News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#3106 Post by monotonehell » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:49 am

Wayno wrote:
monotonehell wrote:It's time council elections were only open to residents. The last election was hijacked by business interests voting multiple times.
voting multiple times! how so? do tell?

What's the % split between residential vs business voters (assuming everyone can vote but once)?
An individual can only vote once in each election, which is something to keep in mind if you own a business or multiple properties within the City of Adelaide area.

Residents/Individuals - It’s important to make sure the declaration is signed by the person whose name appears on the ballot pack
Resident/Business owner - In the instance that you qualify as both a resident and a business owner in the City of Adelaide, you should use the resident ballot and allow someone else involved in the management of the business to exercise that vote on the business’ behalf.
Body Corporate - In the Adelaide City Council elections, an officer of a body corporate is entitled to vote on behalf of the body corporate, as opposed to a nominated person as is the case for all other Councils. An officer of a body corporate means a director, manager, secretary or public officer of the body corporate and includes any other person who takes part in the management of the affairs of the body corporate.
Groups - A member of that group or an officer of a body corporate that is a member of the group can vote.
Use your imagination as to what happens here.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#3107 Post by Vee » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:01 am

Reducing the 30 Food Trucks compromise solution to a mere 10 is effectively sounding the death knell of the MFV culture in the city, and with it, the loss of vibrancy and choice.

I can't see how the Fork in the Road 'events' and others can operate as before with so many MFV to be forced out by a ridiculous (and anti-public sentiment) 10 limit which will act to make them unviable/unsustainable.

Once they're gone, other events eg in the park lands (as well as city life) will be poorer for their absence.

I hope this whole ACC vote / (trashing public consultancy and compromise solution) debacle can be re-visited and overturned.
Good on Premier, Jay Weatherill for calling out the 'no change' old guard and standing up for the MFV and vibrancy and diversity they bring to our city.

Food trucks are part and parcel of so many other progressive cities and contribute to the appeal of living, working, visiting and enjoying the city. Strangling MFV culture is a retrograde step.

This Instagram pic (via lyndzzz26) sums up the feelings of many disillusioned folk.

Food Trucks Unite! The city is not the same without them...
https://instagram.com/p/9b2KYFv1tG/

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3108 Post by Wayno » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:16 am

monotonehell wrote:Use your imagination as to what happens here.
So some businesses can vote twice. Once by the owner (as a city resident), and a 2nd person on behalf of the business, regardless of whether city resident or not.

I also suppose businesses are more likely to vote than residents.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3109 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:23 am

Vee wrote:I can't see how the Fork in the Road 'events' and others can operate as before with so many MFV to be forced out by a ridiculous (and anti-public sentiment) 10 limit which will act to make them unviable/unsustainable.
Good question. Would Fork in the Road be classed as a 'major event' and therefore be excluded from the 10 van limit? I don't remember reading anything about it.

Nathan

#3110 Post by Nathan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:01 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Vee wrote:I can't see how the Fork in the Road 'events' and others can operate as before with so many MFV to be forced out by a ridiculous (and anti-public sentiment) 10 limit which will act to make them unviable/unsustainable.
Good question. Would Fork in the Road be classed as a 'major event' and therefore be excluded from the 10 van limit? I don't remember reading anything about it.
I assume it would be, because they've been allowed to host vans that don't have permits at all in the past.

The problem is that for many trucks - only having Fork would not be viable, and would likely have to shut up shot altogether.

Llessur2002

#3111 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:11 pm

I'd be interested to know whether Habiad's claims that
"looking at data over the last couple of years of how many trucks operate on any given day in the city of Adelaide it has never exceeded the number of eight ... outside special events."
are true.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3112 Post by Wayno » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:42 pm

Here's an idea. Zero fees, just registration, for food trucks in the park lands. Let them run wild and free...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3113 Post by Wayno » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:18 am

One of my fav Facebook sites is 'Adelaide yesterday and today'. Did you know there used to be 13 food trucks, sorry 'pie carts' in the city?

https://www.facebook.com/AdelaideYester ... 28381994:0

Vee
Legendary Member!

