425 Post by claybro » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:57 pm

Probably a reasonable outcome, given that the overpass is desperately needed at that intersection. That the existing station has to go is not really relevant (just a pity so much money was spent), at least there will be a functional well visable interchange closer to the Civic/Aquatic centre etc.. Without seeing the plans, I do hope there are well defined, brightly lit and signposted pathways to better intergrate with the Aquatic centre and Westfield.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#426 Post by neoballmon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:34 pm

AG wrote:
neoballmon wrote: IMO, it feels a little pretentious, looks quite ugly, and it doesn't match in with the Aquatic center's design, or even the station below (although that will be demolished - also quite stupid given it's only a few years old..)
So by this are we implying that we shouldn't have gone ahead and started building the new stands at Adelaide Oval because the existing stand was only 9 years old?
I don't know enough about the Adelaide Oval development to really comment on this one.
But I actually meant it was stupid for them to upgrade the station. I'm sure fixing this crossing hasn't just popped up on the government's 'to do list' in the last couple of years, they've always known it had to be done, so why do a decent long lasting fix instead of a quick fix that only needs to last a short time?
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#427 Post by jase111 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:25 pm

That's not how we roll in S.A. think obahn ,expressway (southern) ,and a freeway that finishes 10 km from the nearest freeway standard road

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#428 Post by monotonehell » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:27 pm

jase111 wrote:That's not how we roll in S.A. think obahn ,expressway (southern) ,and a freeway that finishes 10 km from the nearest freeway standard road
Why's the obahn on your list?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#429 Post by jase111 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:44 pm

I think in the long run it will become a rail line . We have to commit to the long run with it . Eg bring it into the city via a dedicated route NOT on a current road but a separate busway all the way to north terrace

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#430 Post by jase111 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:50 pm

Or make it a rail line

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#431 Post by Nort » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:14 am

For what it is the O-Bahn is fantastic. It's a road exclusively for use for buses, and does that job in a really good way.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#432 Post by Hooligan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:30 pm

Nort wrote: It's a road exclusively for use for buses
ORLY?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

mm42
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#433 Post by mm42 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:36 pm

I am surprised the render shows a station with 2 side platforms rather than an island platform (as on the South Road tram overpass). With an island platform, the foundations and pillars would be either side of the current tracks, and could all be prepared while the line is still operating. Then with perhaps a one-month shutdown, precast concrete beams could placed over the the pillars and the line reopened. Melbourne has done some good grade separations with shutdowns of less than a month.

An island platform also saves on the costs of lifts and their maintenance. The design shown requires 4 lifts, whereas an island platform requires only 2.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#434 Post by AG » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:58 pm

mm42 wrote:I am surprised the render shows a station with 2 side platforms rather than an island platform (as on the South Road tram overpass). With an island platform, the foundations and pillars would be either side of the current tracks, and could all be prepared while the line is still operating. Then with perhaps a one-month shutdown, precast concrete beams could placed over the the pillars and the line reopened. Melbourne has done some good grade separations with shutdowns of less than a month.

An island platform also saves on the costs of lifts and their maintenance. The design shown requires 4 lifts, whereas an island platform requires only 2.
I do agree with this analogy. The piers on the west side of Diagonal Road would still end up penetrating the existing station to some extent though - workable, but it would require modifications to the existing platforms. Precast concrete job.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: PRO: Oaklands Rail Overpass

#435 Post by mattblack » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:35 pm

A few renders up on DPTI website

http://dpti.sa.gov.au/oaklandspark