News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#2566 Post by claybro » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:22 pm

interesting to note that Adelaide has the closest average distance between stations...and the slowest system. Perths system does achieve high speeds, particularly on the North/South lines where speeds up to 130km/h are reached. Perth however was designed as a commuter system , which is to move large numbers, long distances via park and ride or bus and ride stations located in far flung suburbs mainly to get commuters into the CBD. Adelaide appears to be trying to have a bet both ways, by having stations spaced so close as to be more like a metro system, which is fine in a city of high density, but unfortunately, the stations in Adelaide rarely service the areas where people actually need to go ie large commercial centres. Electrification aside, Adelaide has ended up with possibly the worst of both worlds, a slow system, with lots of stops, and stations that dont adequately service local communitues. The answer I guess, is to remove many interim stations stuck out in suburban side streets and better use local buses to feed into larger stations, and spend a few billion, locating the larger stations to locations such as UNDER the Marion centre, Elizabeth city Centre, Castle Plaza, West Lakes Mall the new Kilburn shopping precinct etc. Only then will people really embrace a train travel culture in Adelaide.

Nathan

#2567 Post by Nathan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:32 pm

claybro wrote:interesting to note that Adelaide has the closest average distance between stations...and the slowest system. Perths system does achieve high speeds, particularly on the North/South lines where speeds up to 130km/h are reached. Perth however was designed as a commuter system , which is to move large numbers, long distances via park and ride or bus and ride stations located in far flung suburbs mainly to get commuters into the CBD. Adelaide appears to be trying to have a bet both ways, by having stations spaced so close as to be more like a metro system, which is fine in a city of high density, but unfortunately, the stations in Adelaide rarely service the areas where people actually need to go ie large commercial centres. Electrification aside, Adelaide has ended up with possibly the worst of both worlds, a slow system, with lots of stops, and stations that dont adequately service local communitues. The answer I guess, is to remove many interim stations stuck out in suburban side streets and better use local buses to feed into larger stations, and spend a few billion, locating the larger stations to locations such as UNDER the Marion centre, Elizabeth city Centre, Castle Plaza, West Lakes Mall the new Kilburn shopping precinct etc. Only then will people really embrace a train travel culture in Adelaide.
Or run two services on each line, a local and a rapid. Rapid services only stopping at larger stations (that you suggest) and local stopping at all. For people who want quick access from a local station, they then need only catch the local service up to the next large station and transfer to the rapid. This of course would require better co-ordination and timing of trains, and also a doubling of tracks at large station. Works much better than the current AdelaideMetro idea of 'express' services which skip half the stations and then stop at every stop.

[Shuz]

#2568 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:14 pm

Adelaide could definitely do with closing down a hell of a lot of stations. The first one that comes to mind is the Parafield Gardens station, which is only 600m north of Mawson Lakes.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#2569 Post by Hooligan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:56 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Adelaide could definitely do with closing down a hell of a lot of stations. The first one that comes to mind is the Parafield Gardens station, which is only 600m north of Mawson Lakes.
I think you mean Greenfields but I do agree with you. Kudla, Woodville Park and Dudley Park just to name a few off the top of my head should be closed. I have mixed feelings towards North Adelaide closing though.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Nathan

#2570 Post by Nathan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Hooligan wrote:I have mixed feelings towards North Adelaide closing though.
It hasn't closed, but I don't think all trains stop there.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#2571 Post by Hooligan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:31 pm

Nathan wrote:
I know it hasn't closed. It gets services on weekday mornings and evenings once per hour. I'm just not sure whether it should be closed for good or kept open.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

metro
Legendary Member!

#2572 Post by metro » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:09 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Nathan wrote:
I know it hasn't closed. It gets services on weekday mornings and evenings once per hour. I'm just not sure whether it should be closed for good or kept open.
North Adelaide had a one month trial of all train services stopping there which proved highly successful, then the trial ended and now hardly anyone uses it :lol:

I reckon they should upgrade North Adelaide to be better connected to the Bowden Development and have more services stopping there, it's only 150-200m from the area which is being developed presently, while the existing station at Bowden and the tram are about 250-300m away. Seems like a logical thing for a transit oriented development to have as many transport links available as possible.

Patrick_27

#2573 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:36 am

Close East Terrace station on the Seaford Line, I kid you not; I have never seen it used... Everyone uses Emerson.

Close Goodwood Station on the grounds that it doesn't actually serve the logical purpose of being a PT hub for trams and trains, and now with the Wayville station open, the short distance between the two stations is ridiculous.

Close Mile End, no-one uses it...

And close Torrens Park; I don't know how Hawthorne and Millswood Stations were culled in '95 considering Torrens Park is literally 500 metres from Mitcham Station.

