[U/C] Westfield Tea Tree Plaza (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
slenderman
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: ONH: Tea Tree Plaza Upgrade | $190m

#391 Post by slenderman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:02 am

Yes, I too enjoy Salsa's, pushbutton. I LOVE Mexican food, even if what we get here in Australia is more Tex-Mex. Salsa's make nice quesadillas and the burritos aren't too bad. Also the Mexi-Crinkle things they make are addictive for some reason, even if they are in no way Mexican. The lime jarritos drink is excellent. If you're just drinking coke or water there, get a jarritos instead. It's much better.
Nathan wrote:
pushbutton wrote:Whilst we're a bit off topic, I love Salsas and think as fast food goes it's about as good as it gets. However I had the misfortune to try the new slow cooked pork burrito today. Slightly cheaper than the other burritos, and for very good reason! Be warned. Avoid!
Don't bother with Salsas. Hunt out the La Cantina Co food truck instead. Much better burritos, and lately they've been doing Taco Tuesdays on North Tce outside Adelaide Uni with tacos for $2 each. Out in the 'burbs though, Arriba Grill would be the choice.
Never heard of La Cantina Co. Will have to try that someday. I do love Arriba though. They make damn good burritos and are quite close to me, although they're on the pricey side. The rest of their menu (tacos and nachos) aren't great though, the shells taste a little chewy.

If there was one Mexican place I'd love to come to Adelaide, it would be Guzman y Gomez. Whenever I go to Sydney or Melbourne I try and get some. They're my equivalent of Krispy Kremes (although they'll be here soon). They make excellent spicy chicken burritos and quesadillas. The pork nachos were also pretty good. However, their expansion plan seems to be "avoid Adelaide at all costs". They have restaurants in the big 4, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Canberra, Townsville and even some little town called Erina (wherever that is) but not Adelaide.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#392 Post by ghs » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:35 pm

Crepe Story near the bottom of the escalators near woolworths has closed down.

The crepes were nice there, but I did notice that it was never that busy.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#393 Post by pushbutton » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:00 pm

ghs wrote:Crepe Story near the bottom of the escalators near woolworths has closed down.

The crepes were nice there, but I did notice that it was never that busy.

I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. I like the occasional crepe, but a little maple syrup, a spueeze of lemon juice, and perhaps some fresh berries is all I want on them The ones at Crepe story were certainly unusual, but not in a good way. People are quite rightly more conscious of their health these days, and to have a crepe with a cheesecake on top of it is just disgusting!

The other thing about crepes is that they are one of the very cheapest snacks / meals you can make. Yet places like crepe story manage to make them expensive!

I now enjoy crepes the healthy way. 1 ripe banana, mashed.
2 whole egss.
A small amount of rolled oats until the mixture reaches my preferred consistency.
Mix well.
Pour into high quality non-stick pan and cook in the usual way, with a bit of extra virgin olive oil.

Squeeze on some lemon juice (from a real lemon, not a bottle)
Pour on some REAL maple syrup, not the fake stuff.
Add fresh berries (optional but recommended)
ENJOY, knowing that it not only tastes great, but it's lowering your cholesterol!!!

The Scooter Guy

#394 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:00 pm

Hobby Matrix (I suspect) will be relocating from Fairview Green to Tea Tree Plaza next to Myer's entrance soon.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Waewick

#395 Post by Waewick » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Wow a lesson in healthy crepes...

Variety is the spice of life, you crepes sound utterly boring.

And no I'm not obese, I can have unhealthy crepes and skip dinner.

Aidan

#396 Post by Aidan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:49 am

slenderman wrote:
If there was one Mexican place I'd love to come to Adelaide, it would be Guzman y Gomez. Whenever I go to Sydney or Melbourne I try and get some. They're my equivalent of Krispy Kremes (although they'll be here soon). They make excellent spicy chicken burritos and quesadillas. The pork nachos were also pretty good. However, their expansion plan seems to be "avoid Adelaide at all costs". They have restaurants in the big 4, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Canberra, Townsville and even some little town called Erina (wherever that is) but not Adelaide.
Erina is on the NSW Central Coast.

