News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#2776 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:29 am

It was on the news a couple of weeks ago I think - something to do with him parking illegally outside of Parliament...

In a way when I heard him on the radio the other day I couldn't help feeling a bit sorry for him - he's just a doddery old bloke who with every passing year becomes even more out of touch with the modern world. He doesn't see how by not looking at the big picture and blocking change mainly for the sake of implementing his own outdated ideology (which, when it comes down to it, is about nothing more than keeping his own little upper-middle class bubble intact) he is just adding to the chains that have been holding Adelaide back for the past few decades as the world has moved on but Adelaide hasn’t kept up.

I appreciate that change must be difficult to accept as you get older – changes in technology, mobility and social attitudes/trends are generally sparked and championed by younger generations. Yes, we need to balance the needs and requirements of every generation but, let’s face it, Adelaide hasn’t done the very best job of keeping up with change since the 1970s – hence the seemingly sharp correction that is occurring now that most likely seems so threatening to Mark and his kind.

Like it or lump it things are different to the 1950s – people nowadays are quite happy to extend and enjoy their youth by ten years longer than their parents and grandparents did. Settling down with a family and a mortgage is more likely to occur in your 30s than your 20s. Hell, who can blame them - we’re living longer and working longer than ever so they might as well make the most of their knees and liver whilst they're in good working order. Obviously there are many exceptions but the trend nowadays seems to be for the younger generations to use bikes and public transport as opposed to cars, to live centrally within a city rather than the suburbs, to demand a *very* wide range of social options – pubs, cafes, restaurants, live music etc – both on weeknights and weekends - and to seek (and create) employment in digital-based enterprises rather than the traditional office, manual and servicing industries.

If they don’t find it here in Adelaide then they’ll find it in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, London, Berlin, Madrid, New York or any number of progressive and exciting cities around the world. We can create all of the jobs and industry we like here in SA but if they can’t have a good and relatively care-free time in their 20s the youth will bugger off anyway and find a job and a more attractive lifestyle elsewhere. Some of them will come back but many of them won’t.

Something exciting has happened in Adelaide over the last few years – there are more young people around. Not just the ones who would have stayed in Adelaide anyway but the ones who look more in-place in Melbourne. You know the sort – the ones who ride their vintage bikes along Rundle Street and buy their music on vinyl. These are the type of people Adelaide needs to retain in order to revitalise the city, to start new digital enterprises and spend a good percentage of their disposable mortgage-free income in shops, cafes, bars, events, food stalls and the like. When Mark’s finally too old to leave his house or drive his precious car these are the people who will be driving Adelaide’s economy. They are its future.

For the sake of the city, Hamilton and the anti-change brigade should think very carefully about their agendas and step aside to allow Adelaide to continue its growth and sorely needed revitalisation. I genuinely believe that they mean well enough – but haven’t fully considered the long-term damage they would happily inflict upon Adelaide out of sheer blinkered naivety and outdated thinking.

Anyway, I digress. Go Yarwood! :banana:
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jimbly
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2777 Post by jimbly » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:32 pm

On a different topic...
In Australia, in an agreement between Adelaide City Council, the South Australian government and Cisco intends to establish Adelaide as a leading global connected city, but the idea of smart garbage bins and other smart things are not on its must-do list
:applause:

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/government ... 1cbnt.html

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2778 Post by Wayno » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Was chatting about the election with a neighbour on Gilles St yesterday, as we watched a crew of workers replace gas mains.

*IF* Yarwood fails to reclaim his mayoral role, I believe he *may* pop up in state politics. Minister for "Sticking it to the new Mayor and Councillors who crossed him". Would be effective - a visionary role with State Govt powers and Council inside knowledge & contacts.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#2779 Post by Matt » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:36 pm

If he doesn't win, it'd be a shame if the city/state was to lose someone with his experience and insight.

david
High Rise Poster!

