News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

#16 Post by Cruise » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:55 pm

JAKJ wrote:
The government could easily raise 2 billion dollars worth of funds over 10 years... not a problem, hell they managed to pay off 6-7 billion dollars of debt (whatever state bank was) in about that time anyway.. and thats debt we didn't get anything from :cry:

On a side note it makes sense for governemnts to borrow for infrastructure, rather than have private development as governemnts will inevitably have a lower cost of capital than a private company (esp with a AAA credit rating)
good point, the toilet paper advertiser always winges when the state borrows money but what would they rather private investment? it seems somedays like the government cant do any thing right according to that very liberal paper. Also the State Bank Collapse cost us 3.1 billion that amount of money now over next ten years you could see an overhaul of public transport and a north south freeway but i cant see it happening because i do beleive this government as being to conservative.

Captain Howdy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#17 Post by Captain Howdy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:36 pm

I hope they can do this $2 bill thing. I'm deffinately in favour of more trams, they give a city character and buses are just so damn boring and annoying. Oh and the train windows - Oh.My.God! At least fork out a few bucks a week to get someone to wipe em down!

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by rogue » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:00 am

Tom wrote:hmm.......the state has a surplus of 11billion.......... :?
The entire state budget equals $11 (odd) billion and the last federal surplus was $14 billion.

If Adelaide needed an exceptional model to base a possible investment programme on, the Government should take a lesson from Transport for London. They have embarked on a massive 12.6 billion pound (circa AU$30 billion) 5 year Investment Programme. This programme was in progress prior to London being awarded the 2012 Olympics and was financed by government funding and prudent borrowing. The organisation has retained its AAA credit rating even though it has borrowed nearly 4 billion pounds thus far.

The programme covers all modes of Transport for London and includes London Underground, Surface Transport (Docklands Light Rail, Buses, Trams and major road projects), London Rail and a few others at Corporate level.

The piecemeal approach to Adelaide's ailing transport infrastructure network is clearly not working and bold reforms must take place to enhance Adelaide's public transport and improve efficiency and quality on roads.

I am not trying to compare the transport networks of the 2 cities as it would be like comparing chalk with cheese, but surely our government should be out there learning from others and incorporating best practise methodologies in transport planning.

The lack of a plan is cause for serious alarm.....

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by shuza » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:51 am

Well what should be more alarming is that we HAD a plan, 30 odd years ago and it was scrapped because of budgetary fears.

If for once, I'd like to see a goverment that comes into power that only cares about the things that it can accomplish in its 4 years of office, and not a goverment who 'waits' for each electoral oppurtunity to to the piecework for themselves, much like the Rann Goverment is doing with our tram network.

What is frustrating me, is that no independant commission has been set up or selected to assess Adelaide's transportation needs (which the RAA is more than happy to do) and then for a joint venture between the goverment and independent commission to achieve the targets and goals set in place using PPPs.

I would happily pay a toll to cover the costs of a freeway standard road between Adelaide and Victor, just as I would happily pay an extra dollar's tax to fund crucial public trasnport upgrades.
After all, good things come to those who wait... and Adelaide has been waiting for a long time, so its time we deserved high quality infrastructure upgrades (such as the airport for one!)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by crawf » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:44 pm

one word - money

You might be happy to pay to use a road, but i reacon majority of Adelaidians wouldnt be, it isnt popular on the east coast - i doubt it will be here either.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

News & Discussion: MetroCard System

#21 Post by AG » Thu May 31, 2007 3:53 pm

$225,000 loss - but tickets stay
ANNA VLACH, TRANSPORT REPORTER
May 31, 2007 02:15am
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
ADELAIDE'S 20-year-old Metroticket system will not be replaced for at least four years, despite it costing taxpayers about $225,000 annually in lost revenue.

Bus, train and tram travellers regularly are given free trips because of faulty Metrotickets and/or malfunctioning Crouzet machines used to validate them.

A Transport Department spokesman said yesterday there were only 50 ticket failures per 10,000 validations.

"The majority of these ticket failures are caused by stray magnetic fields damaging the tickets, with the rest of failures due to either physical damage to the ticket or equipment failure," he said.

Adding to problems, Crouzet machines no longer are manufactured but spare units and parts are available. "The existing ticketing system continues to meet the current needs but it will need to be replaced at some point in the next four to five years," the spokesman said.

SmartCards, being introduced in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, were being considered, he said.

