News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport

#811 Post by mattblack » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:49 pm

Vee wrote:As previously announced in this thread, the new priority bus lanes - along Anzac Highway from Greenhill Rd and West Terrace into the city (to Gouger St) and from the city (Gilbert St) along West Terrace and Anzac Highway to Greenhill Rd - come into force at 7am on Monday Nov. 26.
See map:
http://dpti.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/ma ... ne_project

The Currie and Grenfell St. (7am-7pm) priority bus lanes have reportedly been a success, with improvements to bus running times/ meeting schedules.

Looking to the next round, North Terrace is my focus, especially the need to facilitate movement of emergency vehicles.
Buses move very slowly along this stretch. Looking to the future as well as current location of the hospital, we need a rapid route for emergency vehicles along North Terrace. An extended 7am-7pm clearway would eliminate the curse of the parked car but would need to be designated for bus/emergency/taxi use only.
Difficulties: delivery vehicles, disability access/taxi pickup/setdown would need to be catered for.

Could a priority bus lane be added as well as extended clearway? Difficult. Too many parking stations on North Terrace? Alternatives? Through-city vehicles would need to make better use of the inner ring route around the park lands.

Is it time to start thinking of reducing vehicular traffic and increasing the focus on public transport on North Terrace? I would love to see the tram eventually service the remainder of North Terrace - cultural boulevarde and education precinct plus Botanic Gardens. Great for visitors and locals. Dreaming?

Nth Tce wont be the next off the rank. Look out for further changes to the rest of West Tce in the comming months. Franklin Flinders and KWS in the concils sight as well :D

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#812 Post by Eurostar » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:13 am

I like the idea of the Liberals getting the trains under the City, it will increase public transport usage, new lines to the east would be expensive but could overtake the Labors 10% increase. If we had a line to West Beach via the Adelaide Airport it would increase public transit usage more.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#813 Post by mattblack » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Eurostar wrote:I like the idea of the Liberals getting the trains under the City, it will increase public transport usage, new lines to the east would be expensive but could overtake the Labors 10% increase. If we had a line to West Beach via the Adelaide Airport it would increase public transit usage more.
The ACC just released the Smart Move Strategy which outlines objectives for the next 10 years and this was part of it. It had full backing from State Gov & DPTI so it is not just a 'Liberal' vision.
Last edited by mattblack on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poccari
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: News & Discussion: MetroCard System

#814 Post by poccari » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Has anyone yet deconstructed a metrocard to see its innards?
The reason I ask is that if it's just a chip, I could cut it out and have something smaller, like on my keyring, or attached to my phone etc. Having this smaller may have its benefits.

I know that some other cards (like in Japan) have a chip, however an aerial runs around the entire perimeter of the card for it to work.

Just wondering before my inquisitiveness gets the better of me and I fork out $5 to satisfy my curiosity.

Or has anyone done an X-ray, or know where the brains of the card is before I start cutting?

*edit for typo*

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#815 Post by DM8 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:49 pm

I haven't yet butchered a card to find out 100%, but to my knowledge, the bit that matters is a roughly 10mm x 5mm chip sitting almost entirely within the AdelaideMetro logo.
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

poccari
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#816 Post by poccari » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:13 pm

Oh, yeah, I can see the faint outline of it on the back. I think I'll try my hand at seeing if I can cut it out and use that bit only. May be a good thing to have a backup on my keyring or something if anything happens to my wallet, I can still get home etc.
I'll get around to it hopefully later this week and let you know if it works.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#817 Post by muzzamo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:20 pm

Deconstructing the chip is an awesome idea... I wonder if you could use a SIM cutter :-p

poccari
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#818 Post by poccari » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Although it may not go down well with ticket inspectors.....

I know that the oyster card in London has an aerial running around the edge, so this may not work. Time will tell.

poccari
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#819 Post by poccari » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:13 am

Yeah, dont cut up your metrocard. It does have an aerial running around the perimeter of the card, so if you just cut out the card around the chip, the card will no longer work.
You could possibly make your own aerial and attach it to the exposed wires (and have it coiled on the back), but it's too much hassle for me.
Oh well. *sigh*

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#820 Post by monotonehell » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Gawd do I have to Google everything for you people? ;)

Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#821 Post by Allkai » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:30 am

poccari wrote:Oh, yeah, I can see the faint outline of it on the back. I think I'll try my hand at seeing if I can cut it out and use that bit only. May be a good thing to have a backup on my keyring or something if anything happens to my wallet, I can still get home etc.
I'll get around to it hopefully later this week and let you know if it works.
Only AFTER they kick off online recharging..... :lol:

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#822 Post by claybro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Seems the new Anzac HWY West Terrace bus lanes have really got the Advertiser letters writers into a lather. Do these people not realise the days of commuting into the city by private cars occupied by one person are numbered and that such a practice is completely un sustainable? Granted the public transport cross suburbs is not great, but travelling into the city in peak hour by private car? There really is no excuse.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#823 Post by mattblack » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:47 am

Summer edition of New Connections is out. Enjoy.

http://infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__data/ ... ons_12.pdf

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#824 Post by crawf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Finally a pic of the new trains!

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#825 Post by peas_and_corn » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:38 pm

The other day I held my wallet up to the EFTPOS machine to pay with the credit card tap and go thing, and I was too lazy to take my card out. The machine said "one card at a time". My MetroCard was the only other card with a chip that was in my wallet, and it was a little behind where the credit card was. Interesting, I guess?