Nathan

#2574 Post by Nathan » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:04 am

metro wrote:I reckon they should upgrade North Adelaide to be better connected to the Bowden Development and have more services stopping there, it's only 150-200m from the area which is being developed presently, while the existing station at Bowden and the tram are about 250-300m away. Seems like a logical thing for a transit oriented development to have as many transport links available as possible.
I believe access from Bowden East will be improved with the parklands upgrade - there'll be improvements to the path under the Park Tce bridge, plus a better pedestrian crossing around Fifth St I think. Possibly some improvements to the track crossing as well (which is good, because that's awful at the moment).

What ever happened about the cafe/restaurant in the station building? It was leased out, and then...nothing.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2575 Post by crawf » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Adelaide has way too many train stations... many of which are at very poor standard, hidden from view and rarely see people.

Though with Millswood reopening, it's unlikely we will see a culling of train stations.
Nathan wrote:
metro wrote:I reckon they should upgrade North Adelaide to be better connected to the Bowden Development and have more services stopping there, it's only 150-200m from the area which is being developed presently, while the existing station at Bowden and the tram are about 250-300m away. Seems like a logical thing for a transit oriented development to have as many transport links available as possible.
I believe access from Bowden East will be improved with the parklands upgrade - there'll be improvements to the path under the Park Tce bridge, plus a better pedestrian crossing around Fifth St I think. Possibly some improvements to the track crossing as well (which is good, because that's awful at the moment).

What ever happened about the cafe/restaurant in the station building? It was leased out, and then...nothing.
Good to hear. I know there is plans for a pedestrian bridge closer to Port Road. Though it wouldn't hurt to possibly have a second pedestrian bridge connecting the northern end of Bowden Village to North Adelaide Railway Station.

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#2576 Post by fkj » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:35 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Close East Terrace station on the Seaford Line, I kid you not; I have never seen it used... Everyone uses Emerson.

Close Goodwood Station on the grounds that it doesn't actually serve the logical purpose of being a PT hub for trams and trains, and now with the Wayville station open, the short distance between the two stations is ridiculous.

Close Mile End, no-one uses it...

And close Torrens Park; I don't know how Hawthorne and Millswood Stations were culled in '95 considering Torrens Park is literally 500 metres from Mitcham Station.
From catching the Seaford Line every day, from the Clarence Park station, I can't see how you can possibly say nobody uses it. There are always at least 10 people waiting for a train during peak times, and at least one or two off peak, the same with getting off, I've never disembarked on my own.

I know it's been suggested previously but I think moving mile end north, to service the back of the RAH would be good, too many school kids use it every day to close it, that's a pretty large loss of patronage if you shut it.

EDIT:
To clarify, my preffered location for the relocated Mile End would be just slightly North of Port Road, with pedestrian access under Port Road then through the parklands for the school kids. This location also gives you access directly into the West Side of NRAH and leaves you within A 10 minute walk from the proposed hotel/office/apartment development around HQ.
Placing the station here also gives trains a clean run from Port Road to Anzac Hwy.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#2577 Post by mattwinter » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:30 am

I use Clarence Park semi regularly as well, and would definitely say it's one of the more used stations.

Perhaps the post about everyone using Emerson is misguided because generally the trains that stop at Emerson skip Clarence Park and vice versa?

PeFe

#2578 Post by PeFe » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:04 pm

The above discussion highlights the need for Adelaide Metro to carefully consider the future viability of some of its railway stations.
A longer term vision is needed on how a future system should operate, especially regarding the number of stations, placement and interaction of those stations within the local community and other transport modes, and a view to speeding train journeys to the outer suburbs (by having fewer stops).
The electrification of the train lines presents as an ideal opportunity to do this, but unfortunately I think a window has now closed on the Seaford line, but the Gawler line is an open book, ready to be rewritten.
Remember Adelaide has more train stations than Perth, but a mere 30% of patronage numbers...
http://chartingtransport.com/2010/11/13 ... ge-trends/

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#2579 Post by Westside » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:48 am

In every city other than Adelaide a patronage of
at least 10 people waiting for a train during peak times, and at least one or two off peak
is very low and not worth continuing a train service. 10 people at a bus stop in peak is still not considered very busy.

Yes, some people will be affected, but finding alternative transport (ie a comparable bus route) for a few dozen people should be investigated over the savings gained from a few hundred other train passengers.

metro
Legendary Member!

#2580 Post by metro » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm curious to know how many people use Kudla station. I'm also curious to know how much it costs to maintain the station and provide the services. :roll:

Literally surrounded by fields, is it even well used?: http://goo.gl/maps/gnJB5