News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: CBD Development: General

#1336 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:58 pm

I'm not sure if they have actually finished yet... I went for walk down that area last Tuesday night and a big chunk of Pirie Street was closed off due to major works happening at Telstra.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1337 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:16 pm

Also while this is more road related, Seven News did a story on people wanting to make the city more car-friendly (cough). Though the part that interested the most was the State Government is looking at finally closing that dangerous slip lane at the intersection of North Terrace and King William Street.

This is a big win in my books. That slip lane can be so dangerous for pedestrians, especially that there is not even pedestrian signals installed either.

The sooner it's gone the better IMO. Heres the link

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1338 Post by jk1237 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:37 pm

that particular slip lane has always been dangerous so I hope it will be fixed up soon. The average car driver takes no notice of people at that spot.

However I can't help thinking about a simple thing that many cities around the world have that seem to work, that no one in our state transport planning department can even grasp the concept of-

Zebra Crossings

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1339 Post by Ho Really » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:23 pm

There's no need to get rid of this "slip lane" as it is also the main entrance to Government House. Logically the first things that come to mind are pedestrian signals or a Zebra Crossing. Other alternatives are: introducing a speed hump or forcing traffic around the Boer War memorial (and placing removable bollards at the slip lane entrance off King William Road).

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#1340 Post by neoballmon » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:51 pm

I don't think a regular zebra crossing would be enough to change the mentality of drivers, and many of the idiots will still cross.
I also think traffic lights will cause many delays with the left turn lane, and with the amount of foot traffic in the area, would also fill the island very quickly before sequences.
A more costly solution could be extending the island to the kerb (leaving the Government House access) or just placing posts at the end, virtually closing this slip lane to traffic, and then chopping of the western side of the island and putting in a standard turn left lane.
But my preferred solution, a raised zebra crossing, between the two present crossings (and possibly fencing off the current ones temporarily, to keep pedestrians to the new one) restricting cars to around 30km/h to go over it, and they'll notice pedestrians much better and not cause a hazard. Orange pedestrian crossing lights could also be installed, to further warn drivers.

Also, the first girl interviewed in the linked video, a good friend of mine :)
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1341 Post by Brando » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:38 am

mshagg wrote:
Pikey wrote:Really good, very white, but a massive improvement.

What's been touted as the largest television in SA in being installed there too! You should see the mounting brackets. I was told it's 250", and judging by the size of the equipment needed, it wouldn't doubt it!
I thought the new plaza area looked a bit rough, I hope it's not finished.

i.e. concrete barriers/walls are very rough with lots of chips, steps still show signs of filler etc.
Temp fencing up around the plaza area, so maybe you're right. Could be doing some touch up work.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1342 Post by jk1237 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:51 pm

neoballmon wrote:

But my preferred solution, a raised zebra crossing, between the two present crossings (and possibly fencing off the current ones temporarily, to keep pedestrians to the new one) restricting cars to around 30km/h to go over it, and they'll notice pedestrians much better and not cause a hazard. Orange pedestrian crossing lights could also be installed, to further warn drivers.
agree entirely

and I havent heard any more news of when the 40km/h limit will be introduced. Its long overdue, I just hope the city council wont give into the car lobby

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#1343 Post by Ben » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:16 am

Sounds like a big renovation...
Type: Development Application Received
Application Number: DA/750/2012
Lodgement Date: 29/10/2012
Description: Internal and external alterations to existing night club and increase capacity from 200 to 450 persons.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1344 Post by Ben » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:18 am

The regent Arcade cinemas are coming back to life with an upgrade of arcade lane with bars aswell.

Waewick

#1345 Post by Waewick » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:50 pm

are they really putting a cinema back in ? how many screens?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1346 Post by Ben » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Waewick wrote:are they really putting a cinema back in ? how many screens?
Just 4

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1347 Post by Will » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:04 pm

Great news!

This is exactly the kind of thing the CBD needs.

[Shuz]

#1348 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:32 pm

Great news! Really pleased about this outcome. :-)
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1349 Post by crawf » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:33 pm

Isn't the original cinema space taken up by Globalize and now the Red Cross?.

The concept sounds promising, though I am a little worried that a four-screen cinema will survive in the city considering the already strong competition in the suburbs. Even the Palace Nova is more than double the size.

There is no doubt there is demand for a mainstream cinema in the city, though it needs to have a good variety of movies.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#1350 Post by Allkai » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:49 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nation ... 6509848442
The Ginos Group has proposed splitting two existing cinemas, which currently resemble bare shells, into four state-of-the-art gold-class theatres with a new candy bar.
Each intimate theatre will seat between 40 and 50 patrons and screen the latest Hollywood blockbusters.
Patrons will gain access to the theatre from a repaved and upgraded Arcade Lane, which will feature a new balcony, canopy, landscaping, plus lifts and stairs to take patrons to the first-floor cinemas.