The Federal Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: The Federal Politics Thread

#211 Post by Nathan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Now here's an interesting little policy to drop just two days before an election.
The Liberals plan to introduce an opt-out internet filter.

http://www.zdnet.com/au/australian-oppo ... 000020270/

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#212 Post by dsriggs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Nathan wrote:Now here's an interesting little policy to drop just two days before an election.

Oh, fantastic :wallbash:

Waewick

#213 Post by Waewick » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Nathan wrote:Now here's an interesting little policy to drop just two days before an election.

it has been denied by Turnball

rhino

#214 Post by rhino » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:34 am

Waewick wrote:it has been denied by Turnball
Turnball :) . Yes, that was amusing. He announced it, then promptly turned around and said they would move away from that policy and denounce it. I suspect it was one of Tony's "Captain's Decisions" that he failed to discuss with his Minister for the Internet, who actually has a far better understanding of things than his Captain does.
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#215 Post by Waewick » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:58 am

bloody bizzare policy that is for sure.

I'm voting independent anyways..hopefully they keep the Libs honest,

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#216 Post by monotonehell » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:09 pm

Waewick wrote:bloody bizzare policy that is for sure.

I'm voting independent anyways..hopefully they keep the Libs honest,
I hope you're also voting below the line. All the preference deals been done this election are bizarre and often counter to what people would think.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#217 Post by monotonehell » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:45 pm

I thought I would review the election commitment costings as per the much touted "Charter of Budget Honesty Policy Costing Guidelines – 2012". Remember that?
http://electioncostings.gov.au/

Interesting.

ALP costings: more than I can be bothered counting (70+)
Greens costings: more than I can be bothered counting (70+)
Coalition costings: zip, zero, nada, not a sausage (0)

So much for being able to balance the books. "Bullet proof, trust me, " is what a con man would say.

Looks like I'll be voting Greens this year and preferencing Labor higher than the Coalition. I'm not cool with what Labor has done, but in a two horse race they are the better bet. Too many of the Coalition's policies are potentially damaging to the Nation and judging by the complete lack of budget honesty, not thought through.

It's a sad state of affairs when our choices are bad or worse.

rhino

#218 Post by rhino » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Reckon I will be following your lead there, Mono. You pretty much summed up what I was thinking.
cheers,
Rhino

[Shuz]

#219 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Likewise,

I was going to give Labor my number 1 on the HoR ticket, but reckon I will give it to either one of the minor parties, the Greens or Palmer United so that they get the $2.49 in funding, but then direct the second preference to Labor, so that they might change their policy direction on a couple of matters - i.e. rather than investigate High Speed Rail, actually go ahead with the construction of it, that sort of thing. There was a good comic that went around on social media a couple of weeks ago that explained the preferencing system but I've no idea where it came from.

Senate allocations are a complete mindfuck, but I've already had a quick think about it and worked out roughly which parties will go where, with the exception of deliberately preferencing some of the oddballs like Sarah Hanson Young and Cori Bernardi down last with the fundamentalist Christian groups - Australian Christians, Family First, Rise Up Australia, et. al.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#220 Post by monotonehell » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:47 pm

[Shuz] wrote:There was a good comic that went around on social media a couple of weeks ago that explained the preferencing system but I've no idea where it came from.
:cry:
Shuz is voting below the line. Me so happy. BTW I posted that comic in response to you being a Dingo ;)
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 42#p118442
[Shuz] wrote:Senate allocations are a complete mindfuck, but I've already had a quick think about it and worked out roughly which parties will go where, with the exception of deliberately preferencing some of the oddballs like Sarah Hanson Young and Cori Bernardi down last with the fundamentalist Christian groups - Australian Christians, Family First, Rise Up Australia, et. al.
There's a couple of websites which allow you to make and print your own how to vote card from home, so you get a chance to google the names you don't recognise to see exactly how insane they are http://www.belowtheline.org.au/ is one.

Aidan

#221 Post by Aidan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:47 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Likewise,

I was going to give Labor my number 1 on the HoR ticket, but reckon I will give it to either one of the minor parties, the Greens or Palmer United so that they get the $2.49 in funding, but then direct the second preference to Labor, so that they might change their policy direction on a couple of matters - i.e. rather than investigate High Speed Rail, actually go ahead with the construction of it, that sort of thing. There was a good comic that went around on social media a couple of weeks ago that explained the preferencing system but I've no idea where it came from.
If that's the case I suggest giving your first preference to the Greens, as they need the money whereas Palmer United is probably the best funded party in Australia already!

High speed rail does need to be investigated before it's constructed, otherwise we'll pay billions more for an inferior route.
Senate allocations are a complete mindfuck, but I've already had a quick think about it and worked out roughly which parties will go where, with the exception of deliberately preferencing some of the oddballs like Sarah Hanson Young and Cori Bernardi down last with the fundamentalist Christian groups - Australian Christians, Family First, Rise Up Australia, et. al.
Why do you consider Sarah Hanson Young an oddball?

Are Family First really fundamentalist? if so, they've done a good job of hiding it!

Are Rise Up Australia really a Christian group? My impression so far has been that they're a clone of One Nation.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Aidan

#222 Post by Aidan » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:09 am

Forgot to post this link earlier: Crikey's guide to porkbarrelling.
http://www.crikey.com.au/2013/09/04/a-c ... -election/

SA gets less money from the ALP than any other state or significant territory.
And from the Liberals we get than half that, unless you include the money for upgrading South Road that they'd pay for by cutting funding for upgrading South Road.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Waewick

#223 Post by Waewick » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:58 pm

well, I voted below the line..... :oops:

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#224 Post by dsriggs » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:47 pm

So there's a chance that Xenophon might bring a second into the Senate with him. Add that to Sarah Hanson-Young getting back in & it looks like South Australians might be holding the balance of power for once :banana:

Still a lot more votes to be counted though, obviously.

rhino

#225 Post by rhino » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:41 am

Well, if anything good came out of Saturday's election, I think that the Australian people have told Labor that they're fed up with the infighting and want a clear leader, and I think they've/we've told the Co-alition that we really don't trust them with an outright mandate, and there are going to be checks and balances on everything they are proposing. Possibly we'll get a stronger more united Labor party out of this, and possibly some of Abbott's ideals won't make it though Senate scrutiny.

It will be interesting to see if we really do get a double dissolution if the carbon tax scrapping and a few other things don't get through. Our new opposition need to get themselves sorted soon, just in case.
cheers,
Rhino