"The Public Transport Division is closely monitoring the situation in those cities so South Australia can learn from their experience," he said. Opposition transport spokesman Duncan McFetridge said mismanagement by the State Government was responsible for the delay in replacing the Multitrip system which he said was "well past its use-by date". The cost of a SmartCard system, which would be in the millions, also was likely to be a factor, he said.

"The bottom line is not what a new system costs, but what it will return in efficiencies and revenue," Mr McFetridge said.

Travelling home from the city by tram yesterday, registered nurse Shannon Walter-Engelsma, 31, of Goodwood, said SmartCards were a good idea. "Three times within a month I went to use a (Metroticket) multitrip and it didn't work, which is a bit much," she said. "When it happens you get a free trip but then you have to go and replace the ticket and they don't know why it doesn't work."

Lobby group People for Public Transport's secretary Margaret Dingle said SmartCards would be welcome, providing casual public transport users had a pay-as-you-board option.

duke
High Rise Poster!

Re: Ticketing System

#22 Post by duke » Thu May 31, 2007 7:11 pm

I remember hearing over 5 years ago they were looking at getting smart card systems. I have been waiting for it to happen, but I guess this means it wont be happening for a long time still.

I want a system where they send me a bill every few months or the ability to put credit on my card via credit card over the net.
Its annoying having to get tickets all the time.

I saw a system on TV a wile ago in a European country. I think it could have been Germany. Basically you put a RFID type tag in your phone behind your battery and case. When you walk onto the bus, you just wave your phone in front of a flat panel. I think it came up with a cost on the screen and you took your seat.

Easy and everyone these days have phones. If they don't then the tag can be embedded in a card.

Ah, dreams of what we could have..

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by bdm » Thu May 31, 2007 8:14 pm

Should have a smart card like a SIM card (but bigger). You can either choose "plan" or "prepaid"!

Would work well I would think.

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

#24 Post by Redback20 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:00 am

When last in Berlin they had the same sort of system Melbourne trams have, or day ticket purchase we have here, although a vastly impressive modern underground & surface train system, far superior to anything else I've seen in europe. But Smartcards are the way to go and given the general high standard of train networks in Germany it wouldn't surprise me if some of their other cities had such a solution.

Madrid and Rome are both similar to our multitrip system and most british cities still use paper tickets so I don't think we're badly off as far as ticketing systems go. And on prices I'd say SA is right up there for value. Maybe we'll get Smartcards when they overhaul the train network?

As far as unreliable tickets go, my understanding is that the main culprit isn't the system but customers allowing prolonged proximity to such as mobile phone emissions, which will wipe the magnetic strip... which TA point out regularly and to anyone who 'breaks' their ticket.

I've never had a single ticket that failed, but then again my phone never comes anywhere near my ticket. Whereas mrs redback constantly keeps her multitrip and phone side by side in her handbag... and "oh look my ticket isnt working again" !!! :x

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#25 Post by rogue » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:23 am

All I can say is Oyster.

Very user friendly and flexible system.

See link... http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oysteronline/2732.aspx

Tom
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by Tom » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:58 pm

I recently went to perth and I think that what they use there is alot better then anything else in Australia at the current time. You have a Smartcard and can add up to $250 onto it, you can do this by phone, internet, or at stations and on buses.
Garno!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#27 Post by Shuz » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:13 pm

not familiar ith the type of ticketing systems used worldwide, but I prefer the ones the size of your credit card.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by AG » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:10 pm

As already mentioned above, some cities have already introduced successful forms of smart cards for their public transport systems, such as the Oyster card in London.

In Singapore they have EzyLink and in Hong Kong they have the Octopus. Hong Kong's Octopus Card is just about if not the most successful smart card in use on any transport network in any city in the world. The Octopus Card is a contactless card which stores money electronically and can be used beyond the public transport system. It is so successful that it is now an accepted form of currency in the shops as well and is also used for vending machines and as a security device in some buildings (such as 2IFC).

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by bmw boy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:27 pm

what's up with all these sea creature names for pucblic transport ticketing systems haha

London's Oyster and Hong Kong's Octopus :lol:

any idea's for adelaide's name for the possible new system lol? ... how a bout leafy sea dragon since it's native to SA

Will409
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by Will409 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:51 pm

Why not call the new system in Adelaide (when or if it arrives) the 'Cockle'? It keeps with the sea theme but if the system does fail badly, you can say that it has cocked up.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.