[COM] 50 Flinders St | 63m | 15lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: PRO: 50 Flinders St | ~60m | 15lvls | Office

#46 Post by claybro » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:52 am

Im in two minds here. Yes the facade is interesting, but once again there is no set back from the street. Adelaide is paranoid about height so as not to create overshadowing or wind tunnels, and yet we continue to build boxes, right up to corners and streets, all of very uniform height, well this is causing overshadowing and wind tunnels as well. once again how about a building, angled across the corner to create a bit of a plaza on that corner some light and air, maybe a tree or parklet, and add another 10 storeys? Would look far less imposing from the street, and much nicer on the skyline.

bva
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by bva » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:32 am

i think you are forgettng that the market loves square floorplates to occupy modern open plan offices
ideally around 2000sq ft.
i have seen in a market driven environment such as adelaide this would strongly govern the architect's brief

claybro

#48 Post by claybro » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:12 am

bva wrote:i think you are forgettng that the market loves square floorplates to occupy modern open plan offices
i have seen in a market driven environment such as adelaide this would strongly govern the architect's brief
So Adelaide now has this special" market requirement" that means square floorplates of 2000sqft? By that rationale I guess commonwealth bank building, Telstra and Westpac must be having big problems utilising their floor plates.No other city seems to have so many issues about bulding anything other than a 15 storey box.More likely conservative architects fearing rejection from conservative clients, fearing problems by a conservative council.

Waewick

#49 Post by Waewick » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:06 pm

claybro wrote:
bva wrote:i think you are forgettng that the market loves square floorplates to occupy modern open plan offices
So Adelaide now has this special" market requirement" that means square floorplates of 2000sqft? By that rationale I guess commonwealth bank building, Telstra and Westpac must be having big problems utilising their floor plates.No other city seems to have so many issues about bulding anything other than a 15 storey box.More likely conservative architects fearing rejection from conservative clients, fearing problems by a conservative council.
He is right to a degree, Adelaide firms love the single floor open office strucutre, national firms do to because what they have here is generally call centres so it is easily managed.

We don't have a large enough Botique market, by that I mean businesses that want to make a statement with the building they are in or a developer that wants to do the same thing.

You only have to look at the tenancy profile of 400 King William St to see what the Government want...and they make up the vast majority of office space in the city.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by monotonehell » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:30 pm

claybro wrote: Telstra ... must be having big problems utilising their floor plates.
Well yes, when I was working there the small floor plates were a constant challenge. Can't give you an anecdote on the other buildings.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by ml69 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Large floor plates are a trend nationally (and I dare say internationally).

Look at the floor plates in recent large developments intgerstate, they are typically > 1500sqm. BHP Tower in Perth, for example, has 71,000sqm over 47 floors.

I worked in a newly-constructed office building in Sydney a couple of years ago, whch was completed in 2009. Though only 9 storeys, it had floor plates of 2500sqm per floor (i reckon it would have been about 80m in length).

Waewick

#52 Post by Waewick » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:02 am

monotonehell wrote:
claybro wrote: Telstra ... must be having big problems utilising their floor plates.
Well yes, when I was working there the small floor plates were a constant challenge. Can't give you an anecdote on the other buildings.
When I was working in Westpac house it was a nightmare.

claybro

#53 Post by claybro » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:04 pm

Ok yes I get it. Looks like the short boxes are here to stay. :( Just a shame our prominant corners do not have something more imaginative in store. Also for the record, I think the new BHP building in Perth is overbearing, and completely dominates the skyline from Kings Park, and also blocks the city from the river. But as with SA I guess what BHP want...they get. Big is not always better.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#54 Post by ml69 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:37 pm

claybro wrote:Ok yes I get it. Looks like the short boxes are here to stay. :( Just a shame our prominant corners do not have something more imaginative in store. Also for the record, I think the new BHP building in Perth is overbearing, and completely dominates the skyline from Kings Park, and also blocks the city from the river. But as with SA I guess what BHP want...they get. Big is not always better.
The trend to large floor plates also means it will be almost impossible for an office building to be our next tallest in the Adelaide CBD. An office building taller than Westpac House would probably have to be at least 45,000sqm (31 levels x 1400sqm per level) hich would be enormous in the Adelaide market.

