[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Waz
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#3646 Post by Waz » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:54 pm

I plan on riding my bike to the football next year... I hope they fix this...
You hear it here first...

joshyboy
Gold-Member ;)

#3647 Post by joshyboy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:32 am

Waz wrote:I plan on riding my bike to the football next year... I hope they fix this...
If they don't, just chain it to a tree or a fence. Just as effective :P

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3648 Post by skyliner » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:28 pm

Sellours each day!! 33000, then 35500 but I don't know the figure for Sat. Anyone know this? It's world level quality now!

And what a match - Johnson took out 7 for 40 runs. Great PR for Adelaide in the process and great confidence booster.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#3649 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:12 pm

skyliner wrote:Sellours each day!! 33000, then 35500 but I don't know the figure for Sat. Anyone know this? It's world level quality now!

And what a match - Johnson took out 7 for 40 runs. Great PR for Adelaide in the process and great confidence booster.

Sat 36,414

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3650 Post by jk1237 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:16 pm

Just got back from todays play, was announced over 36,000. Was my first time for a test match in the SACA members, wow I reckon a third of the people in the members have zero interest in cricket, and simply attend for the social scene and Pimses in the village green, quite an event. Did enjoy it, especially since my mate got me in for free.

As for the southern stand, its brilliant. I love the huge rooftop bar on Level 5 over looking the city, its just spectacular, couldn't really see it from the construction photos as its above the corporate/dining room facilities that also overlooks the riverbank. However its so bizarre just how many times you have to scan your SACA membership to get here and there. I reckon there was about 300 staff in the southern stand alone simply just to keep the commoners out of the members parts. Oh well, employs lots of people which is good I guess

And as for the footbridge, its also so brilliant, and so quick and efficient to get back over to the city, and thousands are staying on in all the pop-up bars along the city side of the Torrens, and everyone is walking through the railway station as its the easiest, I hope they have actually put on extra/longer trains

I love it all, got a bit sunburnt though, despite sitting in the western stand

Vee
Legendary Member!

#3651 Post by Vee » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Spot on, Jk1237!
The crowd and atmosphere has been fantastic every day and the colourful Village Green, at the back of the Members, has been a huge buzz with quite a few enjoying the social scene and hardly seeing a ball bowled - in the same way many attend big race meetings and don't actually see a race!!

Today's cricket was sensational.
It was interesting to see the many official guests attending each day, including politicians, an ex-PM cricket tragic, TV celebs etc. lured by the Ashes test and the opportunity to experience the redeveloped Adelaide Oval.

There is a definite contrast in the number and location/availability of services eg toilets and hospitality between the Western and Southern stands and I dare say some of the crossings (and obligatory card scanning) were due to folk avoiding long queues for coffee behind the Western stand, especially on the cooler days.

Adelaide Oval Membership Services news has kept members updated with daily news emails, including the reason for the scanning of cards as members move between the Western and Southern stands. (Eg. Reserved seat stickers, available for members in the Western stand and Level 3 of the Riverbank stand, were extended for use on Level 5 of the Riverbank stand, following requests).

Yes, the footbridge has been an outstanding success with massive numbers of pedestrians crossing each day. The footbridge has coped well with the human surge exiting the Oval after stumps each day and the temporary closure time of 8pm is more than adequate for crowds to disperse.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3652 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:39 am

I love the new look Adelaide Oval, was 1% apprehensive before I walked in on Thursday, but as soon as I took in the vista and felt the vibe of the place I knew it was still 100% Adelaide Oval. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. :applause: :applause:

Nitpicking mode: I wish the ground announcer would get the little things right....The names of the ends at our ground are the (River) Torrens end and the Cathedral end. Not the City End and the Northern End. When the 'Footy stand'(Eastern;)) is complete it will be a cauldron of awesomeness for footy *and* cricket. very happy with how this turned out. I think we'll look back upon this development as a mentality changing moment for our city!! :banana: :banana: So much to be positive about..even the Advertiser cant be relentlessly negative about this!
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3653 Post by how good is he » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:13 am

Not a big deal but all the signage refers to it as the Riverbank (end) so maybe no longer the Torrens end.

joshyboy
Gold-Member ;)

#3654 Post by joshyboy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:34 pm

It was always River End and Cathedral End.
Ground announcer hasn't had it right for a few years now, despite my Tweets to SACA, and anyone else I thought would listen.
Riverbank Stand at the River End, the two names would work together nicely if they used it.

skyliner

#3655 Post by skyliner » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:55 pm

Port Adelaide Fan wrote:
skyliner wrote:Sellours each day!! 33000, then 35500 but I don't know the figure for Sat. Anyone know this? It's world level quality now!

Sat 36,414
Thanks Port Ad. Fan. A real buzz again today. Huge crowd. Would love to see attendance crack 40000. Seems everything is heavily organised re the efficient operation of the stands and linked facilities. Interesting reading about the social aspect - may become the catelyst of something of the style of a mini Melbourne cup if properly arranged/organised and publicised now the momentum has started. Just a thought.

I wonder how long it will be before the southern riverbank is lined with permanent catering businesses for the crowds - also wonder about the rather dead northen end of the station concourse.

Jack.

ghs

#3657 Post by ghs » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:42 pm

How about this for an idea........

Replicate the social area behind the members stand on the Eastern side of the ground. That way the
non - members will have a social area as well.

joshyboy
Gold-Member ;)

#3658 Post by joshyboy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:03 pm

ghs wrote:How about this for an idea........

Replicate the social area behind the members stand on the Eastern side of the ground. That way the
It'll up your ticket price...just warning you!

Nort

#3659 Post by Nort » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:09 am

Isn't that basically how the temporary bars on the other side of the bridge are functioning?

Waewick

#3660 Post by Waewick » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:24 am

ghs wrote:How about this for an idea........

I don't mean this too offensively.

but can imagine how trashed it would get? Not worth the effort.