#3114 Post by Vee » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:01 am

Wayno wrote:One of my fav Facebook sites is 'Adelaide yesterday and today'. Did you know there used to be 13 food trucks, sorry 'pie carts' in the city?

https://www.facebook.com/AdelaideYester ... 28381994:0
Thanks, Wayno for that glimpse into the past.

Ahhh, the pie cart - home of the iconic pie floater.
In 2003, the pie floater was recognized as a South Australian icon by the National Trust of Australia.
http://www.thepiecart.com.au/piefloater.html
I remember a Pie Cart on Norwood Parade in the 70s on the site of the current Cinema Complex. And now Vili's Pie Cart has a space reserved outside Norwood Oval on SANFL game days.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3115 Post by monotonehell » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:32 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:I'd be interested to know whether Habiad's claims that
"looking at data over the last couple of years of how many trucks operate on any given day in the city of Adelaide it has never exceeded the number of eight ... outside special events."
are true.
Wayno wrote:One of my fav Facebook sites is 'Adelaide yesterday and today'. Did you know there used to be 13 food trucks, sorry 'pie carts' in the city? https://www.facebook.com/AdelaideYester ... 28381994:0
If you go back far enough, nope.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#3116 Post by Vee » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:44 pm

Food truck limits?
Confused?
Confusion reigns as council seeks legal advice on food trucks limit
When does "no more than 10 mobile food vending operators" mean "no more than 20 mobile food vending operators"?
InDaily:
http://indaily.com.au/news/2015/11/12/c ... cks-limit/

I think the food truck limits don't apply to 'Fork on the Road Events.
The 'Crafty Beer Fork' - event in Light Square on Friday, Nov 20 is advertised by ACC as having "all your favourite food trucks"...
(..... As many as can remain viable under the reduced MFV limits?!?!)

ACC:
http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/what ... -beer-fork

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3117 Post by monotonehell » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:14 pm

Vee wrote:Food truck limits?
Confused?
Confusion reigns as council seeks legal advice on food trucks limit
When does "no more than 10 mobile food vending operators" mean "no more than 20 mobile food vending operators"?
InDaily:
http://indaily.com.au/news/2015/11/12/c ... cks-limit/
Deputy Lord Mayor Houssam Abiad would not comment on this story, but has maintained that the 10-truck limit imposed last month applies only to the existing operators, not to the new vendors or bricks-and-mortar operators. Therefore, he has said, the rule is, in fact, a 20-truck limit. However, the motion Abiad proposed, which was endorsed by the council last month, does not appear to be limited to existing food truck operators.

It says that: “…no more than 10 Mobile Food Vending Operators are to be allowed to operate before 6pm on any given day, excluding special events in the City of Adelaide”.
Abiad doesn't understand what he's doing. This whole argument about food trucks affecting bricks and mortar traders has been shown to be completely false. Abaid has even admitted this, and yet he still pushed this measure through to (in his paraphrased words) counter the perception that the food trucks are bad. Plus he adds an on the fly, last minute rule about food truck limits AFTER all parties had come to a consensus.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3118 Post by crawf » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:32 pm

Original Concept

Reality - Facebook (spruiked by the Lord Mayor)

I cannot believe this costed $500k. The tree is hideous and the lighting hardly makes an impact.

Like many things, this council has no idea anymore.

What a disappointment.
Last edited by crawf on Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Patrick_27

#3119 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:53 pm

crawf wrote:Original Concept

Reality - Facebook (spruiked by the Lord Mayor)

I cannot believe this costed $500k. The tree is hideous as f*ck and the lighting hardly makes an impact.

Like many things, this council has no idea anymore.

What a disappointment.
Tell me the second photo is a prank, Crawf?

What a f*cking joke!

I'd have rather see nothing there at all then have any of that tacky crap.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3120 Post by crawf » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:07 am

Looking at the original render again, it looks like further lighting is to come.

From the Lord Mayor, Facebook
Great to see Rundle Mall unfolding with some great Christmas lighting and decorations. More to come soon. City of Adelaide
I guess we will have to wait and see, though seeing that tree and the latest progress does not give me much high hopes.

This is what we should be aiming for... just on a smaller scale.