While we're on the subject of quesadillas, is there anywhere that sells good tortillas for anyone who wants to make their own? The Old El Paso ones are only sold in kits these days, and all the rest seem to be either gluten free, maize free, or have annoying grainy bits in them.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ghs

#397 Post by ghs » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:32 am

I made a mistake, crepe story is open again.

It definitely was closed a couple of times when I walked past earlier in the week.

The food is nice, I am glad that it's still going.

Nort

#398 Post by Nort » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:10 pm

Aidan wrote:
slenderman wrote:
Erina is on the NSW Central Coast.

While we're on the subject of quesadillas, is there anywhere that sells good tortillas for anyone who wants to make their own? The Old El Paso ones are only sold in kits these days, and all the rest seem to be either gluten free, maize free, or have annoying grainy bits in them.

Make your own tortillas using a frying pan, it's pretty easy once you get practice and tastes so much better.

Aidan

#399 Post by Aidan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:25 pm

Nort wrote:Make your own tortillas using a frying pan, it's pretty easy once you get practice and tastes so much better.
Where do you get the masa harina?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#400 Post by SRW » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:41 am

Aidan wrote:
Nort wrote:Make your own tortillas using a frying pan, it's pretty easy once you get practice and tastes so much better.
Where do you get the masa harina?
Chile Mojo on Magill Road (formerly The Parade) stocks masa harina and just about everything else you need for Mexican cooking.
Keep Adelaide Weird

duke
High Rise Poster!

#401 Post by duke » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:09 pm

Interesting development. It is still not the proposed joining of TT+ to TTP though :(

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 7060304257
THE identity of a planned $4 million supermarket with rooftop carpark at Tea Tree Plaza is shrouded in mystery.
Westfield has lodged a development application for the 1540sq m building, near Modbury Ave, with Tea Tree Gully Council.
The plan includes 70 car spaces on the supermarket’s roof and a bridge to connect it to the neighbouring rooftop carpark at Plaza’s existing Coles supermarket.
The Leader Messenger viewed the publicly available plans at the council chambers, which referred to parts of the proposed building being “Aldi fire red” and “Aldi back of house”.
But the chain has refused to confirm that the plans are for one of its stores.

The Scooter Guy

#402 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:39 pm

duke wrote:Interesting development. It is still not the proposed joining of TT+ to TTP though :(

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 7060304257
THE identity of a planned $4 million supermarket with rooftop carpark at Tea Tree Plaza is shrouded in mystery.
Westfield has lodged a development application for the 1540sq m building, near Modbury Ave, with Tea Tree Gully Council.
The plan includes 70 car spaces on the supermarket’s roof and a bridge to connect it to the neighbouring rooftop carpark at Plaza’s existing Coles supermarket.
The Leader Messenger viewed the publicly available plans at the council chambers, which referred to parts of the proposed building being “Aldi fire red” and “Aldi back of house”.
But the chain has refused to confirm that the plans are for one of its stores.
So this gives me another hint that Toys R Us here will be closing permanently in the near future...
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#403 Post by duke » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:54 am

The Scooter Guy wrote:
So this gives me another hint that Toys R Us here will be closing permanently in the near future...

What does this have to do with Toys R Us? From what I have heard they have been doing quite well since Savers opened.
The whole centre has a lot more foot traffic.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#404 Post by pushbutton » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:50 pm

I hope I'm wrong, but that makes it sound like they'll be making the centre even more of a mess than it already is.

Surely with the amount of money Westfield has, you'd think they'd want to enhance the public perception of their brand wherever possible. Messy, confusing, and ugly buildings don't accomplish that.

The Scooter Guy

#405 Post by The Scooter Guy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:28 pm

Somehow related to Toys "R" Us, but I've just noticed that the 'Playground Donated by TRU' sign at Civic Park has just disappeared.
ImageTea Tree Gully Civic Park Play Ground by RS 1990, on Flickr
ImageTea Tree Gully Civic Park Play Ground by RS 1990, on Flickr

I guess this playground will succumb to Tea Tree Gully's playground upgrade program of next year!