A residential tower or office/residential tower more likely to be next tallest. This trend can also be seen in the eastern state capital .... the tallest towers of the last 10 years are all residential.

I'll stop here getting off topic.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#55 Post by Shahkar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:45 am

AdelaideNow wrote:Flinders St mixed use development secures second major tenant, meets pre-commitment requirements to commence project
Giuseppe Tauriello
February 26, 2013 12:00AM

Artist's impression of new office building at 50 Flinders Street, Adelaide, to be built by Commercial & General, and leased by People's Choice Credit Union as their new national headquarters.

PEOPLE'S Choice Credit Union will be delivered new $140 million headquarters, the project developer having secured another major tenant to anchor the building.

Adelaide-based developer Commercial & General will start negotiations with builders to complete the mixed-use project at 50 Flinders St, with works scheduled to start in July.

"We believe we've satisfied the required level of pre-commitment to commence the project," Commercial & General managing director Jamie McClurg said.

"We are working on a planning consent - we would anticipate we would get that mid-next month."

The country's second largest credit union committed to occupy 10,000sq m, or half of the new building's footprint, in 2011.

Mr McClurg would not disclose the second tenant that had committed to a further 5000sq m in the building, but it is understood the state's biggest company, Santos, is the partnering tenant.

The oil and gas producer's head office is at 60 Flinders St, and a component of its workforce is based at refurbished office space at 30 Flinders St, under a short-term lease.

It is understood those staff will relocate after the new building is completed, towards the end of 2015. About 400 Santos staff could occupy the 5000sq m of space.

"There are not too many tenants around that can underpin a single building with enough commitment," Mr McClurg said.

"And I'm confident we'll be able to secure tenants to complete the project before the development is completed in full."

Jones Lang LaSalle director Tom Budarick, who negotiated the leasing of the project, said it was good news for the Adelaide office market.

"Any large commitment, particularly one that results in new construction, will generate some positive sentiment and excitement in the market," he said.

"Negotiations remain challenging and continue to take time but the commitments to Flinders St demonstrate that there is demand for good quality space in the right locations."

The new five-star, energy-efficient building will replace People's Choice's current base, which is about 30 years old.

Mr Budarick said 50 Flinders St was particularly exciting, given the size of the development and because of its prominent location.

"We are continuing discussions with tenants and hope to have at least one further floor committed in coming months," he said.

Meanwhile, discount supermarket chain Aldi's intention to find a northern-suburbs site for its distribution centre - to support up to 50 stores across the state - has sparked the interest of Commercial & General, which holds significant land-holdings in the north.

Mr McClurg said there were few facilities in the north that would meet Aldi's requirements.

"We have plans on the drawing board for a site we own that sits between Coca-Cola, National Foods and Bickfords in the Cross Keys food precinct and that's large enough to take two operators of that size," he said.

"Certainly we'll be watching that brief and seeing if we can offer an opportunity."

Santos declined to comment on the lease deal.

[Shuz]

#56 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:30 am

Oh my god.

THIS ONE DOESN'T HAVE A BLANK WESTERN WALL.

IT CAN BE DONE. :banana:
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#57 Post by Brando » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:09 am

[Shuz] wrote:Oh my god.

THIS ONE DOESN'T HAVE A BLANK WESTERN WALL.

IT CAN BE DONE. :banana:
That's because the western wall is Gawler Place.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#58 Post by Will » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:52 am

Good news we are getting an office tower in the current environment, however the article highlights the short-sightedness shown by Santos when they built their HQ back in 2007.

Waewick

#59 Post by Waewick » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:58 am

Will wrote:Good news we are getting an office tower in the current environment, however the article highlights the short-sightedness shown by Santos when they built their HQ back in 2007.
ahh, but look at the positive...in a few years time they might look at getting another building built to house the entire team :cheers:

skyliner

#60 Post by skyliner » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Gawler place looks like a real canyon when viewed from either end - not complaining - has a real 'city' presence about it.Like the bldg.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.