#2780 Post by david » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:35 pm

Notes from Councillor David Plumridge AM - Issue 122

- Another Nail in Councils' Collective Coffin

- Picking the Best Players for the Team

- Decsions made at the Council Meeting on 28 October 2014

If I am not successful in being re-elected as an Area Councillor, this will be my last set of Notes.
It has at times been a challenge but I have enjoyed the chance to convey Council decisions in a quick and concise way and to express my views on some of the issues that I have seen as important to the city and the role of Local Government in the overall scheme of things.
Notes from Councillor Issue 122.pdf
(254.52 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
FOR AREA COUNCILLOR VIT 1 FOR DAVID PLUMRIDGE

David Plumridge AM
Area Councillor
City of Adelaide.

[Shuz]

#2781 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:58 am

No doubt Yarwood would run in state politics if he loses the Lord Mayor role.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#2782 Post by mshagg » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:42 am

Well for what it's worth David, you got a big #1 from me for area councilor. Let's hope that's far from the last set of notes.

It's an important election and the city stands to lose much of the momentum gained in recent years with the likes of Hamilton gunning for the LM's robes. Perhaps this is why I've felt more engaged with the local govt election than ever before - hopefully I'm not alone in that regard. We can sit here and point at specific developments and strategies, but heading into my ~5th year as a CBD resident, what strikes me is the overall change in the feel and mood of the city. Ive been off work for the last few weeks and start each day with a constitutional pedal to a cafe somewhere in the city for breakfast - swinging past recent developments, areas where activation has been a focus - it's hard to put one's finger on but it's like a little bit more of the March buzz lingers around every year.

Llessur2002

#2783 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:40 pm

A few days old now so you may have already heard it but here's the link to the 5-way Mayoral debate on the ABC:

http://blogs.abc.net.au/sa/2014/10/who- ... mayor.html

Not sure Goers is the most impartial of hosts (read: horrifically and unprofessionally biased) and some of the views aired by certain candidates are quite depressing but it's worth a listen...

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#2784 Post by Shahkar » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:54 pm

Martin Haese is new Adelaide City Council Lord Mayor

BUSINESSMAN Martin Haese is Adelaide’s new Lord Mayor after beating incumbent Stephen Yarwood in a tightly fought contest.

Mr Haese, 49, won by just 218 votes following the distribution of preferences.

It was the second narrowest victory in recent council history.

After a dramatic day of counting, which saw almost 36 per cent of the city population vote, there was mounting speculation that Mr Yarwood had done enough to win.

But by 7.15pm on Saturday night, Mr Haese prevailed with 3423 votes to Mr Yarwood’s 3205 votes.

The result denied Mr Yarwood, 43, a second and final term in office.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 7116988653

Nathan

#2785 Post by Nathan » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Not only is Yarwood out for Haese, but it doesn't look David will be returning to council either. Moran and Wilkinson have been returned as area councillors to further rub salt into the wounds. All in all, a pretty bad day for our city.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2786 Post by jk1237 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:50 pm

Pretty depressing day for our city. Yarwood got the most votes by far, but the 4 conservatives preferenced each other so one would get in. How boring. I guess Haese or whatever his name is, is the least worst of the senile candidates.

Anyway the Adelaide establishment maintains its control of keeping Adelaide as dull and conservative as possible. Was a positive few years though

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2787 Post by Will » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:00 pm

From the ABC:
Businessman Martin Haese elected as new Lord Mayor of Adelaide, ousting Stephen Yarwood

Updated about 2 hours agoSun 9 Nov 2014, 5:01pm

Adelaide City Council Lord Mayor-elect Martin Haese says unifying council and engaging the business community will be his top priorities in the job.

The Adelaide businessman ousted Stephen Yarwood last night in a close mayoral race, winning by just 218 votes.

We need to just look at how the Adelaide City Council is geared in terms of its debt and its overheads, but in the same breath there is still plenty that can be done.

Mr Haese said he felt honoured to have been elected.

"It was a close election result, undoubtedly. I'm very very appreciative and humbled to soon be here, so to speak," he said.

"It was councillor Mark Hamilton's preferences which came my way late yesterday which ultimately determined the result."

As well as working to unify the council and engage with the business community, Mr Haese said he would now look at the internal efficiencies of the Adelaide City Council and the basic infrastructure needs of the city.

