[COM] Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
serca
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Convention Centre | $350m

#1126 Post by serca » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:54 pm

In my opinion the new convention centre will look fantastic

Matt
Legendary Member!

#1127 Post by Matt » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:57 pm

Love the look of the first stage - second stage, not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1128 Post by Will » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:34 am

I suspect that both cranes will be removed this weekend.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#1129 Post by Phantom » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:25 pm

Really? I assume it's within weeks of completion, if that's the case?
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1130 Post by Ben » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:37 pm

Stage 2 of the upgrade (Plenary and surrounds) is expected to be approved at Thursdays DAC meeting.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1131 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:22 pm

Out of curiosity - have the government already allocated funding to Stage 2 of this project? Or could a change in government see Stage 2 cancelled. I really hope not, it would ruin any hope at this building contrasting as one.

Waewick

#1132 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#1133 Post by Phantom » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:25 pm

Drove along the Morphett St bridge today, heading citybound. I still can't get over how much of an improvement this is as what it was.

Also, once you pass the building and see North Terrace below, it makes you realise how high this actually is!

Cheers for the pics from today, Waewick. I take it you were just walking around the city today, looking like a tourist? :P

Waewick

#1134 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:04 pm

Only at Adelaide Oval, but I did get some odd looks.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#1135 Post by Honey of a City » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:52 pm

The exterior panels are going up on the river side. Not sure how the brown and beige colours reflect the South Aussie outback as was the stated intention, but it looks pretty good so far. The panel installation process is relatively fast so the river façade should be pretty well finished soon.

obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

#1136 Post by obituary resider » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:42 pm

Honey of a City wrote:The exterior panels are going up on the river side. Not sure how the brown and beige colours reflect the South Aussie outback as was the stated intention, but it looks pretty good so far. The panel installation process is relatively fast so the river façade should be pretty well finished soon.
The 'reflecting the outback or flinders rangers' or whatever it was mean to be sounds like architectural wank talk to me. I actually think it would look great to leave it with a finish similar to how it looks right now and let the impressive/expensive structure do all the heavy aesthetic work. Happy to be proven wrong though I am confident its going to look overdone with the proposed finish while also looking completely out of place and awkward next to the existing convention centre.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#1137 Post by Honey of a City » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:24 pm

obituary resider wrote:
Honey of a City wrote:The exterior panels are going up on the river side. Not sure how the brown and beige colours reflect the South Aussie outback as was the stated intention, but it looks pretty good so far. The panel installation process is relatively fast so the river façade should be pretty well finished soon.
The 'reflecting the outback or flinders rangers' or whatever it was mean to be sounds like architectural wank talk to me. I actually think it would look great to leave it with a finish similar to how it looks right now and let the impressive/expensive structure do all the heavy aesthetic work. Happy to be proven wrong though I am confident its going to look overdone with the proposed finish while also looking completely out of place and awkward next to the existing convention centre.
I was thinking that (about the current finish) the other night when the oval floodlights were on, and the silver under-cladding picked up the light, silhouetting the shape. It looked very dramatic. Agree it does look awkward though in its setting. Somehow I think that this was the intention. I think most architects would agree that there's one thing worse than people offended by their work, and that's people not taking any notice at all.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#1138 Post by Dog » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:59 am

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#1139 Post by slenderman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:34 pm

I'm not going to lie - I don't particularly like this building at the moment. It's in an awkward location and doesn't really complement the current building to the east of it. However, I can see why some people would like it, and I'll wait until it's done to judge it properly (there will be new cladding over that iron).

On another note, those boat sheds are looking like bigger eyesores by the day. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for rowing, but they should be moved or torn down and replaced with something new. Are horrible little old low-rise 60s? buildings right near some of our iconic buildings visible in the postcard shot an image we want to showcase the capital of South Australia? - I say no.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#1140 Post by Phantom » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:21 pm

slenderman wrote:On another note, those boat sheds are looking like bigger eyesores by the day. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for rowing, but they should be moved or torn down and replaced with something new. Are horrible little old low-rise 60s? buildings right near some of our iconic buildings visible in the postcard shot an image we want to showcase the capital of South Australia? - I say no.
I'm with you here. I mean, even placing them over the other side of the river, near the tennis courts would be a nice idea.

If they wanted to cover up the carpark under the Convention Centre, they could easily do this with hedges, shrubs and general foliage. I reckon it would look pretty awesome like that.