News & Developments: Glenelg

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
bva
High Rise Poster!

Re: Glenelg | Developments & News

#376 Post by bva » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:03 pm

i have, pretty apt for the area around jetty road
brighton, probably goes for burnside by the sea

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#377 Post by Goya's Line » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:26 pm

[Shuz] wrote:You're telling fibs. I've never ever heard anyone say that.
[Ben] wrote:Neithier have I
You know everyone in Adelaide? Now who's telling fibs?

In fairness it's more a reference to dodgy nightlife than residents (and I took it about as seriously as I do the Holdfast Council).

Vee
Legendary Member!

#378 Post by Vee » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Interesting idea to provide a temporary skating rink in Moseley Square to attract more visitors, locals to Glenelg, as part of a Winter Wonderland Festival.
Glenelg to become winter wonderland with ice skating rink during colder months
ADELAIDE'S most famous summer beach will become a winter wonderland next year, as Glenelg becomes home to a temporary ice-skating rink.

The rink will become Glenelg's coolest attraction for a month from next June, as part of a plan to lure more visitors to the Bay during the cooler months.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 6769333101

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#379 Post by Will » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:24 pm

Interesting yet ridiculous.

From the Messenger:
Adelaide Oval upgrade designer Mott MacDonald to draw up concept plans for Glenelg jetty six-star hotel

John Stokes Guardian Messenger •
Guardian Messenger •
February 27, 2014 2:57PM

BUILDING a six-star hotel, a tram line and a research centre on Glenelg jetty is being investigated as part of a multi-million dollar development to boost the Bay.

The Jetty Road Mainstreet Committee has agreed to pay consultant Mott MacDonald $35,000 to “further develop concept plans for their Glenelg Jetty proposal”.

Mott MacDonald was the company responsible for the design and project management of the $450 million Adelaide Oval upgrade.

TELL US BELOW: What do you think of the plan?

Holdfast Bay councillors were briefed on early uncosted plans last year, which included a hotel, a South Australian Research & Development Institute centre and running trams along the length of the jetty.

Former South Australian Cricket Association chief Mike Deare is one of the driving forces behind the project.

Mr Deare, who owns a cafe on Jetty Rd, first presented his plan to the traders’ committee in October.

The traders’ decision to spend the money to work on the proposal won the support of Holdfast Bay Council, at a meeting on Tuesday night.

Jetty Rd Mainstreet Management Committee chairman Mark Faulkner was tight-lipped about the jetty plan this week, saying it was too soon to reveal details.

“We’re looking at options of what’s the best thing to do as a major project down here,” Mr Faulkner said.

“There’s nothing concrete – it’ll be quite a while before there’s anything to release.”

A council report said the proposal was “unique to Mott MacDonald and therefore there are no other likely businesses able to develop the proposal.”

The report said the company had shown an interest in developing Glenelg and could take the concept “to a stage where it may be considered by both state and federal Governments”.

The Guardian Messenger has sought comment from Mr Deare, Mott McDonald and Holdfast Bay Council.

Holdfast Bay councillor Tim Looker said the plan had potential to lure more visitors to the Bay.

“Glenelg needs something outrageously imaginative, Glenelg needs a big idea” Cr Looker said.

“There is a concept being developed which may include a six star hotel – the idea is to draw it up to a stage where they can go and start hunting for cash.”

He said some residents might be worried about losing views and he would welcome feedback on the idea before supporting it.

“I’d wait to see what the community thought of a structure out there,” Cr Looker said.

“It’d probably be hugely popular but anyone living on the foreshore may not want to look at.”

He said a new jetty might need to be built to replace the existing one for the project to be successful.

He did not know when the concept plans would be completed and made public.

Cr Bob Patton, who sits on the mainstreet committee, told the council meeting the plan was a “long distance” idea.

“If we look far ahead it could be very successful for this city,” Cr Patton said.

He said it was too early to comment further

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#380 Post by Aidan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:38 am

How many stars has the existing hotel?
And by what criteria would a new one be six star? (Officially it only goes up to five)
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

[Shuz]

#381 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:27 am

Yeah, nah.

It's never gonna happen.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#382 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:33 am

[Shuz] wrote:Yeah, nah.

It's never gonna happen.
Also it shouldn't happen. This would be a monstrous waste of time and money. Don't ruin the gulf view with a white elephant. It's not like there isn't plenty of room on the dry side of the beach for development.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#383 Post by Ben » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:56 am

Geez, give the guys a chance to come up with the concept before dismissing it... leave your mind open.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#384 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:00 pm

Ben wrote:Geez, give the guys a chance to come up with the concept before dismissing it... leave your mind open.
Normally I'd agree with you but the three planks of this concept are;
* rebuild the jetty to make it larger,
* trams on the jetty,
* a building above the sea.

Unless the building is deep underwater, there's no proposal that would sit on the water and not ruin the view.

metro
Legendary Member!

#385 Post by metro » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:19 pm

6 star hotel at end of jetty makes me think of this:

although for Adelaide I imagine a much smaller and a much more conservative design. The idea sounds good but like the recent developments in Glenelg it will either never happen, and if it does happen then it will be very tacky.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#386 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:41 pm

This is probably what the developer has in mind...

Although this will probably be the result...

skyliner

#387 Post by skyliner » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:19 pm

can't see it ever happening - too many nimby's and too adventurous to do on low expenditure.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

ChillyPhilly

#388 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:58 pm

monotonehell wrote:This is probably what the developer has in mind...

Although this will probably be the result...
Summed up well :lol:
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#389 Post by pushbutton » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:42 am

I think this idea is interesting, and worth exploring.

However according to the article the council are paying this guy $35,000 just to draw up concept plans. If that's the case, it's a ridiculous waste and I would like to offer my services right now. For only $10,000 I will definitely be able to find someone who can draw up these plans, and I'll just take an, erm, token fee for my efforts!

Can't stand it when public money is wasted like this.

That issue aside, it's not a bad idea. However there's very little point building more hotels unless they also have plans to build things for people to do whilst they're staying in the hotels. I wonder if that's been thought about, or were they under the illusion that the Beachouse is sufficient to attract people to pay 6 star prices?

Waewick

#390 Post by Waewick » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:04 pm

pushbutton wrote:I think this idea is interesting, and worth exploring.

However according to the article the council are paying this guy $35,000 just to draw up concept plans. If that's the case, it's a ridiculous waste and I would like to offer my services right now. For only $10,000 I will definitely be able to find someone who can draw up these plans, and I'll just take an, erm, token fee for my efforts!

Can't stand it when public money is wasted like this.

That issue aside, it's not a bad idea. However there's very little point building more hotels unless they also have plans to build things for people to do whilst they're staying in the hotels. I wonder if that's been thought about, or were they under the illusion that the Beachouse is sufficient to attract people to pay 6 star prices?
Are you sure you can do the same job for 10k? Or do you mean you could get some thing similar

A bit like not having a restaurant steak because you can get something similar out the front of bunnings.