"We need to just look at how the Adelaide City Council is geared in terms of its debt and its overheads, but in the same breath there is still plenty that can be done," he said.

"There's a lot of basic infrastructure work around the City of Adelaide, just like the roads, rates and those types of things, which are fundamental to local government, which have probably been neglected a little bit.

"So we just need to turn the focus back to those, but at the same time, we need to engage the people, we need to engage the business so that we can build some prosperity. Once we've built prosperity it makes things a lot easier to be paid for as we move forward."

Mr Haese paid tribute to Mr Yarwood's work over the past four years and said the outgoing mayor has been instrumental in bringing vibrancy to the city.

"Stephen has done an instrumental job in tipping Adelaide in a new direction and that new direction really has been a city that welcomes vibrancy, a city that engages with youth, and a city that has a very different tone to it," Mr Haese said.

"On those measures I absolutely congratulate Stephen Yarwood. I tip my hat to him, he's done a great job, he's worked exceptionally hard."

Stephen Yarwood has 'no regrets'

In a statement this morning, Mr Yarwood said while he was disappointed over his loss of the position, he had learnt a lot over the past four years and would look forward to spending time with his family over Christmas.

"It has been a privilege to serve the community, I have learnt a lot and worked hard to make a positive contribution to the city we all love," Mr Yarwood said.

"I've dedicated my professional life to the liveability, sustainability and productivity of cities and this passion has not been dented by the result.

"I will apply what I have learnt to cities and towns nationally and internationally to make the world a better place."

Mr Yarwood thanked his family, and in particular his wife, his friends and supporters for standing by him over the past seven years.

"Regardless, I know many people are proud of what council has achieved in the last four years. The city is a better place and I have no regrets," he said.

Regardless, I know many people are proud of what council has achieved in the last 4 years. The city is a better place and I have no regrets.

"I wish Martin Haese all the best in what is a demanding role."

Electoral commissioner Kay Mousley said Mr Yarwood was several hundred votes ahead in first preferences.

"It was only when they've gone through the full distribution of preferences that the tables have turned and that is what is provisionally been declared as the outcome at this point in time," she said.

Six other new mayors have been provisionally elected including Angela Keneally in Charles Sturt Council who replaces Kirsten Alexander, and councillor Stephen Patterson who will take over from Ken Rollond as the Mayor of Holdfast Bay.

Sam Johnson has been provisionally declared elected for Port Augusta and Jim Pollock has been provisionally declared elected in Whyalla, returning for his fourth term.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2788 Post by SRW » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:16 pm

It's a pretty devastating loss, not just because Yarwood's first four years deserved the validation of reelection, but that we'll miss out on what he could've achieved across four more. My only hope is that the passion he has inspired in Adelaideans is deep enough to stay the course, and that the agenda of change is one the council feels compelled to continue pursuing. And perhaps Yarwood will find another position from which he may keep pushing forward Adelaide's revitalisation.

And David, if the worse comes to be and you are not returned, thank you very much for your service and your engagement. Truly, you have demonstrated the best of what local government can and should be.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#2789 Post by Nathan » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:07 pm

SRW wrote:And David, if the worse comes to be and you are not returned, thank you very much for your service and your engagement. Truly, you have demonstrated the best of what local government can and should be.
I'll echo that. Thank you for your service to the City of Adelaide, David. Whilst I no longer live in the CBD, you were approachable and helpful when I was, and your engagement with us on the forum along with your dedication to the betterment of our city should be applauded.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#2790 Post by mshagg » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:54 pm

I would echo the sentiments of the previous posters - thanks for your service to the city of Adelaide, David.

As for the election of Haese, Im not sure what to think - because during the campaign he really shared little with us in the elecorate about what his plans are and still seemingly not keen to show those cards, despite being named lord mayor elect. On the positive side he's not as outwardly negative as the man whose preferences got him the job, and has rightly praised Yarwood for what has been achieved over the past 4 years.

Of concern is that a "pro-business agenda" in adelaide is typically synonymous with preferencing cars and car parking ahead of all other interests... and you'd have to be pretty nervous as a food truck operator, too.